CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #31
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Combining CrossFit with P90X, and Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If you're living on steak, sure. But why would you do that when less expensive cuts are so much tastier?

I didn't say you needed more protein, either. What I mostly noticed was the pitiful lack of carbs and fat in your diet.

Katherine
I was joking around before. I track my food on fitday or looseit and my percentages are generally in the 40P/30F/30C or in the 40P/40F/20C. I played around with both ratios and didn't see much of a difference. If I had extra fruit, my ratio would be in the 40/30/30. I eat plenty of veggies per day. What I don't eat is the bad carbs, such as bread, rice, pasta, etc.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #32
Jesse Newman-Barnhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Breakfast:
Omelet: 1 egg and egg whites with veggies. Baked in the oven.

Morning and afternoon snack:
1 Smoothie:
8 oz of almond milk
1 scoop of protein
1 piece of fruit
Sometimes I add 1 tbsp of almond butter and cinnamon.

Lunch:
Chicken, salmon, or steak salad with olive oil and vinegar or
Chicken or steak stir fry.

Dinner: same as lunch.
I'm 6'1"/165/21yo, been a CrossFitter for almost 2 years, consistent for about 1/2 that- ship life made it difficult. Haven't been doing WODs for a while due to a shoulder injury, but am starting SS now. I think I would wither away on such a small amount of food. Maybe its just that I'm a young whippersnapper with a freakishly fast metabolism.
I agree with other people's posts, pick one of the programs and stick with it. Doing too much will just get you hurt (I speak from my own follies) and set you back from your goals farther.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #33
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Newman-Barnhart View Post
I'm 6'1"/165/21yo, been a CrossFitter for almost 2 years, consistent for about 1/2 that- ship life made it difficult. Haven't been doing WODs for a while due to a shoulder injury, but am starting SS now. I think I would wither away on such a small amount of food. Maybe its just that I'm a young whippersnapper with a freakishly fast metabolism.
I agree with other people's posts, pick one of the programs and stick with it. Doing too much will just get you hurt (I speak from my own follies) and set you back from your goals farther.
My average intake is around 2300 calories. I've been trying to eat more and it is hard to gain weight and maintain it.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #34
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
My average intake is around 2300 calories. I've been trying to eat more and it is hard to gain weight and maintain it.
i have the same problem, i just can't eat 3500-4000 calories of meat, fruits, and veggies. based on some recommendations i got from this site i'm going to introduce things like whole milk and almond butter and see if that helps.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 03-17-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #35
Jesse Newman-Barnhart

Profile:

Quote:
As with anything new (diet, exercise, etc.) take time and ease into it so as not to shock the body. Slowly increase food intake and add whole milk.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #36
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
You probably need at least 3000 for that workload. 4000+ if you want to gain substantial muscle. For reference, I eat about 2000 calories per day, and I'm substantially smaller, and female.

Katherine
Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #37
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You probably need at least 3000 for that workload. 4000+ if you want to gain substantial muscle. For reference, I eat about 2000 calories per day, and I'm substantially smaller, and female.

Katherine
i think its time for you to put that into your sigline
Old 03-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #38
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
i think its time for you to put that into your sigline
I keep hoping people will figure out on their own that intense workouts need fuel.

Katherine

PS Oh yeah, and I'm debating whether I need to be eating more.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #39
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Thank you guys for the replies. I'm going to take the advice and stick with one program at a time and see how they work for me and take it from there. I'll see if I can stick with the P90X for the full 90 days and re-evaluate when I am done.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #40
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Hello everyone. I started doing crossfit in January of 2010 and following the Paleo Diet since August of 2010. I dropped 4" off my waist and went from 170 to 156#. My goal was to get lean and a six pack. At the end of Februaty of 2011 I hadn't seen any changes since around November. I was in the best shape of my life, but my body shape just wasn't where I wanted it to be yet. I guess some of that has to be hereditary because I'm eating right and exercising.

So about 2 weeks ago, my co-worker suggested that I try P90X or Insanity. I decided to give P90X a try first. I just finished day 3 of week # 2 and I'm feeling great. I'm going to see after a full month to see how it is working, but so far I feel very good. Yoga is a killer. After I'm done with the 90 days, I'm going yo give Insanity a try since my other co-worker is doing it and he says it works great.

I did some checking and a lot of guys are combining the heavy days of P90X and replacing the Plyometeics, Yoga, and Kempo of P90X with the Insanity workouts. I was thinking of actually combining all three. Day 1: P90X Chest and Back+ Ab Workout. Day 2: Insanity Workout. Day 3: CrossFit WOD + Ab workout. Day 4: Rest/Stretch. Then repeat and do different things.

I think for me, something like this would work out great. I love CrossFit, but there are some things that I don't agree with. While I like that it is random, I think that it should be more structured. And I think I need to do more cardio and some more Ab workouts since my lower abs are not where I want them to be yet.

Any thoughts?
Paul, that is a recipe for overtraining disaster. You are going to turn into something akin to a distance runner. You will be "skinny fat".