CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Martin Hernon

Profile:
I tweaked my lower pec a couple of months ago on a max dip effort. Since then I have avoided dips, because I can feel something when I try one. It feels like I could do some, but I thought the best thing to do was let the muscle heal 100%. I'm getting tired of waiting. Is it OK to push through and start dipping, or should I continue waiting?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
Carrick Joseph Hines

Profile:
I absolutely have no medical experience what so ever. In my opinion I think it would be detremental to "push through" it. Let it heal completely before dipping again.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
After a couple of months I would say you should be as ready as you'll be for starting ROM and progress up to heavy dips again. Progress to the next level when pain is minimal. I am not advocating to "push through it" but to reasonably do ROM and load.

ROM + limited ROM with load
ROM with small load + more ROM with BW
BW etc.

IMO if you suffered a big pull/tear, anything that is not joined is not going to and you probably should get the rest of the muscle remodled. If you suffered a small pull no big deal.

When I have a significant soft tissue injury it is usually 6-18 months before it "feels right" again. Strength returns much faster. I had a BIG UGLY gastroc tear (30-50% according to the orthopedist), which was not surgically repairable due to location. He let me do self driven rehab "to the limit of my pain tolerance" result was full function and strength in less than 6 months.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
If you still have pain after a couple of months with a muscle related injury, you probably have bad trigger points in there. Massage the muscle, looking for hard lumps of tissue (feeling like a rubber cable). If you find them, massage deep and with lots of pressure. Yes, it will hurt.

See http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/14941.html for more info about how and why to massage.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 10-31-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Martin Hernon

Profile:
Guys, these comments are very helpful. I'm not feeling a trigger point, and I don't think it's a big tear. Actually, it's been slowly improving, and I appreciate the advice not to be impatient. Chris, I liked the idea of ROM and limited load ROM. I can start trying this out on the dip-assist machine at my gym. I'll start out bascially weightless.