CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-16-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
I'm not one to fish for compliments or anything, but I want to post this for anyone out there who was like me a few years back, believing they were a skinny "hardgainer" who can't put muscle on...

Now I was no slacker before (8 years recreational lifting, NSCA CPT for 2 years), but coming off the most "injurious" year of my life & needing to get stronger, I just finished my first 8-week mesocycle of Coach Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program, & these are the numbers:

Squats: +65 lbs
Bench: +50 lbs
Deadlifts (Oh man I LOVE these now!): +80 lbs
Press: +35 lbs
Cleans: +35 lbs

This is from a clinical insomniac who never sleeps more than 5 - 5 1/2 hours a night during the week, & who was eating more than previously, but still not enough. Now, there's an ME Blackbox mesocycle on the horizon, & soon thereafter, the beginnings of full on Crossfit badassity.
I'm 6'3 & yesterday weighed 173.8 lbs. No excuses for you other skinny guys...SS is the real deal.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
Way to go. Keep us posted on your future successes.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Curtis Black

Profile:
Jordan, good stuff.

Can you post your before and after numbers for us? I'm curious to see what you felt comfortable lifting in the 1st week of following SS Vs what you're lifting now.

I'm another "skinny" guy who's just started following coach Ripp's program (4 weeks) and will post my numbers up in a new thread soon. My gains aren't as big but I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along so far.

Thanks for the post.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Well here's the scenario: in the past I've been a fairly strong guy, but in the previous year before starting Rip's program, I've suffered more awful injuries than you can imagine including breaking my foot, blowing my shoulder out, & tearing a hamstring. In the 3-4 months before starting it, I was doing no upperbody work, mostly abs, & squats with awful technique. So some of these results may be from regaining old strength and kickstarting old neuromuscular adaptations, & I should probably say that my starting numbers might have been a bit low because of apprehension about getting reinjured. With that being said:

Squats:
Jan. 12th, 155 lbs x 5 reps
March 13th, 220 x 5

Bench:
Jan. 12, 135 x 5
Mar. 17, 190 x 5

Deadlifts:
Jan. 12, 165 x 5
Mar. 17, 245 x 5

Press:
Jan. 14, 95 x 5
Mar. 15, 130 x 5

Hang Cleans (can't do power cleans because my gym has no bumper plates, & also worth mentioning that I spent a few weeks only practicing form with this movement, & will list the first day I felt comfortable recording weight):
Feb. 1, 95 x 5
Mar. 15, 130 x 5

So my numbers are anything but impressive. I'm just happy that for the first time in a year, I feel "strong" again...felt like I was walking around in someone else's clothes for a year, but now I got my cowboy boots & wranglers back on baby! Anyway, hope it helps, & good luck to you Curtis...
Old 03-18-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
Chris Lampe

Profile:
Jordan,

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm 5'11" and weigh 325 lbs. I've played around with weights, off and on, for years but never serious. Until six weeks ago I had never squatted or deadlifted in my life and the most I had ever benchpressed was 165 lbs when I was in the best shape of my life (12 years ago at BW of 235 and 27 years old).

Here are my stats from before SS and after six weeks:

Squat:
Feb 1st 165 x 5 (3 sets)
Mar 15th 230 x 5 (3 sets)

Bench:
Feb 3rd 140 x 5 (3 sets)
Mar 13th 175 x 5 (3 sets)

Deadlifts:
Feb 3rd 165 x 5 (1 set)
Mar 13th 235 x 5 (1 set)

Press:
Feb 1st 90 x 5 (3 sets)
Mar 15th 115 x 5 (3 sets)

I'm not doing the power cleans and the first couple of weeks were lighter than optimal weights while I became comfortable with the exercises. Also, I could do more on the deadlift but 235 lbs is all the weight I have.

I will echo your statement that Starting Strength really does work! Yesterday I ordered Rippetoe's Practical Programming because I feel like I'm approaching a sticking point for my squats in the near future.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Holy crap man...that's absolutely amazing for six weeks! How about your body composition? Have you noticed a corresponding decrease in bodyfat percentage?
I'm taking a week of active recovery right now & expect to be doing the same very soon. I've got Practical Programming coming in the mail right now...can't wait to get it. I've got a feeling my numbers are gonna be slowing down real quick....
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I don't have a means to measure BF% and I stopped weighing myself when I started lifting because the scales started going up! I definately feel better but I don't know if that's actual fat loss or just the effects of strength training making my muscles firmer.

The first five weeks I ate alot and it was all dirty. Just in the past week I cleaned up my diet so that most meals fall into Paleo or Zone parameters.

I will be receiving some weightlifting shoes from Glenn Pendlay this afternoon so I'm really looking forward to my first workout with them!

This is the first time in my life I've been excited about a work-out program. I always hated doing bicep curls, tricep extensions, leg curls, etc... and I never saw any real results. With SS I do three compound exercises and I'm done plus I've seen amazing results in just 6 weeks! Gotta love it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Ha, I still eat like crap. I have no interest in trying to eat healthy right now, because if I'm trying to eat healthy, I'm not eating enough. Once I get up to my goal weight, then I'll go Zone or a variation thereof.

Let me know how the gym shoes work out...I'm a fan of the ol' low top Chuck Ts & the way they let you grip the floor on squats.

In the past, I've had a much, MUCH stronger upperbody than I do now, but I always neglected legs, & always worked out to failure. Regardless, I was very happy that way. Now I'm because I feel so complete, & could've been doing this stuff in college, gotten even bigger, & probably not had the crappy overuse injuries I suffered. Ahhh...live & learn.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I received my shoes today but I won't do a squat workout until late tomorrow and deadlifts late Friday.

I did throw a couple of 25's on the bar just to get an idea of what lifting in the shoes would be like and I think they are going to address my needs quite well.

I mainly wanted the shoes for the elevated heel rather than the non-compressible sole. I have terrible flexibility and have been having trouble achieving full ROM squats and having ankle pain when I force it. Wearing the shoes I can step right into a stable position (before I would spend quite a few seconds shifting my feet trying to find just the right stance) but more importantly a full ROM is much easier and I'm actually able to go deeper into the squat than before.

On the deadlift I was having trouble coming back onto my heels for the drive up but it looks like the shoes are going to solve that problem as well.

All in all, I'm pretty excited about these shoes and look forward to my first real workout with them tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I've had a lot of success following the Starting Strength programming. I've added 60 to my squat, 20 to my bench, 70 to my deadlift, 30 to my clean in about 6 weeks. All of those are 5rm's. I also started below my current numbers so technically the progress has taken 9 weeks.