CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Joseph Alberga

Profile:
Met-Con Focused Training

Hello all, wondering your thoughts:

My strength numbers have gotten to the point where I feel they are minimally competitive enough, maybe not quite regional competitive, but some guys with smaller stuff have made it. My problem is purely met-con. It's really quite bad when compared to the studs.

Clean and Jerk: 285
Snatch: 230
DL: 435 (I'm aware that this is lacking)
Squat: 400 (high bar)
Unbroken pull-ups: 55
Fran: 2:29
30 Muscle-ups: 4:40

1rm power clean: 275
1rm power snatch: 195

For example, 14.1 - 30 double-unders, 15 power snatches at 75#, 10 min AMRAP. My score is atrocious at 280 reps. I can power snatch 195#, and I'm proficient with double unders (I've done 100 in 0:52), but after that 4th round, the gas tank is EMPTY. I mean, I have to limp the rest of the way through that 10 minutes.

Sprints under 5:00 (or even shorter) are definitely my jam.

My question: what are the MOST efficient tools and methods (somewhat specifically) to use for the next 12 months to earn the endurance I so lack? I have my own thoughts, but I'm curious as to what you coaches might have for me.

Thanks all.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Steve Loeding

Profile:
Re: Met-Con Focused Training

I would do three things

1. learn to pace and then kill the last part of the wod
2. intervals that have minimal rest
3. do longer wods 2 days per week - make that a priority
Old 03-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
I would do three things

1. learn to pace and then kill the last part of the wod
2. intervals that have minimal rest
3. do longer wods 2 days per week - make that a priority
I definitely pace, I don't come out swinging for fences because I know about my terrible problem of hitting the endurance wall.

The intervals, should they be running/rowing alone, hoping that the endurance transfers over to barbell, or should they be barbell focused interval training (for example, 1 min AMRAPs of power snatch, 135#)?

Longer WODs are a must, but I still don't find progress at the end of them, being gassed and passed up by weaker guys with more gas in the tank.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Eric Konieczny

Profile:

What is your score like on Fight Gone Bad? Filthy 50? Cindy? Grace?

Those are some longer WODS that you need a decent amount of endurance for?

As for improving your engine and endurance.

work on long wods like 15 min EMOTM 5 Clean and Jerk at 185#

Wall balls and T2B, growing ladder 3-6-9-12-15-18-20 reps each

Rowing and Running a lot

5x500M row, 1 min rest in between
6v 400m run 90 sec rest

and if you can find a pool, learn to so swim laps efficiently with proper breathing ever third stroke, every 5 strokes. 30 min in the pool and you will be gassed.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 AM   #5
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

To add to what has already been said -

Airdyne bike intervals. 30 sec or 1min on/off cycles. 10 rounds. Time on bike should be hard...like 90% plus of your engine. Time off you can rest or pick something like 10 plate push ups, ring push ups, dips, strict pull ups, abmat SU, plank holds, etc.... Pick a rep count you can do in 30 seconds or less allowing for some rest time (if you do the min on/off cycle)

I got on the aiddyne 6 months ago while rehabbing a back injury. It is no joke...
Old 03-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Alberga View Post
Hello all, wondering your thoughts:

My strength numbers have gotten to the point where I feel they are minimally competitive enough, maybe not quite regional competitive, but some guys with smaller stuff have made it. My problem is purely met-con. It's really quite bad when compared to the studs.

Clean and Jerk: 285
Snatch: 230
DL: 435 (I'm aware that this is lacking)
Squat: 400 (high bar)
Unbroken pull-ups: 55
Fran: 2:29
30 Muscle-ups: 4:40

1rm power clean: 275
1rm power snatch: 195

For example, 14.1 - 30 double-unders, 15 power snatches at 75#, 10 min AMRAP. My score is atrocious at 280 reps. I can power snatch 195#, and I'm proficient with double unders (I've done 100 in 0:52), but after that 4th round, the gas tank is EMPTY. I mean, I have to limp the rest of the way through that 10 minutes.

Sprints under 5:00 (or even shorter) are definitely my jam.

My question: what are the MOST efficient tools and methods (somewhat specifically) to use for the next 12 months to earn the endurance I so lack? I have my own thoughts, but I'm curious as to what you coaches might have for me.

Thanks all.
Strength is never a weakness. I would (and maybe have someone else too) really make sure you are moving as efficient as possible. When we start looking at those who perform really well, we typically see them moving much more efficiently than the rest of the pack. People like Spealler do not lapse on any mechanical advantage in every single rep to make the weight move easier. When he comes back from a row or a run to the barbell for something like a heavy deadlift, he takes the extra 2-3 seconds to properly brace and sequence his set up instead of just muscling through the bar. So small things Kelly is always pointing out for mechanical efficiency to produce the most power easiest is what I would look at first.

When we look at the best Games athletes right now, we are seeing a commonality in their training. A lot of them are hitting short, intense, very heavy workouts a few times a day. They're not mostly training these long white buffalo workouts to get their endurance. They stick to moving heavy weight fast. They recover a few hours or more, and do it again.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I like the advice given to you on long intervals--2 minute to 5 minute efforts-rowing, running, swiming (if you are a proficient swimmer), or on the bike--with a rest interval about one-half of the work interval. These should be very hard and hurt. If it becomes your least favorite workout, you know you are on the right track. Up the intensity when you notice you are handling it well.

I also like shorter tempo efforts--2 x 1 mile with 2 minutes rest; 10-12 minutes hard steady run; 2000m rows or even 2 x 2000m. Warm up well before doing these efforts. These should be comfortably hard where you are breathing heavy but not gasping for air.

With your strength numbers where they are, you have to put some real work in to get your cardio level to match your strength. I'd say at least 3-4 days a week you should be doing a separate monostructural workout.

Do you have access to a road bike or mountain bike? I'd go for at least an hour ride once a week, not a leisurely pace but not too hard. Use a high cadence to work your cardio and save your legs. The bike won't beat you up like running or wear your whole body out like rowing, so you can put in some longer efforts without the rest of your training suffering too much. While I agree intense efforts are the priority, when you are reaching for higher and higher levels and can handle the training volume then I think longer efforts have their place.

Just pay real close attention to your nutrition when adding extra cardio work so you don't start burning muscle and sapping your strength.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Konieczny View Post
What is your score like on Fight Gone Bad? Filthy 50? Cindy? Grace?

Those are some longer WODS that you need a decent amount of endurance for?

As for improving your engine and endurance.

work on long wods like 15 min EMOTM 5 Clean and Jerk at 185#

Wall balls and T2B, growing ladder 3-6-9-12-15-18-20 reps each

Rowing and Running a lot

5x500M row, 1 min rest in between
6v 400m run 90 sec rest

and if you can find a pool, learn to so swim laps efficiently with proper breathing ever third stroke, every 5 strokes. 30 min in the pool and you will be gassed.
swimming inefficiently would probably have more CF MetCon carryover than efficient swimming. Good technical swimming is far more relaxed and easy. Forcing yourself through the water inefficiently is much harder.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #9
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
swimming inefficiently would probably have more CF MetCon carryover than efficient swimming. Good technical swimming is far more relaxed and easy. Forcing yourself through the water inefficiently is much harder.
My experience is that, for an inefficient swimmer, the problem is that swimming gets too broken up, and you don't breathe well enough, to really hit targets in high intensity interval training. For proficient swimmers, they can do hard efforts and maintain sufficient form so they can get in a great workout just as if they were running or rowing or cycling. Inefficient swimmers are probably best off working skills in the water and leaving their intense interval training for other types of workouts.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Jennifer Charles

Profile:

I have the same problem. For the last several weeks, I've been doing a tabata-style workout that includes burpees, wall balls and other drills where I seem to gas out before I think I should. It has made a noticeable difference. It has also helped with mental performance during a WOD. Now when we do wall balls, I go hard for twenty seconds and take a few breaths and go again...because I know that I can do it.

I've also included a pyramid interval run once a week.

It's been really frustrating watching my strength numbers go up but knowing I'll be the last to finish the WOD. But this past week I actually finished before two people.