CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Michelle Stafford

Profile:
My Dream Has Become A Reality, Though I Would Share With Hopes To Inspire Others.

Hello Community,

I just recently received the green light from CrossFit HQ and was approved to open my own Affiliate, CrossFit OutSpoken!!

CrossFit has become my life and absolute joy; my passion to coach and help others runs deep within me. To assist an athlete with achieving their goals, developing inner strength and confidence is priceless and the ultimate reward. I want to inspire others in hope they will inspire many more, I want to make people better inside and out!

I'm currently a Law Enforcement Officer, but will be leaving that career behind to focus on helping others in a different realm, the realm of fitness!! I'm very proud to work and serve my community as a Deputy Sheriff, but my passion for helping others in the realm of CrossFit is far more powerful.

It's a bittersweet and exciting step, I know we will be successful. For we will be pursing excellence and the goal of making people better through an amazing community!!

“There is no passion to be found in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living” – Nelson Mandela

Thought I would share my story.

http://myjourneyrx.com/2014/05/08/cr...hanging-lives/ WFS

Best Regards,

Michelle
Old 05-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Re: My Dream Has Become A Reality, Though I Would Share With Hopes To Inspire Others.

Hmm..You are the po po like me. Must be a terrifying move leaving the security of the paycheck and seniority to embark on opening a gym. My wife and I often speak of opening an Olympic Weightlifting, strength and conditioning gym since I'd love to get kids into the sport. When I was coaching CF two days a week and working it wore me out pretty quick. I enjoyed coaching but I got burned out. Not on the coaching part though.

I left and built a gym in my garage. My experience in real weightlifting is limited so I decided to live the life of a weightlifter as much as possible-training, competing-for the forseeable future. At this point I am still working on programming and coaching the lifts. I don't want to be part of the problem you know. Although I am a pretty good coach.

I have been approved for affiliation in the past but did not follow through.

Do I think about leaving and going for it? Heck yeah. It may happen some day but with incredibly small steps, probably not involving affiliation. Meanwhile I slog it out in my garage with a smile on my face.

Best of luck

Marsh
Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Michael Cook

Profile:
Re: My Dream Has Become A Reality, Though I Would Share With Hopes To Inspire Others.

Congrats! Hope you have a lot of success in your new venture.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Michelle Stafford

Profile:
Re: My Dream Has Become A Reality, Thought I Would Share With Hopes To Inspire Others.

Thanks for the support Guys!!

Marshall, I hear you ya brother, I understand the fear of leaving a stable job with benefits and a good retirement. Plus, I love being a Deputy Sheriff, but my true life passion is CrossFit. I love changing lives and making a impact.

My two cents:

In life the biggest rewards require the most risks. Believe in your mission and know you will be successful, don't settle for less then what you deserve or are capable of doing.

I made a plan and then executed it, letting nothing stand in my way and I ignored the Nay Sayers: plan, prepare and then do. It's hard and scary, but totally worth all the sacrifice and stress.

You got this Marshall, never give up on dreams!!

Anything I can do to help, let me know!! Be safe!!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Thanks Michelle. Again, good luck
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
Steve Loeding

Profile:

I am also a police officer and a CF gym owner. I have coaches covering classes that I cannot, which is good. I like doing both - can't see quitting a career with a good paycheck, great benefits and a pension. At the same time I love CrossFit - doing it, coaching it, and seeing people succeed. I think CF is a good opposite to police work, which is basically dealing with the worst in people. At times it gets daunting but I manage. I would suggest you stick with the police work until your CF gym starts getting too big to do both - but you can hire coaches ( or exchange memberships for coaching ) and still keep your wits about you. I have no idea what your benefits and pension are, but I'd wait just a bit till you're successful. I've been at this ( CF owner ) for 4+ years and have not turned a profit ( which is fine ) so that is something to consider. With CF getting more and more popular, you're no longer the only game in town. But congrats on the affiliation - it's a great feeling - now go and change some lives
Old 05-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Steve Loeding

Profile:

BTW - love the joy in the pictures of your first gym !!! Isn't it great to be an empty shell and realize the potential ??? what goes where, how is the lay out, where will we run, etc... such a great feeling
Old 05-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
Michelle Stafford

Profile:
Re: My Dream Has Become A Reality, Thought I Would Share With Hopes To Inspire Others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
BTW - love the joy in the pictures of your first gym !!! Isn't it great to be an empty shell and realize the potential ??? what goes where, how is the lay out, where will we run, etc... such a great feeling
Steve,

Thanks for sharing!! Yes it's very exciting to create and realize all the limitless potential. I have planed and prepared for this moment and ready to make this dream of ours happen.

Be safe and once again thank you for the feedback and words of encouragement!!

Best Regards,

Michelle
Old 05-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Ralphie_Martinez

Profile:

This is awesome! Congrats! and Thank you for sharing because it inspires, truly it does. Have fun and wish you the best of luck.