CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #311
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Re: How Does Anyone Afford CF?

I don't do CF anymore...and only went to an affiliate a couple of times. But here is what I'm thinking:

Instead of paying $100-$200 a month, why don't you save that money and build your own garage gym? It was the best investment I ever made.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #312
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
Instead of paying $100-$200 a month, why don't you save that money and build your own garage gym? It was the best investment I ever made.
some people need the group environment to motivate themselves and push harder.

I finally joined an affiliate after 9 months of doing it on my own. once i get my bumpers in my garage, i'll be 2 classes/wk at the box and the rest at home.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #313
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
some people need the group environment to motivate themselves and push harder.
Exactly. Before affiliation I had a good rack, oly bar and a couple bumpers at my house that I used exactly once in 5 months. But I never missed a class at the box.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #314
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

$200 a month ($2400 a year) is a lot of money for motivation, in my opinion. I completely outfitted my home gym for around $1800. But there isn't anything wrong with spending your money on a gym membership. I think it is kind of like deciding if you should buy or rent a house. If you're in it for the long haul, it only really makes sense to outfit your own gym.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #315
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
$200 a month ($2400 a year) is a lot of money for motivation, in my opinion. I completely outfitted my home gym for around $1800. But there isn't anything wrong with spending your money on a gym membership. I think it is kind of like deciding if you should buy or rent a house. If you're in it for the long haul, it only really makes sense to outfit your own gym.
$200 a month for equipment you actually use is better than $1800 for equipment that ends up gathering dust and taking up space. I'll do occasional workouts on my own, but to build a long term habit I need the fixed class time and interaction with other people.

Katherine
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #316
Tom Reyes

Profile:

The $1800/yr I spend at my affiliate is more than just "renting out the equipment." The community is a huge part of it. The whiteboard is a huge part of it. I know for a fact I would not have pushed myself to a 304 FGB or an 875 CFT if it wasn't for the crew at the box, so to speak. From a pure economical view, yeah, I'm spending more $$$ over the long run, but with the affiliate, I know I'll be showing up for the race for a whole lot longer. In the end, whatever works for you.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #317
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I enjoy the comraderie of the gym and the ability to share experiences with other folks. I also enjoy seeing what other people are capable of. It also helps me find out what my own strengths and weaknesses are.

That being said, I have every piece of equipment I could need in my garage gym now for around 2k. I workout regularly with my wife and a friend so that averages out to less than 56$/mo for one year per person.

I also like having my own so that I can throw in the random wod when I'm feeling spry. Or when I'm not like last night when I felt guilty for not doing a birthday wod so I did grace at 9:30pm. 31 C&Js though since I was turning 31.

We have two young kids and it's very important to be able to work around their schedules a bit as well. If I only went to an affiliate I'd have no idea what to do with a 2 year old while I spent an hour practicing oly lifts. And the monetary part of it does factor in since the wife is a stay at home.

If I have form questions I just video tape myself.

I definitely see the benefits of both, though.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #318
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

So I guess the consensus is "If you don't have enough self discipline to make yourself workout then an affiliate would be good for you?" I workout about 5-6 times a week at 5:00 AM. I guess maybe I am the exception, but I don't need someone else telling me to work harder.

As far as the community goes, I don't need to pay $200 a month to interact with others. That's why I have friends.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #319
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
So I guess the consensus is "If you don't have enough self discipline to make yourself workout then an affiliate would be good for you?" I workout about 5-6 times a week at 5:00 AM. I guess maybe I am the exception, but I don't need someone else telling me to work harder.

As far as the community goes, I don't need to pay $200 a month to interact with others. That's why I have friends.
Right on, Ryan. I am not sure the condescension is necessary, but whatever. If that is you in the photo - thank you for your service.

There are a lot of people who benefit from coaching -- not just to push them a little harder than they'd ordinarily push themselves, but also to cue and correct technique or to actually teach them NEW movements, etc.

Yep - community is where you find it. Glad you've got it.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #320
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Right on, Ryan. I am not sure the condescension is necessary, but whatever. If that is you in the photo - thank you for your service.

There are a lot of people who benefit from coaching -- not just to push them a little harder than they'd ordinarily push themselves, but also to cue and correct technique or to actually teach them NEW movements, etc.

Yep - community is where you find it. Glad you've got it.

i think it's funny that whenever someboyd disagrees with ryan, the first thing they do is thank him for his service.

Last edited by Renee Lee : 09-03-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: psst, ryan...thanks for serving!