CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-03-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
John Dryden

Profile:  
All

Generally, the joints in my fingers don't feel very good, kinda like a mild arthritis feeling, especially after deadlifting or other strains to my hands.
Am I alone, or do other people have the same issue?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
dave ojeda

Profile:
I too have had that problem, but I have confirmed that I have Rhuematiod arthritis, so for my condition fish oil (Costco Kirkland brand) has helped quite abit. But as a general suggestion I would suggest regular use of Chinese therapy balls. They help to regain ROM in your fingers, a ROM most of us forget to work on but so important in all aspects of life. I am in IT so this have helped alot to give my fingers more dexterity and ROM. Before using them my fingers ached and felt meaty, now the pain is much less and my control and manipulation of my digits has improved greatly. I use several sizes of medicine balls some are steel so occasionally I put them in the fridge and use them cold as a cool down. While you can get these anywhere (just GOOGLE for lots of places) I would recomend looking at this place. http://www.handhealth.com/

They are very helpful and the site has many interesting items, give them a call they are very helpful. (and I have no affiliation with them) The one item they have which is very very hard to find is the 73MM therapy balls. They are very large and work your hands in a way much different than the other sizes.

Well I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
dave ojeda

Profile:
Just an FYI I just checked out the site there are free videos of hand exercises on the site. Definately of interest to everyone.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 AM   #4
Andy Wagner

Profile:  
I am seeking medical advice. On Thursday, 11/4/2004, I was performing my first set of deadlifts of the triplet WOD (DL, BP, Cleans). I should have performed a proper warmup but that is hind site now. Anyway, I felt a very sharp pain along the side of my lower rib cage. For the rest of the evening I could not move the injured area. It is a week later and I have been using icy hot patches, a hot water bottle, BenGay and advil. It seems that the pain has subsided quite a bit, but any attempt to perform DLs, Cleans, snatches, pullups, etc. seems to bring sharp pain to the area. If I go to the doctor, his or her response will be "Rest, take advil, apply heat, and that will be $15 co-pay please". Has anyone else pulled a rib muscle before? If so, how long did it take to heal and what treatments did you perform to help it heal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Andy Wagner
Old 11-11-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

Andy, you asked for medical advice, this is not advice. Unfortunately you are right for 99% of the MDs available. To be fair these rib problems do seem to clear themselves up pretty easily so a conservative approach is not such a bad idea. However a chiropractor may take a more active approach. I have minor rib injuries from time to time. Sometimes a chiropractic adjustment helps get the rib back in place, which usually makes it feel good enough to work around. The soft tissue around the rib usually gets a little tender too, and ice and sometimes ultrasound helps me heal that part faster. I never use heat for this kind of acute injury, it may feel good but it isn't helpful.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
Andy Wagner

Profile:  
Thank you for your reply Brian. I will make an appointment with my chiropractor in the morning if possible. Hopefully it will help.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:26 AM   #7
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Hey Brian, how's it going?
I'd heard something about alternating heat compresses with cold compresses as a therapy for this kind of muscular injury. Something about the heat expanding the muscles and the cold contracting them for increased blood flow around the area. Tried it? Comments?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
Brian Hand

Profile:

Donald, going good, you? You made a good catch there, alternating heat and cold is very good. It's plain heat that I don't have much use for. I don't use the alternating much just because I get good results from ice and ice is simple and convenient. By the way for acute issues the consensus seems to be, end with ice.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:11 AM   #9
John Dryden

Profile:  
Thanks Dave

I will increase my fish oil intake, and find a pair of those balls.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:33 PM   #10
dave ojeda

Profile:
Good Luck John!!

I am sure you will notice a difference of dexterity with regular use of the therapy balls. IT is always nice to be able to contribute t another Crossfitter.

Any more questions just email me daveojeda@yahoo.com