CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Jesse Emers

Profile:
Re: King Kong #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post

that's fine. You can disagree all you want. I gave my reasoning. 405# back squats are rather pedestrian these days - I'm a little guy, and 40 years old, and I haven't missed a 405# squat in more than 6 months. The snatch is heavy, but it is supposed to be heavy. Remember, in King Kong the clean was 250#. Could it be lower? Sure, but then it really wouldn't be a monster wod, would it? At a minimum, I'd think it should be over 200#, like 205#.
It isn't supposed to be a wod that "average" folks would even attempt.

My $.02.
I agree with what your saying that this should be an above average WOD, even closer to elite. However, would you agree that cleaning 250x3 is equivalent to snatching 185x3? I think that 200 would be too heavy and it would slow the WOD down to a point where its not really like the original King Kong, and it would make it more elite than the original. I would say on average, a good crossfitter can clean 75-100lb more than they can snatch. Those numbers should be reflected on the workout if he is trying to make it similar to the original. However, I'm all about heavy workouts.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Maybe pick a differnt monster for the name...like King Ghidorah from Godzilla lore...You could have a whole series of "Monster" WODs

King Kong
Godzilla
King Ghidorah
Gigan
Megalon
Rodan
etc...
I would like to nominate the following for Rodan:
3 RFT:
1 Clean and Jerk (or just ground to overhead) 150%BW
2 Weighted Dips 100%BW
3 Weighted Pull-ups 100%BW
4 Back Squats 200%BW

Based on BW because Rodan could fly (right?). Some strong pulling and pushing and the good ol' back squat.

Please note, I could never do this... I would have to scale the percents to like 100, 50, 50, 125. And even then, the time component would be kinda silly.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Yates View Post
I would like to nominate the following for Rodan:
3 RFT:
1 Clean and Jerk (or just ground to overhead) 150%BW
2 Weighted Dips 100%BW
3 Weighted Pull-ups 100%BW
4 Back Squats 200%BW

Based on BW because Rodan could fly (right?). Some strong pulling and pushing and the good ol' back squat.

Please note, I could never do this... I would have to scale the percents to like 100, 50, 50, 125. And even then, the time component would be kinda silly.
Wow, the middle two movements of this would be impossible for me. I weigh 192ish usually, and my best weighted pullup is only 135. I've gotten 180 for a single on dips before, but that is a for cry from 192 for a double. This workout is definetly for a lighter guy.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Unless you can kip both the weighed dip and the weighed pull-up.

I really don't see anyone, even the lighter guys, doing 3 strict pull-ups with BW attached to themselves, specially for reps !!

In fact, it's not logical to have to do 2 dips and 3 pull-ups with the same added weight. I think most people will be able to add more weight to the dips. So maybe reverse the order? And yeah, if they're strict dips and pull-ups that percentage has to go down or nobody will do it, at least not quickly, lol.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Unless you can kip both the weighed dip and the weighed pull-up.

I really don't see anyone, even the lighter guys, doing 3 strict pull-ups with BW attached to themselves, specially for reps !!

In fact, it's not logical to have to do 2 dips and 3 pull-ups with the same added weight. I think most people will be able to add more weight to the dips. So maybe reverse the order? And yeah, if they're strict dips and pull-ups that percentage has to go down or nobody will do it, at least not quickly, lol.
I am a lot stronger on the pull-ups than dips, that is why I put more PUs...

Like I said, i could never do it... just thinking out loud about a big workout where a smaller guy wouldn't be at such a disadvantage to a bigger guy. I am sure we have a few guys who have BW weighted pull-ups and dips for reps, right? If not, what would be better? 75%? 50%?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
Erich Anderson

Profile:

king kong v.2 actually exists. I think the gentleman's name is Paul Smith, www.getliftedgym.com (WFS) used to have his video but i don't know where it went. it was:

10 cleans 135
2 MU
8 snatches 225
2 mu
6 push jerks 315
2 mu
4 back squats 415
2 mu
2 deadlifts 500

straight dirty.

wfs
http://www.sicfit.com/coverage/23654...ul-Smiths-Kong
Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Anderson View Post
king kong v.2 actually exists. I think the gentleman's name is Paul Smith, www.getliftedgym.com (WFS) used to have his video but i don't know where it went. it was:

10 cleans 135
2 MU
8 snatches 225
2 mu
6 push jerks 315
2 mu
4 back squats 415
2 mu
2 deadlifts 500

straight dirty.

wfs
http://www.sicfit.com/coverage/23654...ul-Smiths-Kong
I remember this video. I think he just called it KONG. That guys is a whole different level of whatever the heck he is.