CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:
New Mexico MMA

So. . .

I'm moving to NM in a month. I'm starting to get interested in MMA. The only martial arts experience I have is a black belt in TKD(but haven't practiced in about 6 years). I know I'll need some ground exp. first but here's my question. Does anybody know of either a MMA school or at least a Judo/Jui-Jitsu/Hapkido/some-kind-of-grappling school in the eastern side of the state. I'll be moving to Clovis/Portales soon.

I never really thought that I'd be competitive, but after a year of CF, I'm thinking that I might be on par conditioning-wise, and if I can add the skill-set then it might make for another box I can check off. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
-hub
Old 03-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Keith J Martin

Profile:
Re: New Mexico MMA

If you are truly serious about it, why dont you just go train at Greg Jackson's place...
Old 03-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:

Because it's 4 hours away. I'm serious about getting some ground experience, but I can't actually afford the time to drive 8 hours several times a week. I did search for his place and it looks great. Just wish it was closer. Thanks for helping me dial it in a little.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Keith J Martin

Profile:

Yeah I wouldnt drive 4 hours either, hopefully you can find a good school.
Maybe these could help:
http://www.challengermartialarts.com/schoolsNM.htm

http://www.proelite.com/locator
Old 03-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Mike Romo

Profile:

Give Jackson's a call and see who he might recommend that is closer to you. You can also try getting in touch with the local police and fire depts. I work for AFD and we have more and more guys getting into MMA all the time and I know the cops do a lot of it. It might take a little underground work, but you should be able to make some contacts. BTW, where in NM are you moving to? This is a pretty big state. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:

Thanks for the tip, that's a great idea. I'll call Jackson's now and then try to get in touch with some local LEO/FIRE once I get in town. I'm in the Air Force and I'm being stationed at Cannon AFB. It's pretty much on the Texas border, so I'm thinking of looking for places in that direction as well. Again, thanks. -hub
Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Mike Romo

Profile:

[quote= I'm in the Air Force and I'm being stationed at Cannon AFB. It's pretty much on the Texas border, so I'm thinking of looking for places in that direction as well. Again, thanks. -hub[/QUOTE]

Thanks for serving. I work part time at KAFB teaching PJs their paramedic school. You should have some luck on base, NM is getting more popular with MMA after Jackson's guys have done so well internationally. You should also try and contact the nearest NM State Police office and see if their guys are into it. Also with Cannon becoming a Special Ops base there should be some operator type folks around there to train with in the near future, who knows, you might become the hub/contact guy.

Oh yeah, if you're ever TDY in ABQ, you'll have no shortage of training partners. BTW, try posting on craigslist.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
Chad Browning

Profile:

Lets head over the American Karate Studios this week to get started with our MMA training.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
Thomas Beasley

Profile:

It has been a while since, I have checked out the boards. I too am stationed at Cannon. Have any of the people who are stationed there found places to train? It looks like there is a boxing gym that I am going to look into.

What are your thoughts on the American Karate Studio?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:

I guess they were under renovation or something when we checked it out, and I haven't heard from the guy since then, so I still don't know.