CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-15-2004, 04:56 AM   #11
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

When I hear the name Hercules, it conjurs up images of some type of Dinosaur Training. I think a weighted carry would be great. Farmers walk, sandbag carry, firemans carry or some variation of the Inman mile. Just suggestions of course. I don't think I will be doing an Inman any time soon.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:11 AM   #12
AARON FISHER

Profile:  
What is an Inman mile?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #13
Ross Burke

Profile:
This may be way harder than what you're looking for considering you're more of an endurance oriented person, but I couldn't stop myself from using this as an opportunity to create the ultimate pain tolerance/ strength/ endurance/ power compettition. Oh, and this is all to be done in 4 days.
1. Overhead barbell hold for 10 minutes with 225 lbs.
2. Farmer's walk, two hundred pound dumbells for a mile.
3. 200 lb. sandbag carry up the steepest and longest incline you can find, a great test of both stamina and strength; I was sore for nearly a week after carrying my barely 100 lb. girlfriend up a steep quarter mile hill.
4. Density training a la Bryce Lane, olympic squat 350 lbs. 100 times in 20 minutes.
5. As a more endurance oriented activity, 20 half mile sprints in 2 hours, each one under 2:20.
6. Butterfly stroke in the pool for a mile in sweatpants and long sleeve shirts for extra resistance in under 35 minutes.
7. For pure power, pull 300 lb. barbell from floor to locked out overhead like in a clean and jerk or clean and push press.
8. 600 pullups in 60 minutes. Very strict, all the way down to all the way up.
9. For pure strength, a 550 lb. deadlift.
10. Tabata thrusters with 95 pounds for 4 minutes for a minimum of 12 thrusters each work interval.
11. Muscleup with 75 lbs. extra resistance.
12. one arm strict curl and press 45 lbs 100 times. I know some guy claims to be able to do this one over a thousand times, but can he do the other 11 challenges too, and do this one after all of those in a 4 day period?
If I could one day do all of these I would be proud as hell for a while, until someone like Greg Amundson came and made me look silly by doing the entire thing in a matter of hours.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:12 PM   #14
Geoff Sample

Profile:

The "Inman Mile" sounds like a winner! A description of the lift is here. In truth, you could probably get a LOT of great ideas from the All-around Lifting Website at www.usawa.com - good luck!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #15
will schrenk

Profile:

How about an accuracy or coordination type event? Shooting metal plates with in a certain time limit with all the infantry weapons used by the marines? How about swimming while towing something ala Jack Lalanne?

Just out of curiosity, what is your training background?

Also, you brits have truly cool TV, I was reading the website for the Hercules competition and wishing we could get something like that over here! Sigh!!

Will
Old 03-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #16
AARON FISHER

Profile:  
Gents

Thanks for your responses to my challenge. I am currently about to deploy for a "10 week winter traning camp" to the Persian Gulf, so please excuse me if i disappear from this forum. I'll be back in early June, and will let you know the score with the challenge. I am still keen to speak to anyone re coaching for this if there are any budding trainers out there ? Think of the free PR of me wearing your e-mail site/company details for 12 awesome challenges and guaranteed national (Britain) coverage!!
Train hard, I'm already looking forward to the suffering of getting back into Crossfit and the Labours!!