CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Paul Siegel

Profile:
Re: Knees go in

I had the same problem after having knee surgery a few years ago. I've found that foam rolling my abductors before squatting to be really helpful, I'm not sure why but it works for me.

As for strengthening the glutes, Romanian Deadlifts as an Accessory movement are what I like to do.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Good old collapsing knees....

More glute work is advised, but at some point you're probably strong enough and you just have to work proper movement patterns.

Some of the soft tissue work from here my help (page 4... but if you havent read the whole thing) wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
Thans Steve that is a great read, I looked at it just now and will reread it later. I have been working form as best I can. I fight it from the begining. I just wanted to be sure of what the weekness was and what to do. More glute work and solidify good for then.

Oh yea, I laughed at the ''Good old callapsing knee'' remark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Siegel View Post
I had the same problem after having knee surgery a few years ago. I've found that foam rolling my abductors before squatting to be really helpful, I'm not sure why but it works for me.

As for strengthening the glutes, Romanian Deadlifts as an Accessory movement are what I like to do.
Will do thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
Brock Wilson

Profile:

hey Nik, I'm curious about this myself. Can you elaborate on the advice you were given to "lift heavy" to fix it?

The reason I ask is, I always operate under the assumption that is something is off in your form, that an increase in load will exacerbate, more than help the problem.

That said, once in a blue moon I can think of heavier weights demanding better form, like the tendency to pull early from the elbows in a clean. Wondering if this is in any way similar.

On a separate note, I have some luck with stretching my inner thighs before as well as between sets. I too, like the foam roller. And I will consciously jam my knees away from the center as I begin not the drop, but the ascent, which works well for me.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #14
Levi Noecker

Profile:

This recent CF Journal entry specifically mentions adductor weakness as a reason for inward knee turn. I can't speak to the validity of the information within, but thought I'd pass along the link:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/09/...ors-strong.tpl (wfs)
Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Wilson View Post
hey Nik, I'm curious about this myself. Can you elaborate on the advice you were given to "lift heavy" to fix it?

The reason I ask is, I always operate under the assumption that is something is off in your form, that an increase in load will exacerbate, more than help the problem.

That said, once in a blue moon I can think of heavier weights demanding better form, like the tendency to pull early from the elbows in a clean. Wondering if this is in any way similar.

On a separate note, I have some luck with stretching my inner thighs before as well as between sets. I too, like the foam roller. And I will consciously jam my knees away from the center as I begin not the drop, but the ascent, which works well for me.
The idea is to lift as heavy as you can and still maintain good form. Also the other exercizes to help out, but that is the point to lifting heavy. Don't lift heavy with your kness caving in, lift at a doable weigh as heavy as you can manage with goo form.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #16
Eric Auciello

Profile:

Nik- I would suggest that you try to do some x-band walks prior to squatting. It could be a glute activation issue vs. weakness. You can probably find a few demos on you tube.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi Noecker View Post
This recent CF Journal entry specifically mentions adductor weakness as a reason for inward knee turn. I can't speak to the validity of the information within, but thought I'd pass along the link:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/09/...ors-strong.tpl (wfs)
As I discussed in the shoes, sitting article... it may or may not be adductor weakness. Can also be adductor tightness.

If it's weakness it's usually coming out of the hole... if its tightness it's usually sinking into the hole.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #18
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
As I discussed in the shoes, sitting article... it may or may not be adductor weakness. Can also be adductor tightness.

If it's weakness it's usually coming out of the hole... if its tightness it's usually sinking into the hole.
I have been thinking about that for two days now. I will have to test it and see where I go in. I'm pretty sure it is coming out of the hole. But not 100%. That is a great indicator.

The only thing I can remember lateley is on heavy cleans doring the WOD I would catch it in the squat and coming out the knees would go in. Now I don't remember and I don't think I caught it knees in. But I'm not 100% sure. I will test it like I said and post it on here and go from there.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #19
Mark Sun

Profile:

Does your knees come in only when u go heavy?

If so, you are going too heavy.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #20
Mike Neill

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSE4hnVDREY link is WFS

watch his knees...he must be going too heavy

people have different movement patterns...I'll take his