CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:
Comparison: Rogue Spealler Rope vs. Again Faster Rev X Rope

It should be noted that jump rope preference is extremely subjective, and this is only my opinion. I've never gone for a max DU count, but I consistently get roughly 50 without a problem and I just took 1st in an event with a lot of double unders in a local competition. I'm by no means a pro, but I'm probably a little better than average.

I just got the Rogue Spealler Rope and a friend got the AF Revolution X rope. I'll compare them here.

I'll start with the Rogue rope (http://www.roguefitness.com/spealler-speed-ropes.php. $21.95 + shipping.

Appearance: The Rogue Spealler rope looks really cool. I'm probably partial because our gym's color is orange. The handles are a powder blue and the cable is a bright orange.

Performance: The Rogue rope's handles are really nice. The bearings are larger (as shown in the pictures) and the handle feels great in my hands. The rotation is very, very smooth and very fast.

The rope itself however is a little too thin and light for my liking. After a few days of use, I have gotten a lot more used to it, but it's still very difficult to "feel" as you jump. This makes small corrections much more difficult, and magnifies any small errors that may happen at the wrist as I fatigue. If I start to lose it, I lose it. It kind of feels like jumping rope with thick fishing line. If you're a pro, it probably doesn't feel that way.

I'm sure that with more time, I'd probably get the feel of the jump rope down a lot better, and it wouldn't be a problem.

Now for the Again Faster Revolution X Rope (https://www.againfaster.com/en/shop/...lution-rope-x/) $29.95 + shipping

Appearance: The AF rope is a steel blue-ish color with black handles. It looks good. It's not as flashy as the Spealler rope, which may be a positive or negative depending on your personality.

Performance: The handles are a pretty generic shape and are comfortable to hold. The bearings are a bit smaller than the Rogue handles and there is definitely a different feel to them as they rotate. I don't think it's quite as smooth as the Spealler rope. There is a tangible feeling of the handles spinning. Nothing crazy, just different than the Rogue rope.

The cable is really the huge difference between the two. The AF cable is slightly heavier and stiffer. It's really, really awesome. Whereas the Rogue rope feels like it doesn't necessarily maintain its shape as it rotates (I'm sure it does, I just can't "feel" it as well), the AF rope feels like a perfect circle. I know exactly where it is in space and can adjust accordingly if I make a small mistake. Some people may get more tired using a slightly heavier rope, but I don't think I fall into that category.

Since I had ordered the Spealler rope for myself, I was annoyed when I tried my friend's AF rope. It was much better for me. It almost felt too easy. So far, everyone who has tried the two has felt the same way.

Conclusion: They are both great jump-ropes. In my opinion, though I prefer the handles and the feel of the Rogue rope, the AF cable is a lot better for me and the one I would choose if I had to decide between the two.

Second Conclusion: Since I like the Rogue handles better than the AF handles, and I like the AF cable better than the Rogue cable, I decided to try a franken-rope made of the two. The diameter of the AF cable is a little smaller than the Rogue cable, so it's not a perfect fit in the handles, but it didn't make a huge difference.

The Franken-rope is really sweet. The smoother action of the Rogue handles mixed with the AF cable makes for an awesome jump-rope. You can get a Rogue Spealler rope for the handles and order a replacement Rev X rope from Again Faster for $8.95 and have a really sweet rope for roughly $30. And then, you can swap cables as you see fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	2169
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	12389  Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	2275
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	12390  Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	1323
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	12391  
Old 05-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Kurt Konodi

Profile:
Re: Comparison: Rogue Spealler Rope vs. Again Faster Rev X Rope

Nice Review. The again faster rope is the exact same as the R1 speed rope from http://www.jumpnrope.com/R1rope.htm (WFS) which is $22+shipping. They even note in the description it was designed by Molly Metz who owns Jump n Rope. It's also cheaper to go through them to get a replacement cable, just make sure you select the blue coated rope.

I bought a rope from them and love it. I too made a Franken rope from the extra cable it comes with and my rogue SR-1S. Everyone that uses the rope always mentions how much they like the cable.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:

Thanks for the review. I've become pretty good with my SR-1, but I understand what you mean with the cable. It's worked great for me so far, but I'm always up for trying new methods and tools. I ordered the blue coated cable to try and will try and report back here once I have some time on it in my SR-1 handles.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Duffy Mahoney

Profile:

The shorter handle of the SR-1S and the Spealler makes my wrist fatigue less. I am coming from an SR-1 and it's very clear how much easier DU's are. I also have a blue jumpnrope cable for my Spealler. The combo is awesome.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Michael Trang

Profile:

I have an RX Jump Rope with the 2nd lightest rope currently...just wondering if any of you guys have had any thoughts on how that compares to these two?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Matty Rogers

Profile:

I have the Again Faster Rev X rope. Very happy with it.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
Matthew Kreps

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Trang View Post
I have an RX Jump Rope with the 2nd lightest rope currently...just wondering if any of you guys have had any thoughts on how that compares to these two?
I have an RX and a Rev X and I prefer the RX but that is because that is what my gym has and that is what I learned on. My Rev X is faster and good for short sets but I prefer the RX because I can control it better and when I get tired. I can slow my turnover rate and use double-unders as recovery.