CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Michael Mantione

Profile:
The Vulcan Elite Training Bar (Bushing) Review

The Vulcan Elite Training Bar (Bushing)

About a year ago I took a leap of faith and ordered a Vulcan 20kg bar. I had been using a 2012 Rogue Bar for 6 months and wanted a change in scenery . My review of the original Vulcan Bar can be found under its own thread being compared to the Rogue Bar.

I recently purchased a house and am in the middle of building my garage gym . It was time for another bar. I LOVE my original Vulcan and was quite impressed by the quality of it. I decided my new bar had to be low maintenance (Black oxide finishes like the one found on the original Vulcan Bar need a bit of upkeep by rubbing them down with 2 in 1 oil or wd 40 to keep the surface from oxidizing). I wanted something that would be able to handle the harsh conditions of my moist un-insulated garage. Since I was so impressed with my last purchase I decided to give the Vulcan Elite Training Bushing Bar a shot. The bar arrived within a week and in perfect condition.

I lifted with the bar every day for a little over a month now and I absolutely love it. The bar has a 218,000 psi tensile strength and a yield strength of 195,000 psi. Most of the bars on the market will have 140,000 to 160,000psi (tensile strength). Anything more than that is rare because a bar needs to have a bit of whip (or flex) when an athlete tries to move weight fast . From my experience manufacturers have a hard time balancing out tensile strength and whip. If a bar has too high of a tensile strength the bar will be stiff and not conducive for OLY style lifting. If a bar has too little and it may bend! Vulcan has managed both, the bar has a high tensile strength and has amazing whip. Whip is usually activated by heavy loads in upwards of 300 pounds or 140 Kilograms. This bar has an active whip with as little as 235lbs. This may not seem like a big deal but that 1/2 an inch may be all you need to lock your elbows under that squat clean PR you've been failing to get for a month! I'm not going to say that this bar will make you lift heavier ( Just like those new pair of shoes that make you jump higher and run faster) But it will assist you in getting to those PR's.

The knurling on this bar is more aggressive than the original Vulcan but only just. On a roughness scale, 10 being super rough and 1 being smooth. I would rate the Rogue bar a 4(since everyone and their mother has used a Rogue bar), the Original Vulcan bar a 3 and the Vulcan Elite Training Bar a 3.3. It's rougher than the original Vulcan Bar and not as rough as the Rogue bar.

I had my reservations about getting a bar with center knurling. I didn't want it to tear up my chest when I used it for front squats. To test it out I ran through a shirtless 135lb Bear Complex for 30 reps for time and the center knurling caused me no grief.

The spin on the bar performed as it should on a bushing bar, meaning that it was on par with other bushing bars on the market. It's not going to compete with any bearing bars but you get what you pay for. The sleeves on the bar have slight ridges to help keep the bumper plates from moving. I really don't see a difference in performance from bars with smooth sleeves . My experience is the more weight you add onto the bar amplified by the distance of the drop and the type of collars will affect plate movement more than sleeve design.

The shaft of the bar is 28mm which is rare without paying a lot of $$$$ for it. I struggled to find options with 28mm shaft diameter under $500.00 . Or atleast that were 20kg(45lb) mens bars. That being said this is one of the main reasons why I love this bar. I have small hands and I found it easier to secure a solid hook grip on the bar. My girlfriend even uses this bar in her wods and she feels right at home with it!

I wanted more input on the bar from other crossfitters so I traveled to two different boxes and let trainers as well as members use if for a day and got some general feedback from them. Crossfitters really loved the Vulcan Elite Training bar's 28mm shaft diameter ,whip and softer knurling. Most thought that the spin was about average and equal to that of the other bushing bars at the gym. Overall the bar was well received.

Vulcan Elite Training Bar

-Takeaways LIFETIME WARRANTY AGAINST BENDING BREAKING OR SLEEVES FAILING TO ROTATE!!

- holds chalk well , chalk really enhances the knurling (you have to try it to know what I'm talking about)

Bright Zinc Coating for high moisture areas and low maintenance is a plus

Good OLY knurling & Center Knurl (Center Knurl feels softer than outside knurling not sure if it is though)

Spin is on par with other bars on the market

Above Average Whip (activated without super heavy weight)

Top end of the market for tensile strength

Stiff enough for dead lifts

28mm shaft is amazing (girls will love it too)

Does not have Dual Knurling marks only OLY

Pendlay ECON V2 ,Rogue HG, Get Rx'd and Hi Temp bumpers fit well on the sleeves!

RUST WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE!!!

I plan on using the Original Vulcan in my high rep workouts and the Vulcan Elite Training Bar for my heavier OLY lifts. This is one of my favorite bars as it brings low maintenance together with high end performance. I prefer the black oxide feel of the original Vulcan but I needed something to fight the moisture in my wet garage. I beat the crap out of this thing already and have left it out and the garage ever since I got it a month ago and it looks brand new! The difference from using a 28.5mm bar to 28mm bar is more significant than I thought. If you haven't had the chance to lift with a smaller 28mm diameter this is a must have. I recommend this bar to anyone who is looking for a low maintenance high-end bar that can be used in a multitude of workouts but has a niche toward OLY style lifts!

This is my take on my time with the bar incorporated with the feedback of the lifters who used it. Someone who clean and jerks 500lbs may have a different experience. I can only speak for what I have experienced through my own lifts and through feedback from the local gyms I visited.

Anyway, the information is free so use it to help you make the right choice for your lifting sessions. Overall if you need an Oly bar (non bearing), I would recommend this bar.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Michael Mantione

Profile:
Re: The Vulcan Elite Training Bar (Bushing) Review

I haven't gotten my hands on the Rogue Ohio bar yet I can't wait to see what that offers. When I do, im not sure if id like the bright zinc or the black oxide... nothing feels better than "bare steel". But my dang garage is so moist!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Interesting. For $269 that's a nice price on sale from $369.

28mm does sound nice. I don't really need a center knurl, especially as I often back squat in a tank (which to be honest is sometimes better in a t-shirt).
Old 05-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Jack Bravo

Profile:

Would be nice to get a comparison to the rep fitness Excalibur bar that just came out, 215k/200k steel at $289, no center knurl

Last edited by Jack Bravo : 05-19-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Michael Mantione

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bravo View Post
Would be nice to get a comparison to the rep fitness Excalibur bar that just came out, 215k/200k steel at $289, no center knurl
I looked at that one too. Ill have to go back over it there was something I read about it that didnt sit right.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Michael Mantione

Profile:
Talking Re: The Vulcan Elite Training Bar (Bushing) Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bravo View Post
I think it was the lack of reviews. I just looked at it and it looks alright, same as mine without the center knurl and a deeper knurl all together. I like the fact that it has dual OLY marks. even though I used the center stop knurl instead of the power knurl. The yeild strength is high i wonder how the whip is.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ugh, rough knurls. I'm sure Crossfitters like it more for high rep DL but it'll chew your hands up quick.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Ugh, rough knurls. I'm sure Crossfitters like it more for high rep DL but it'll chew your hands up quick.
agree, high rep cleans eat my hands up quick if a bar is gnarly knurly.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Michael Mantione

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
agree, high rep cleans eat my hands up quick if a bar is gnarly knurly.
The Vulcan Elite Bar is perfect!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mantione View Post
I think it was the lack of reviews. I just looked at it and it looks alright, same as mine without the center knurl and a deeper knurl all together. I like the fact that it has dual OLY marks. even though I used the center stop knurl instead of the power knurl. The yeild strength is high i wonder how the whip is.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=153365501 WFS

Pretty strong dude reviewed it