CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-28-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
Harry Mitchell

Profile:
Globo gym competition prep training

Greetings all. My current situation has forced me to move house, away from my box where I was training 5-6 days per week. I am now nowhere near a box but there is a globo gym only a short walk away of which I am now a memeber of. My aim is to physically prepare myself to begin crossfit training again when I am able, with the intention of building up a base to return to crossfit training stronger and better at strict BW movements.

I would call myself an intermediate to advanced lifter in terms of years of experience but I have only been properly crossfitting for a year. I am 22 years old, 6'2, 90kg BW and my lifts are as follows: back squat 145kg, dead lift 175kg, front squat 125kg, press 65kg, clean 108kg.

I understand the limitations I face with the equipment found in a conventional gym but my plan is to focus on slow lift strength, basic bodyweight movements and perhaps some form of interval training on the C2 to build up my work capacity. I am unable to do any form of met con or olympic lifting due to lack of space and I don't want to be 'that guy' using up all the equipment at once and kicking people in the face doing butterfly pullups.

My question is would anyone care to share a rough template or program design which I could follow to achieve my aims? I am not too hot on programming but my plan at the moment is to do the Crossfit strength bias program, adding in a bench day, changing the days around a bit, working on bodyweight movements after the main lift and then rowing intervals afterwards.

My gym has a squat rack, benches, dumbbells, pull up bar, dipping bar and kettlebells along with some poorly maintained rowers.

Thank you for your time
Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Victor Robles

Profile:
Re: Globo gym competition prep training

Hi Harry!

I am in a similar situation. I went from working out at a box to now working out at a local YMCA. At the moment I am doing strength sessions 3x a week (MWF) using the Stronglifts 5x5 program (squats, bench, deadlifts, overhead press, barbell rows). All of which can be done at a globo gym. You alternate between an A & B workout.

This usually takes about 40-45 min and i follow it up with short metcon (typically consisting of kb swings, pullups, double unders, running (sometimes on the treadmill), dumbbell thrusters/snatches/cleans, dips, and handstand pushups if i can find an empty wall lol.)

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I usually do longer metcons like some type of chipper wod or will just go for a 30-60 min run. I also like to do some of the WODS from the Crossfit Invictus, CrossFit Endurance, and Competitor's Training websites.

I hope this helps!
Old 12-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

I'm not following why you can't do CF WODs at a globo gym?
Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Harry Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I'm not following why you can't do CF WODs at a globo gym?
Well there aren't any bumper plates, there's only one olympic barbell, barely enough space to even do my foam rolling and it's always busy.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Mitchell View Post
Well there aren't any bumper plates, there's only one olympic barbell, barely enough space to even do my foam rolling and it's always busy.
You can do O lifts without bumper plates. You can do CF style training there. Just get creative and find a time to go when the gym is less busy.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Alex Barnes

Profile:

Like Chris said just do CrossFit at the Globo. Like Victor, I was at a YMCA without bumper plates but did the olympic lifts with standard metal plates on a not so great olympic bar. Point is I made it work, I went first thing in the morning when they opened (part of the reason I had to leave a box) and had full use of the squat rack, and all other equipment I needed. You can even use a dumbbell as a replacement for a kettlebell. There are times where it gets hard because people will get in your way but if you adapt well enough you can make the globo work. Just stick to a good strength program and do the olympic lifts at weights you know you can manage and work on form and volume to increase your top end numbers.

Also talk to the the gym and see if they have any interest in adding the "crossfit" equipment we all know of. After a year of asking the gym Im at, they finally added bumper plates, proper oly bars and a some additional pieces. They may just add it over time if you ask enough and other people are on board. Globo gyms know they need to add these pieces of equipment to keep themselves diversified in their offerings and try to keep more people coming back. Best of luck at the gym!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Harry Mitchell

Profile:

Thanks for all the replies. I've worked out what I can and can't do now that I've been training there for a little while now. I still think using a barbell in a met con is off limits but that still leaves all the bodyweight and kettlebell movements. I'll just let the creative juices flow. Thanks again
Old 01-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Mitchell View Post
I still think using a barbell in a met con is off limits but that still leaves all the bodyweight and kettlebell movements.
Don't forget dumbbells for met cons. The dumbbell squat cleans at the end of Lumberjack 20 is one of the toughest sets in CrossFit.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

You may be intermediate to advanced in terms of time you've been lifting (possibly bro stuff?) but from your numbers I would not say you are advanced.

319lbs squat
385lbs DL
275lbs FS
143lbs Press
238lbs Clean

are not advanced numbers for a 200lbs guy, if anything your clean and front squat are better than the rest of your lifts.

You can most definitely get your strength up in the big 4 at a globo, AND cleans but I don't know about snatches.

so yes increasing your strength with some linear progression would be do-able
Old 01-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
Harry Mitchell

Profile:

I don't know dude. I think our definitions differ. I am intermediate for a crossfitter I never said I was an advanced powerlifter. Strength isn't everything and I'm also quite good in the other areas of crossfit (flexibility, agility, balance) for a guy my size. I'm still the second strongest guy at my new gym. I'm not a powerlifter or weightlifter