CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Erin Potter

Profile:
New around "town"

Hi all...

I am new to crossfit having started in April. I started with a three week beginner program 3x a week and then continued for another 3 weeks that built on the previous program.

I joined the box as an unlimited member a couple of weeks ago. My goals starting out were just to get more fit and maybe lose a few pounds. My strength has been improving; I'm not losing weight but that's okay.

I'm having some issues with my shoulder especially since we've been doing burpees and pushups every time I go to workout. I started out at 3x a week on a 1/1 schedule and am trying to work up to going every day.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Phil Washlow

Profile:
Re: New around "town"

First off, welcome to CrossFit! You should not be having "issues" with your shoulder, some soreness is to be expected but certainly not issues. Here is a video that will help you verify your push up position, which translates to the burpee. I have noticed that many coaches don't focus on push up position so you may have been doing them incorrectly and no one told you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h2TUz2eod4 . I hope it helps!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

Welcome aboard!

Instead of using the scale to gauge your progress, take some photos and some measurements. They are a much better gauge of progress than the scale, and you will see amazing results with a month or 2 if you are going 3 days a week or more.

Learn the lifts, work on technique, and go slow to avoid injury.

Great video for the push-up - thanks for posting.

And most of all, have fun!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
Erin Potter

Profile:

Thanks for the video.

When I started a couple months ago, I had to do my pushups on the wall so I have made progress - I am scaling by worming up on the floor instead. What I have to figure out how to translate when using pushup bars/db. I use them because of a long standing tendon issue with my wrist that prevents full flexion.

What I got from my coach today was to do more shoulder rollouts and use a lacrosse ball to massage it.

Thanks for the advice...
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
John H Curtis

Profile:

On the weight loss side of things are you looking at diet changes along with your working out, or just mainly working out?

Just asking because from a personal perspective, I've always seemed to plateau the most in my efforts at weight loss when I'm only addressing my diet or only addressing exercising. Addressing both simultaneously has been an adjustment, but seems to so far be producing good results for me at least (doing CF 3 x per week and eating paleo along with greatly increased water intake).