CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
I am a 20 yo/120#/m distance runner excited to try Crossfit. A friend mentioned it, and I've been following on for a week now. Spending an hour or so a day running doesn't leave much time or energy left for strength workouts in the gym, so the short amount of time the WOD takes is a real plus for me. Unfortunately, I am an excellent example of the FAQ that observes endurance athletes tend to lack in everything else; I can run all day, but can't do much else. My goal isn't really to get bigger, since that would slow me down, but just stronger in useful ways. I am also a stereotypically inflexible runner. From reading these forums I gather yoga is a bit of a spirited subject, but I am trying it with a friend over the summer. Maybe it'll work out for us?

I plan to read more than I post, since I'm sure many questions have already been answered several times over, but with my introduction I would like to a question to help me figure out what to do in the short-term.

-s an endurance athlete, I can't really exert a lot of power and wear myself out. A few hours after working to muscle failure I feel like I have the energy to start all over again. In yesterday's pullup workout I only got to 9+4, but I felt like I could do it all over again later that day. Would I benefit from doing the WOD twice a day until I'm stronger?

I look forward to learning a lot and (hopefully?) improving my all-around fitness!

-Ryan
Old 05-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Stuart Smith

Profile:
Hey Ryan, welcome.

Wanted to shoot you a quick warning - the pull up work out we did the other day was very gentle compared to some of the other workouts we tend to do more often. I don't think it would be advisable to do the WOD twice a day because of a risk of overtraining injury (just a guess). Personally I find I am keen for more, before and after the WOD, but I use the energy to work on individual skills or techniques - particularly weaknesses.

It will be interesting to see what happens with your long distance running when you progress through Crossfit more. Would you keep us posted? Im sure there are many who would be interested to hear. Good hunting.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Ash Sinclair

Profile:
Hey Ryan,

I concur with Stuart here - best not to push through the WOD's twice. Even though you feel fresh again later in the day, your body will still need time to recover from the training. There's a lot going on in your body after a workout that helps you prepare for improved performance in future sessions and disrupting your rest and recovery will not only hamper your progress but as Stuart eluded to, will also open the door for overtraining.

It sounds like you have a pretty heavy workload with your running training, so I think attempting to double your WOD's would prove foolhardy.

Enjoy your rest and recovery mate, some of the WOD's are a lot tougher than that pullup session and you're going to crave every minute of rest you can get :-)
Old 05-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Good points on recovery. I'm used to two-a-days when training for shorter races and found they helped a lot to bring down my race times. However, the more I think about it, the more I realize that my second run each day was more to stay loose and quick than to really 'work out.' I'll look forward to these much harder workouts... :-)

-Stuart: I'll definately be talking about how this affects my running. I am cross-training more this summer hoping for two benefits: better form and (as a result) fewer injuries. I think a combination of strength and flexibility (hopefully gained through some yoga) will even out and lengthen my stride...both two good things for runners!