CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:
To all you cops out there!

I'm starting my law enforcement program (hopefully I'll get accepted!) in September, and if everything goes smoothly, in less than 3 years I will be an official cop!

So I just wanted to gather as many testimonials/opinions/stories about the job as a cop, and also about the effect of doing Crossfit religiously has on your job.

Last edited by Nicolas Castonguay : 03-29-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Mike Deavers

Profile:
Re: To all you cops out there!

Best of luck to you. I'm nine years on, and still find honor and satisfaction in the profession. Do right, get fit, and take care of business. Value your friends, love your family, and keep tabs on your sense of humor. It will go a long way towards warding off *******ery. Starting on CrossFit will give you an amazing advantage with your preparation.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
John Stirling

Profile:

I'll echo what Mike said. I'm 4 years on and it's a great profession. Only thing that I would add is to keep your ethics in check and never, never do anything that you might regret later. Just think of it this way...if your Chief/member of the public / mom were to see what you are about to do, would you still do it?

Good luck
Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
Anthony DiSarro

Profile:

11 years on here. You are off to a huge head start if you use Crossfit, and will always be two steps ahead of the pack if you stay with it.

Get Ready! For ready for thankless nature of the job, court on your day off, for staying late to package evidence, for the court of public opinion to brow beat you, for 9 hours of sheer boredom puncuated with 10 minutes of white knuckled excitment. Get ready for the most rewarding career i can think of.

There is nothing else I would rather be doing.

As for stories.
My wife and I are both cops, in fact I met her when she was a recruit and was teaching DT at the academy. Shhh. We have had two foot pursuits together, and yes we caught them both.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Brian Mansfield

Profile:

11 years here as well, and just started my 4th year on my dept's part time SWAT team in January.

I too still love the job. No two days are ever the same. I don't sit behind a desk. I work outside. For the most part, I'm my own boss on the road. I have even passed on 3 Sgt's tests because I really enjoy being assigned a post and humping calls.

I truly feel I do make a difference. I'm also a DARE officer which has made my career that much more rewarding.

I only wish CF had been around when I started. I was the bodybuilder lifter like most. And usually suffering from one or more injuries because of it.

Best of luck!
Old 03-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Nicholas Borek

Profile:

Congrats! After I graduate college in May I hope to start the LE pipeline with DC area departments after I get LASIK...and I honestly can't wait...best of luck!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

Almost 20 years on. Patrol, SWAT, Violent Crime detective, and now the director of a multi-jurisdictional covert narcotics squad. I love my job, not to thrilled with the politics, but the job is great. Strive to be a professional, not a careerist. Open your self to criticism and always improve yourself. Do the right thing (you'll know). Always remember we protect the citizens and arrest the bad guys. It ain't cranking widgets or IBM. It is an interesting time in law enforcement now; some things good, some bad.

Cf should be required for law enforcement. Not just for the academy, but for the job. I can't believe how many in my profession become out of shape once the academy is over. Don't be one of them. First step, don't eat in the greasy spoons. Bring healthy foods, or make sure you have some healthy alternatives at the restaurants you will frequent (I find a egg white vegetable omelet, make sure it's not cooked in butter, side of fruit, bring some almonds, a good way to go). Put limits on the amount of time you go out with guys for a pop. Show respect for your elders and learn from them, even the laziest person may be able to show you a few tricks.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
John Stirling

Profile:

Larry, awesome points in this post. I especially like the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lindenman View Post
Always remember we protect the citizens and arrest the bad guys. It ain't cranking widgets or IBM.
True that. I like the way you put it.

Quote:
First step, don't eat in the greasy spoons. Bring healthy foods, or make sure you have some healthy alternatives at the restaurants you will frequent (I find a egg white vegetable omelet, make sure it's not cooked in butter, side of fruit, bring some almonds, a good way to go).
I think this is one of the hardest things especially when you're on midnights. Now that McDonald's is open 24 hours and the rest of the things that are open are gas stations at 0300. When I first started on the job, I ate that crap way too much. It's hard, but it's a matter of self control.

Quote:
Put limits on the amount of time you go out with guys for a pop.
Time with your co-workers is important because they are, sometimes, the only ones who truly understand what you're going through. But if you have a family, too much time with them will destroy that relationship. It's one of the many reasons that our job has one of the highest divorce rates.

Quote:
Show respect for your elders and learn from them, even the laziest person may be able to show you a few tricks.
One of the guys that I've learned the most from since I came to this job has difficulty even walking at this point. He has 27 years on and is about to retire. Want further proof of this point...look at all the good statements Larry has made in this post. I imagine he's higher up and I feel strange calling you buy your first name when I'm sure you might have a rank before your name so you'll have to forgive me sir.

Larry, your current assignment sounds like it's awesome. The kind of job that all of us get into the job to do.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Bobby Nauss

Profile:

Here are a few suggestions. Some things I would do differently if I were starting over, some things I have been doing that have worked (8 years as a cop / 4 years on SWAT). In no particular order:

1. At the end of your shift, write down the funny stuff that happened...if you don't you will forget the details. Could easily turn into a best seller some day. Some of the real life stuff people probably won't believe though.

2. Get a digital camera and carry it in your car all the time. I had a film camera when I started, and was afraid about bringing some of the pics to Walgreens.

3. PT every day, and lay off fast food, soda, and sweet tea.

4. Go to the range...often. Not as often as you can.....you won't make time. Go often.

5. "What if" things all the time. On your way to every call, on your way back from every call. Give yourself an honest critique and share your screw ups with your buddies.

6. Look yourself in the mirror everyday and say "Today will be the day that I will have to take a life. I will win at all costs. I will be professional, ethical, and do the right thing. Today will also be the day that I save a life. I will do my best to have a positive influence in someone's life."

7. Before any decision ask yourself "What good can come from this?" You would be amazed how simple this is and how effective. If you can't think of anything good....you are about to make a bad decision.

8. Trust the little hairs on the back of your neck. If they are going crazy, something bad is about to happen. Trust that. Don't be afraid to let someone go on a traffic stop if you don't have the advantage. A bad guy will still be a bad guy if you let him go. You can always call for another unit and stop him again later on.

9. Have fun. It's a great job, and you will be amazed at the stuff you get to do...and the fact that someone pays you every 2 weeks for it is crazy sometimes.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

John, thanks brother! We're all the same here. Yeah, this is a dream job. I drive a nice car, wear t-shirt and jeans, and get to get out and have fun every week. If you ever get the opportunity to work undercover narcotics, jump at the chance.