CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-15-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Within the next couple of weeks I will be building a new playset (swings, slides, monkey bars, etc.) for my kids in my backyard. I am seriously considering the idea of adding some 'toys' of my own (pull up bar, parallel bars, rope climb, rings station, etc.) Although the Derek Ray approach (post hole digger, 4x4s, cement) will suffice for most of the stuff, I have some doubts when it comes to the rope climb and the rings station, both of which will exceed 13' in height. Unfortunately my backyard doesn't have any tall trees to hang the rope and rings from. Does anybody know if 4x4s will still be sturdy enough at that height? Does anybody know of any web-based resources that would aid me in designing something like this. I've tried searching a little on my own but I just keep getting 'standard' playground equipment sites. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan
Old 07-15-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ryan-
Dave and Nick of Crossfit-North were able to get some old telephone poles given to them for the purpose of installing an outside rope-climb/ring station. Perhaps contact them and investigate that option.
Robb
Old 07-15-2003, 03:27 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
With proper crossbracing 4X4s of decent wood will be plenty sturdy at 13+feet. You just want to make sure forces are properly distributed and the lever arms aren't too long. Really the vertical height shouldn't be too much of an issue. Properly designed all of the force on the vertical 4X4s should be straight down. If you expect lateral forces (swings) then look into cabling. Put in a couple of anchor cables on each vertical at 60 deg (angle from ground to cable) to take the lateral forces and your 4X4s will be fine.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
David Werner

Profile:
Ryan
Call around to your city utilities departments and ask where the old poles go and/or who takes them out. Utility poles are always being replaced. Then track those poles down and ask for them.

4x6s will also work (or better 4x8s). For a tall structure it would work well to arrange three poles into a triangle 6-8 feet on a side with three cross bars at the top. This would give you a lot of room for ropes, rings, pullup bars, peg boards and more. a 15-16 foot structure should not be hard to make this way.

Let us know how it turns out.

David

Old 07-16-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Thanks to everyone for the pieces of advice. Looks like I have some work ahead of me, but I'll let you know how the completed product works out. Might be a few weeks though - I still have to put up a fence around my yard (Don't want my crossfit playground turning into an invitation for lawsuits!)

Ryan