CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #201
David Knutzen

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Ian, I'm in the middle of my first CFSB cycle, and have been following the anabolic diet for mass gain (3-4k kcals/day). So far, I'm up 10lbs, and am visibly more muscular than when I started. It's not all lean (can't be at that rate of weight gain), but I'd imagine a good proportion of it is. I'm feeling increasingly comfortable in the lifts, and I think the high-rep sets are really good for quality mass gain. That's just a hunch though. I know that I'm ravenous on the high-rep days.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #202
David Weber

Profile:

Ian I just completed about 8 weeks of starting strength as well and went directly into a ramp up with CFSB. I finished SS with squats at 285 x 5, press 130 x 5, power clean 185 x 5, bench 190 x 5, and deadlift 340 x 5. I am now in the middle of week 4 of CFSB (ramping up, as previously stated) and my last workouts have been squatting 295 x 3 and deadlifting 335 x 5.

I feel just as strong as when I left SS and I am also increasing my metcon capacity. I've been slowly weaning myself off the milk... down to about 1/2 gallon now and switching over to a paleo/zone. I just calculated a few of my days this week on fitday and I seem to average about 3000kcal per day at this point. When I finished SS 4 weeks ago I was hovering around 162# at a height of 5'10" (I've always been skinny). Today I weighed in at 166 and that's with fewer calories than I was doing for SS.

I've been extremely happy with CFSB and feel like it is great to start after an SS cycle. The first week back I tried Grace and knocked close to 2 minutes off my previous PR. I would highly recommend making the switch to CFSB but be sure to pay close attention to your recovery. Feel free to check out my log to see the metcons I've been doing and how I've been ramping up the weight. There's definitely more volume involved in CFSB than SS so it's important to take it slow.

Just want to shout out to Jeff and Bingo and say thank you for putting together this article and participating in this thread. I've tried the mainpage WOD for 3 months, done a few SS cycles, and switched over to the Performance menu WOD for 4 weeks but I must say I feel best and have had better results with CFSB than with any others.

Hope everyone else has enjoyed this as much as I have.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #203
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Weber View Post
Just want to shout out to Jeff and Bingo and say thank you for putting together this article and participating in this thread. I've tried the mainpage WOD for 3 months, done a few SS cycles, and switched over to the Performance menu WOD for 4 weeks but I must say I feel best and have had better results with CFSB than with any others.

Hope everyone else has enjoyed this as much as I have.
Second this!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #204
Eric Simpson

Profile:

Kemp (or anyone else who feels like commenting),

Ive read through most of the articles in this thread and I want to give this a go. Ive done Crossfit, SS and couple programs in between and this one looks to be what Im looking for.

I plan on competing in the Firefighter combat challenges this year but I also like to Roadbike in the summer. Is there anyway I could work in some Crossfit Endurance wods into your program? I saw this posted on the CFE site:

M - Squat 5x3, Short metcon - AM, CFE intervals PM
T - Long Crossfit metcon
W - CFE tempo or rest
Th - Deadlift 5x3, Push press 3x3
F - CFE intervals AM, Metcon PM
Rest on the weekends, or make up CFE tempo if rest Wednesday

Would it be worthwhile to follow this (with a single high rep set after the Squats, Deads and Presses)?

I was also thinking of following the original layout on the first page and doing a CFE Tempo workout on Wednesdays, CFE Interval workout on Saturdays (in addition to the presses), and a long easy recovery ride on Sundays. Caloric intake will be very high to support this and ensure good recovery.

If you see this being a recipie for disaster could you suggest something for me? I want to start this up asap and your guidance would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Eric
Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #205
Ian Bowers

Profile:

Thanks alot for all of your responses. I'll give it a shot eating and training with CFSB and see how it goes. I'll be sure to pass on my results.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #206
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Simpson View Post
Kemp (or anyone else who feels like commenting),

Ive read through most of the articles in this thread and I want to give this a go. Ive done CrossFit, SS and couple programs in between and this one looks to be what Im looking for.

I plan on competing in the Firefighter combat challenges this year but I also like to Roadbike in the summer. Is there anyway I could work in some CrossFit Endurance wods into your program? I saw this posted on the CFE site:

M - Squat 5x3, Short metcon - AM, CFE intervals PM
T - Long CrossFit metcon
W - CFE tempo or rest
Th - Deadlift 5x3, Push press 3x3
F - CFE intervals AM, Metcon PM
Rest on the weekends, or make up CFE tempo if rest Wednesday

Would it be worthwhile to follow this (with a single high rep set after the Squats, Deads and Presses)?

I was also thinking of following the original layout on the first page and doing a CFE Tempo workout on Wednesdays, CFE Interval workout on Saturdays (in addition to the presses), and a long easy recovery ride on Sundays. Caloric intake will be very high to support this and ensure good recovery.

If you see this being a recipie for disaster could you suggest something for me? I want to start this up asap and your guidance would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Eric
Eric, my opinion is that you need to figure out what your priorities are and select a program accordingly. My understanding of the firefighter combat challenges are that they are short explosive events for which CF would be a perfect fit. Your roadbiking would probably be taken care of with the CFE program (I'm not really up to speed with the particulars of the CFE program).

Apart from the general desireability of strength is there any real reason you need to inrease your training load by adding further strength? Maybe it could work with trial and error but if you are competing in your sports soon do you have the time to spare?

I don't think CFSB + CFE in their prescribed forms would be the way to go. If you wanted to try and get some strength whilst maintaining your endurance maybe consider subbing some short heavy metcons for the main page workouts. If after a month or so that volume was tolerable then consider adding one high rep lift every few weeks as your recovery permits.

That's my suggestion if you are determined to try and achieve such widely divergent goals. My recommendation would be to consider what your priorities are and program accordingly. Depending on the competitive seasons of your sports a simple periodised approach may allow you the best of both worlds.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #207
Thomas Prewitt

Profile:

I felt pretty good about my intermediate status going by the Seattle charts. But when I applied Rip's strength criteria, wow, what a downer.

I am loving my time with CFSB. I did SS first, then switched to CF last summer. My strength suffered some but my metcon capabilities were substantially better with CF. CFSB is just the right mix for me. And like bingo says, it is fun. And that I find to be important.

Thank the Lord that I am competing against myself. I don't know if I could find a weaker 180 lb, 48 yo against whom I could compare myself favorably.

And thanks to GD, Kempie, bingo et al for all the work in developing CFSB and patience on these boards. I hope everyone else understands the commitment this takes from you guys.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #208
Wade Smith

Profile:

I find I am bouncing from 3-3-3-3-3 to 5-5-5 schemas depending on mood, allotted time, etc. Is this okay or is it important to stick with schema for each exercise day?

For instance, last week SP 3-3-3-3-3 and this week due to family issues don't feel like going as heavy so I want to back it down to SP 5-5-5; still pushing hard, just less weight more reps.

Okay to choose whichever schema on heavy and/or high-rep-set each week? I assume so but would like to hear advice.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #209
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Wade, yes, the choice is yours. The training effect should be the same as long as you are still exploring PR's.

Cheers.

--bingo
Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #210
Chris Walls

Profile:

Ok I just thought I would share something. Since starting CFSB I am not only hitting some heavy 3s and 5s, and seeing big improvement in the higher rep stuff... but I am doing old 1RM for sets of 3, and even set a new press "1RM" PR while doing a 3 rep set!

Getting strong is so much fun... haha