CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Eric Amzalag

Profile:
Attracting members for different class times

I have recently opened a new box in northern los angeles. We've been open 3 weeks and have 20 paying members by this time for which I am extremely grateful. However despite this success, i have found that my client base is quite segmented by class time. My daily attendance is skewed towards the morning and noon classes. I am usually getting 10 attendees before 1 pm and only 2-4 total coming to my classes offered from 530pm and later.

I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on possible reasons this might be happening? I do incentivize people price wise to attend the early sessions - my membership rates are $139/mo (far below local market rate) for those members that attend classes in AM, noon, or after 730pm. My rate for those who would attend 530pm and later classes is $179 - also roughly 20% below local market rate.

I have also wondered if it could be attributed to the type of marketing i am currently doing? I run a facebook ad daily, have yelp advertisement running, local signage, and have done roughly 1500 flyer drops in these last 3 weeks. I do have a decent social media presence (we are actively trying to grow it) and what i consider to be a moderately developed website.. The website is www.CrossFitEncino.com if that will help
About 40% of my leads so far have come from my local signage during daylight hours, which currently is between 8am-430pm.

Have any of you found different marketing tactics to have different rates of success in attracting clients who prefer different class times?

Hope this is clear! Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by Eric Amzalag : 12-12-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Sean Smith

Profile:
Re: Attracting members for different class times

Hey Eric,

Drop the advertising. You're getting short term results which isn't what you want. I know because that's what happened to me. By pricing yourself so much lower than your competition, you're getting clients based on that. I'm sure you've heard "I chose your gym because of the price" a lot. I started as the cheapest in my area and quickly increased my prices specifically to NOT be the cheapest. I was getting too many people who just wanted cheap CrossFit. People come to your gym based on the owner's attitude and persona. Are you good with people? You quickly learn that being nice and going out of your way for people will make you money. Are you doing Intro Classes? Foundations/On-Ramps? Is their a dedicated point of entry for your members (not an actual entry to the gym)? You can do all of the advertising you want, but if you don't have the systems in place once they join, they won't bring their friends and family to you. Facebook is the only advertising I'd stick with.

I've never heard of a gym charging different rates based on times. I wouldn't continue with it. Members are using the gym the same amount of time, same workouts, same coaching, but, because of when they attend class, they get a discount? That doesn't make sense to me. And of course that is skewing your attendance. I'd go at 5am if I could save money every month.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Eric - can't you see what you price differential is doing ? why would I pay $40 more to work out in the evneing ? and can you sustain $139 / month for long ? you'll have lots of people and lots of problems.

Fix this ASaP
Old 12-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Eric Amzalag

Profile:

Sean and Steve thanks for the responses. I had thought similarly but wanted to post here for some validation.

As of Jan 2015 ill be going to a single rate system. monthly membership at $159, still cheaper then market but sustainable for me.

I have an excellent onboarding system that is my main reason for success. My clients don't come in because of the price or even ask me the price when they move from my two week free trial membership to a paid membership. they just give me their card and say eric i trust you to charge me whats fair. Because I am fair, I have been following through on my advertised special rates for my "founding members", but they and my other current trial members know changes are coming and are comfortable with it.

however the above being said, I am still finding that I'm not getting attendees for my early evening classes, which in my experience in my market have been the busiest workout hours of the day. not really sure what that is about - whether it is local demographics or something else, but I think 4 weeks in business is too short a time frame (especially with thanksgiving and christmas thrown in to boot) to come to a conclusion.