CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
A former professor of mine does a J term (J for January) class called Alternative Healing Arts. When I took the class my presentation was on martial arts training for health and fitness (all I did was present of variety of martial arts techniques) but she liked it so much she has been inviting me back for the last 5 years as a presenter for the course.

On January 19th I will be giving a CrossFit 101 class that will include about a 1/2 hour or so of classroom and then a couple hours of hands on stuff. I will pack my truck with stall mats, bars, bumpers, boxes, kettlebells, medicine balls and my rowing machine and after a primer on the basic movements as a warm up I will take them through a reasonably gentle workout.

So - CrossFit 101 must include fitness in 100 words, variety, functionality and intensity our 4 descriptions of what fitness is, a bit about the Zone and diet considerations, thruster vs preacher bench curl and what functional exercise really means, energy systems and programming. Anybody have input as to what I absolutely must be sure to tell them? I don't want to cripple anyone, but I want to make sure they understand what intensity means. I'm thinking of dividing them up into groups based on their self-identified level of intensity tolerance, athlete vs non, male/female...something. Any ideas about how to divide them? Should be in the neighborhood of 25 students.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Tom Whalen

Profile:
The "What is Fitness?" free issue of the CF Journal has the 100 words blurb as well a more detailed explantion of the CF philosophy. Couldn't hurt to print out a number of those for the survivors to take home :wink:

"Cindy" would probably scale well for a wide range of abilities as long as you have pull-up bars and pull-up assists for those who need it. It's got the squat which you will already have covered. Those who are in good shape can shoot for the moon and those who aren't can pace themselves.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
John Velandra

Profile:
Eugene,
Question for you. Is it only an exercise class or??? The reason I ask is I teach a p/t workshop at our college and have included much of the CrossFity principles and science for future trainers as well as other specifics for someone looking to become a trainer. It is geared at entry level and "what" to do once they have a client. We cover major amounts of practical zonish nutrition, client relations, kinesiology, etc... So much from my beginning classes has changed due to CrossFit, I know they will really enjoy your class and will influence alot of them to pursue it regularly!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Andrew Brown

Profile:
Don't forget the gymnastics element!

But...tabata squats would be my choice for simple intro to intensity.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
James Hall

Profile:
Eugene,
Today, I had my youngest brother-in-law (early 30 something) come over and do a variation of Painstorm VI. Once we were finished, he commented that maybe he needed to stop doing the beach muscle routine. I'm 10 yrs older and beat him by 2:00. I think he sees the light because he asked to come back the next weekend.
Stress the fundamental, functional aspects of this (CrossFit) program. No one else is close. If you can't get off the toilet, then you can't squat!!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Dave Young

Profile:
Gene,

Take them, one-by-one, to failure on the rowing machine. It is one movement where they can not only feel their failure to sustain (intensity), but see it in numbers on the screen in front of them. Anytime I want someone to experience Crossfit intensity this is where I go.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:43 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
John - it is a PE course that does a survey type examination of a variety of things like Feldenkrais, that thing that examines the bumps on your noggin, chiropractic, aura reading, accupuncture and so on. This will be a very pedestrian presentation of the physical part in order to avoid hurting anyone, but I will try to get the athletic among the group to hammer a bit. I like the rowing machine idea...maybe a chipper that starts with a 500 meter row. For the few for whom this will strike a chord and for the maybe one that I will hear from again, I want to just create some CF exposure to tickle the back of their collective brains when they head in the direction of real fitness.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
I think if you try to run 24 or 25 people through the rower in a straight chipper, you'll have a lot of people standing around.

Lets say you have 24 people. What if you run 3 lines of a modified FGB, with #5 being the rower on 1 line, and sub air squats or burpees for the other lines. (assuming you have a wall for wallball). With all the mixed equipment you'll have, each line might be a little different, mixing db, bb, kb, med balls as needed. Split the group into 12 pairs.
Run each 3 4 man groups through each line, making for 15 mins of work. The other 1/2 of the group counts/scores. Then reverse roles. That way, at some point, everyone does the rower, even though you only have 1. And 3 rounds of FGB, even with low loads, should give a good idea of intensity.

(don't forget the PVC to teach OHS)

(Message edited by LisaS on December 31, 2005)
Old 01-01-2006, 04:54 AM   #9
Graham Tidey

Profile:
And some people just won't get it and will need extra tuition even to walk in a straight line. So you'll have to have a main program which you can supervise whilst telling Mrs Jones how to squat properly.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #10
John Frazer

Profile:
Eugene,

I'd skip the rower -- just too much of a bottleneck. I think you could do what you want to do with a bunch of different weights of dumbbells. Dumbbells are also portable, scalable, affordable, and available at the local mall.

I'd start with simple progressions, using exercises just about everyone can do in some fashion.

For instance, you might start by showing the importance of good technique by teaching them to squat.

Then, show the impact of high intensity/low rest with Tabata squats. (A half-Tabata might make the point.)

Then, show how hip extension integrates with the upper body: dumbbell presses, push presses and push jerks.

Then, for explosive power, dumbbell swings.

You'll also want to show the value of pullups, and their accessibility through assistive apparatus (ring rows, jumping, etc.)

Now that everyone's warmed up and has some idea of the weights they're comfortable with, your final workout might be 3 rounds of something like this:

Dumbbell thrusters
Situps
Dumbbell swings
Pushups
Pullups

I'd do it "FGB-style" so everyone finishes at the same time and has an immediate score to compare, but everyone also sees the impact of moving immediately between exercises. (Also, everyone gets two enforced rest breaks -- not a bad idea for beginners.) Make sure everyone records a score so they can try it again later and chart progress; I think one of Crossfit's strengths is the constant measurement and re-measurement of achievement.

Good luck!

(Message edited by John_Frazer on January 01, 2006)