CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-22-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
Norma Loehr

Profile:
I've been doing CF for 4 weeks now (LOVE it!) and have had to "scale" many of the workouts. Generally I just decrease the weight (like for the 12/21 WOD) and keep the reps and rounds. I use this approach because I enjoy cardio and want to maintain the prescribed intensity. I wanted to ask some of the more experienced CFers what their recommendations are for scaling. For example, would it be better to use more weight and cut the reps or rounds?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Either way works fine. I started by cutting weight like you. Then at some point my speed was really high so I added weight - which slowed me back down. Now I am trying to get fast again!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Hi, Norma! I've been watching your times. You rock!

I always scale weight, and keep the rounds and reps - my times suffer for that. I have been rethinking it lately, but that's how I've been doing WOD since I started. :-)
Old 12-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Excellent recommendations! You could also cut the workouts in half (200m runs for 400m runs, 3 rounds for 5 rounds, etc.) to switch it up a little and focus more on pushing hard (keep the weights high).
Old 12-22-2004, 11:55 PM   #5
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Larry, hello! I am trying to mix it up by upping the intensity and doing fewer reps/shorter runs.

The weights are tougher since I just started lifting when I started CrossFit 4 months ago. Working up to BW lifts slowly....ever so slowly....70# on bench press today, 145 on DL a week or so ago. Oh, and my crowning achievement: 55# HSQ last Thursday.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:58 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Laura, great work! I always look forward to your posts, you have great energy and you are inspiring. I am a big advocate of cutting to half volume every fourth week (for six workouts) and taking a week off (six workouts) every 12 to 15 weeks. I find I come back fresher after a half volume week, but I also find the half volume workouts kick my butt in a diffrent manner, alot faster paced. Just my 2 cents. "Enjoy" spending quality time with your MIL and family.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:44 AM   #7
Laura Rucker

Profile:
: )

Thanks, Larry. Have a great Christmas!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Good posts! I started with a combo of both ways; half the volume sometimes, half the weight other times. On days we are to go heavy, like the DL for 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1, I would work on form and not getting hurt. Now that I'm up to speed, that's what I work on. I also follow Larry's advice on rest. Luckily, vacation starts today and I'm due for a half volume week!
After today's DL's (I'm doing them on X-mas eve) I'm going to take it easy. Just wish it was this week with the 250 wall ball punisher!!!:crazy:
Glad to see some of my favorite posters are on this thread! Gives me a chance to wish all a safe and happy holiday season!!!
Going to the MIL's for X-mas Eve! Can't wait to find out how many times we'll hear, "Don't touch that!!!" or "Leave the dog alone!!!":angry: Family, can't choose 'em, can't shoot 'em!!! ;)
Old 12-23-2004, 12:48 PM   #9
Norma Loehr

Profile:
Thanks everyone for the great ideas and thanks Laura for the encouraging words!

I am still working on form on the heavy lifting days as Ron describes. I also realized from reading Larry's post that I am due for a half volume week.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:13 AM   #10
Wayne Silverman

Profile:  
Hello!
I'm new to the CrossFit concept, but I'm coming at it from a lifting background...My PR DL is at 365x2, overhead press 185 at 180 Bwt, Bench is 270, my squat is horrible, only at 250 (yes, i bench more than i squat!)I am just learing how to squat snatch, my C&J is at 205 with a power clean, the squat clean has been very tough, I'm actually doing CF to improve my flexibility and oly lifting, so far it's working,( got my squat snatch up to 100 lbs from just an empty bar about a month ago!)I havn't done any cardio component for a few years....I really like the anaerobic work in the CF protocall, I'm learning new exercises and i've got my Squat thrusters up to 16 reps with a pair of 40 lbs DB's, I'll be doing the 1/2 bwt for 21 rep challenge soon i hope...and I suddenly started gaining lean mass since adding in CF methodology to my workouts...imagine that, cardio can build mass! Who'd a thunk it!