CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Mary Poulin

Profile:
good calories bad calories

I bought the book, yeahhh. I haven't read it yet. The reviews here on Amazon are scary. There is a decent amount of negative reviews and some of them are rather lengthy into discussing why they think the book is wrong. One that really made me think was this one (well portion of it).

"Doctor Dean Ornish. He's the world's leading authority om heart disease, he's saved countless lives, and he's reached the conclusion that sugar plays a tiny, incremental role in coronary artery disease. The main causal factors of Coronary Artery Disease are FAT and CHOLESTEROL."

The link to the reviews are here:
"http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Gary-Taubes/product-reviews/1400040787/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_next_2?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0& filterBy=addOneStar&pageNumber=2

What do you guys think of some of these bad reviews?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: good calories bad calories

Depends who you ask. Ask those that follow a paleo or zone type of diet you'll get people that say those are bad reviews. Those that tend to think high carb, lots of grains are good, they will agree with those reviews.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Mary Poulin

Profile:

I read a lot of Marks Daily Apple and enjoy reading it, than I read some of these reviews for this book and I get confused. Another portion of a review here: It's on that same site.

"What Taubes claims about insulin increasing fat storage is not only scientifically undemonstrable but also completely illogical and counterproductive to body survival.

There's a reason why the body stores excess calories as fat
and burn that fat where there's not enough dietary calories.
The reason is that this system is perfect and precise and allows
the best survival in whatever situation.

If really lowering one macronutrients (carbohydrates) would
result in less fat storage during excessive caloric consumption and more fat loss during defective caloric consumption, it would be the biggest metabolical flaw of the body and we would not be alive today.

Maybe it doesn't seem clear to our sedentary and glutton generation but the ability of the body to store excess calories as fat is a key of our survival. So is the ability to burn body fat at a steady rate, neither slower or faster occording to how many carbs one eats.

Have you ever wondered why insulin is high after eating proteins
or carbohydrates? Insulin is high because it is supposed to send
the amino acids and the glucose molecules in the cells.

Insulin is not a fat storage hormone !
""
Old 02-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Read it and make up your own mind. But don't make it your only source of information: read the people who think Taubes is full of it, too.

Katherine
Old 02-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Read it and make up your own mind. But don't make it your only source of information: read the people who think Taubes is full of it, too.

Katherine

It is important that everybody get information from various sources, and form your own opinion. GCBC is a lengthy book that is very hard to get through, but it shows an interesting viewpoint. There are SO many different opinions on nutrition out there, that it is impossible to say that 1 is the end-all-be-all.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

And basing your decisions off people writing a review of the book isn't the best way to go.

Check out the Protein Debate, you can a link to the article on Robb Wolf's site (WFS). You'll get arguments on both sides of the low carb/high carb debate.

Robb had a recent blog post around this topic too, you can find that here (WFS)
Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Poulin View Post
"What Taubes claims about insulin increasing fat storage is not only scientifically undemonstrable but also completely illogical and counterproductive to body survival.
"
From Wikipedia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin
The actions of insulin on cells include:

Increased fatty acid synthesis insulin forces fat cells to take in blood lipids which are converted to triglycerides; lack of insulin causes the reverse.

Increased esterification of fatty acids forces adipose tissue to make fats (i.e., triglycerides) from fatty acid esters; lack of insulin causes the reverse.

Decreased lipolysis forces reduction in conversion of fat cell lipid stores into blood fatty acids; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
adam adkins

Profile:

I thinkPollan does a nice job of putting GCBC in context. He notes how profound the book is in pointing out the flaws in our dietary logic but also states that taubes's conclusion is really no better than the science it debunks. According to Pollen diet and health are more than macronutrients. Look at the Inuit, which ate nearly 100% animal products, vs the pacific island(name escapes me but I will find it) that eat around 80% carbs. With such different diets neither have the common western disease
Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Look at the Inuit, which ate nearly 100% animal products, vs the pacific island(name escapes me but I will find it) that eat around 80% carbs. With such different diets neither have the common western disease
But they both have a common element in their diet, no grains.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
But they both have a common element in their diet, no grains.
Do we really have to go through this again?

The Okinawan diet includes plenty of rice. (And the almost as healthy Japanese diet includes even more.) The Abkhazian diet includes plenty of corn. Bread is a staple of the Mediterranean diet. And the list goes on and on. The Western diet is unhealthy, no argument there, but the mere presence of grains is not the reason.

Katherine