CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
CF Triathlon cert?

https://www.regonline.com/builder/si...eventid=198937 wfs

There was a time when the idea of a CF bodybuilding cert would have been hysterical. Now I'm actually not so sure.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:
Re: CF Triathlon cert?

Actually, I like the concept of a triathlon cert. It's a tough sport -- ever tried it?

If there was a triathlon cert on the East Coast, I'd go in heartbeat -- if only to get some good pointers on how to more effectively blend tri training with CF. I think it would help not only me but also those clients of mine who are triathletes.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

While I think a Triathalon cert. is a far cry from a BB cert., I was also a little suprised a some of the newer offerings.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
Actually, I like the concept of a triathlon cert. It's a tough sport -- ever tried it?

If there was a triathlon cert on the East Coast, I'd go in heartbeat -- if only to get some good pointers on how to more effectively blend tri training with CF. I think it would help not only me but also those clients of mine who are triathletes.
Not saying it wouldn't help athletes and trainers alike. Probably more value there than the jump rope cert (teaches the double-under, but I don't know how many people going to a CF affiliate are trying to be world-class jump rope champions). I was still laughing when I saw this, though.

Randy, we'll see. No one was expecting a jump rope cert, either.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
https://www.regonline.com/builder/si...eventid=198937 wfs

There was a time when the idea of a CF bodybuilding cert would have been hysterical. Now I'm actually not so sure.
I agree, and my main sport is road cycling! It is not very much in the spirit of short, high intensity training. I am still experimenting with blending lifting and race training, though...
(I want a velodrome so I can switch to track racing!)
Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
It is not very much in the spirit of short, high intensity training.

Hmmm. Say you were to take a 12 minute swim (done at a fast pace) follow it up with a 25min bike ride (again at fast pace) and then run for 20 min, as quick as you can: would those activities fall outside the parameters of (or not be benefitted by) "short, high intensity training"?

Oh, sorry, I think I just described a sprint triathlon . . .
Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
I agree, and my main sport is road cycling! It is not very much in the spirit of short, high intensity training. I am still experimenting with blending lifting and race training, though...
(I want a velodrome so I can switch to track racing!)
Aaron, you need to move up here to Michigan, you said you love speed skating, you can skate with us in the winter, and we've got a velodrome here in the summer

Plus, the Wolverine cycling club is one of the absolute best in the country.

On the topic of the cert: A triathlon deals with a functional competition, I'm actually considering doing a triathlon this summer.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
Hmmm. Say you were to take a 12 minute swim (done at a fast pace) follow it up with a 25min bike ride (again at fast pace) and then run for 20 min, as quick as you can: would those activities fall outside the parameters of (or not be benefitted by) "short, high intensity training"?

Oh, sorry, I think I just described a sprint triathlon . . .
Yes, in some respects it will be benefited by CF style training. Heck, you might have some benefit from this style training up past Oly and to 70.3. It does not negate the fact that you will need some extended time on the road if you do anything more than Sprint Tris.

Last point, if you can time trial 12.5 miles in 25 minutes for an average of 30mph then you are one heck of an effing beast on the bike! For a comparison, Fabian Cancellara won the prologue of the 2007 Tour de France; he covered 7.9km (4.9miles) in 8 minutes 50 seconds for an average speed of 53.7 km/h (33.35 mph). Fabian was also the World Champion Time Trialist for 2007.
You might want to check into a career on the European Cycling Tour.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Aaron, you need to move up here to Michigan, you said you love speed skating, you can skate with us in the winter, and we've got a velodrome here in the summer

Plus, the Wolverine cycling club is one of the absolute best in the country.

On the topic of the cert: A triathlon deals with a functional competition, I'm actually considering doing a triathlon this summer.
I'm hoping to move to Denver or Minneapolis when I graduate next year, both cities have a 'drome, affiliates, and I think both of them have speed rinks.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:

We are still experimenting with how CF can benefit endurance athletes. Running and endurance cert + triathlon cert + the recognition of some endurance athletes that being strong helps them and that they can fit that into their schedule if they eliminate some of the less beneficial aspects of their current regimin means this could really take off.

Probably more people run than any other kind of exercise. It would benenfit everyone if that potential market could be tapped. No one has taken me up on a CrossFit Running club yet. It would be an opportunity to test different training modalities and how they help or hurt endurance athletes. It would be an NEW opportunity for Guerilla fitness and subversion of common practice ... if we're right, which I'm not sure about yet.

Aaron