CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Tracey Steinbach

Profile:
Unhappy Bench Body Weight

Ok.. I know I can't bench my Body weight so what do you suggest. What should I be focussing on for reps? I have no idea what to try to put on there.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Cal Jones

Profile:
Re: Bench Body Weight

Pick a weight you can do 5-6 reps with.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Jones View Post
Pick a weight you can do 5-6 reps with.
Upping your bench isn't about going in and doing what you feel like in a certain amount of time. You could get a few more lbs on your bench but you aren't going to be benching or doubling your body weight anytime soon. Is it something you want to work in with CF or something you want to concentrate solely on bench?

You can try this until you can bench your bw....
Something that can easily be worked into the beginning of a CF routine is a simple wave load with a mini deload worked in. Think of SS linear prograssion with a mini 5lb deload thrown in at the beginning of each week. This mini deload lets you progress further. It looks something like this for someone who can do 225 10 times
ex week 1 M 225 W 230 F 235
week 2 M 230 W 235 F 240
week 2 M 235 W 240 F 245 ....
Reps for this are 5,4,3,2,1 with 60 seconds of rest in between each set. In the beginning I suggest keeping rest as low as possible, sometimes just racking the bar between reps 3 and 2 and resting 10 seconds then busting out 2 reps maybe a rack and 5 sec break then do the last single. As the weight gets heavier you will want to use the entire 60 seconds.

You can run this program for a long time. In week 8, for example, if the weight starts getting heavy you may need to rest longer than 60 seconds between 5 and 4 reps.

Although you are benching 3x per week it is very easy on the CNS as you are not close to your max. After your warmup sets you should be able to make it through this in 7 minutes or less. Not a whole lot of time for what it can do. One friend I put on this maxed at 245. 8 weeks later he was getting 245 5 times at 170. He was happy.

Last edited by Kris Warner : 10-23-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Leslie Ap

Profile:

I've always been weak with my BP, and my best is about 60% BW. I agree with picking something you can do 5 or 6 of, and use that. If you need to improve your bench, do it more often and keep pushing- for extra reps and extra pounds.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Ap View Post
I've always been weak with my BP, and my best is about 60% BW. I agree with picking something you can do 5 or 6 of, and use that. If you need to improve your bench, do it more often and keep pushing- for extra reps and extra pounds.
just make sure you're not the guy in the gym doing 100 negatives with a weight they can't rep. Stay away from failure and watch your bench increase nicely.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 AM   #6
Jan Bester

Profile:

I've found the secret to upping your weight in ANY exercise is to just do them... A LOT... Something like Kris suggests is key- to maintain the rep structure while systematically increasing the weight.. I'd also do a couple extra "beyond failure" rrepetitions every now and then with a spotter to crack out some assisted reps.. Worked pretty well for me in increasing my bench 5RM by 20lb in a couple of weeks.. The biggest thing is DO THEM, and DO THEM SOME MORE...
Old 10-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #7
Cal Jones

Profile:

I meant doing 5-6 reps with in the context of Lynne.

Otherwise, most of the other posts have good info. Just watch you don't get crazy on benching. I went through a crazy benching phase in my early 20s and ended up with a permanently damaged rotator cuff. Benching is very hard on the shoulders, especially if you don't balance it with back work. Also throw in some incline dumbell presses from time to time - they're not as hard on the shoulders and work both arms more equally.