CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #221
Jesse R james

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Information that is insufficient to prove a theory is not necessarily insufficient to increase the likelihood (based on known information) that the theory is correct. If people were unable to understand probability and assign various confidences, we would be very far from where we are now. If you do not make estimates each day based on incomplete data, then you are missing a lot of opportunities to expand your understanding of the world. There are no true certainties.
I totally agree with you on daily issues but this isn't a simple daily issue. This could, potentially, effect the livelihoods of a great deal of people and thus should be based on as much information as we can possibly get AND confirm.

Will we get ALL the information and have 100% certainty? No.

But that doesn't mean people shouldn't get as much as possible before making a decision and jumping to action.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #222
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse R james View Post
We can agree that Coach Glassman has stated that publicly.

We can also agree that Lauren Glassman has stated that she believes selling to Anthos over another party was the best decision for everyone involved.

We're still at the point I mentioned earlier of not having enough verifiable information to make a decision either way.
Well, no. YOU can make a decision about whether or not you want the status quo or new ownership that will invariably change things. That is what it boils down to.

Last edited by Chris Mason : 07-30-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #223
Justin McCallon

Profile:

It's mostly gossip until we get more facts. I doubt many folks are making any big decisions since not much they do affects anything. Folks speculate and analyze limited infornation to paint the best estimate of the true picture...

Btw I should add that I know very little about family law (or Az or Ca law). It would be interesting to see the in house CF attorney answer the questions that keep getting repeated..

Chris, how can the status quo change? When you bought out Dan, I think the situation was a bit different. Custmers trusted you both and you were a bit removed as the face of the business. Here, CF has value primarily as a brand people trust. Take Greg out of the picture and you completely devalue the business... AtLarge, comparitively, still has great products.

Last edited by Justin McCallon : 07-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #224
Joey Powell

Profile:

First off, I want to say thank you to all those that have reached out to me and my family though email and facebook. We kept largely to ourselves after all this, kept our heads down, and went back to work. Several people offered financial support as well, but I am proud to say that even with the all that happened, our affiliate is bigger than before the 'merger'. (In no small part due to her personal behavior at her own facility).

Crossfit Prescott is thriving. All the trainers but 1 came back (he emailed me not long after to express sorrow and explain he was over a financial barrel). These trainers were making good money off of her scamming my clients and came back and worked FOR FREE at our place for months to get us back on our feet. All of but a handful of clients out of over 120 came back with-in 2 weeks of us re-opening( it took us 6 weeks to get the actual gym up and running). Even to this day, we 've get back 1 or more a month. As of today, we've gotten word that former clients of ours, who had a professional relationship with her before this incident and were stuck in the middle, are looking to come back to us now.

Why am I wasting your time telling you all of this...because you have to understand the nature of this conflict and the sheer moral deficit she will display to get her way. I was clearly and admittedly a dupe. I took her at face value. Please be smarter than me.

I think it is a total waste of time to keep talking about Anthos. Anthos doesn't mean a thing if Lauren doesn't want to sell. She is the linchpin, period. Anyone giving her a pass either has not actually spent significant time with her or is being paid to be in her little posse'.

Critically, ask yourself, where are all the people from the original CF running to her defense? Annie? Nicole? Eva? Dave? Greg A.? No where. Not on here facebook page...not in this forum. None of them even showed to her Grand Opening a year ago! Why? because they didn't want any part of her (I could have used a note from those in the know...).

She abused her relationships with with people who tried to stay neutral in HQ. I even got an note from a fellow affiliate owner yesterday:

Quote:
After the first lunch and conversations I had with her, I felt very uncomfortable. She invited me to come teach a kettlebell seminar, and I didn't know how to demur without openly rejecting or insulting her, which I was very much afraid to do. But I felt so uncomfortable I didn't talk to her for another couple months.

Then it was the grand opening, and she sent me some nice notes saying she'd like to see me there and introduce me to Lindsey and Gus Smith and various other people, etc. So I went up to Prescott and met with her again.

In that conversation, I saw her refer to her trainers and clients as a bunch of idiots and losers. She did it in hushed tones, conspiratorially.

I'm a little less comfortable telling some of my other insights, but I need to trust my judgment --- I was silent about her before, and now that she's really played a big hand, the truth should be loud and clear to everyone.

She expressed to me, again somewhat conspiratorially, her opinion that marketing and image can be more valuable than sound training. Hence her model of having limited-competence trainers.

After the grand opening, I felt a little bit sick, and told my wife I was worried for what the future of crossfit in the state of AZ might look like. I didn't respond to any letters or notes she sent me after that, and I didn't follow up with the seminars or visits she wanted me to do. And I haven't told my gym members why we aren't visiting Captain or attending any events there.

Nothing big or dramatic.

I'm really sorry for the way you've suffered through this.

Here, look at her own version of events...you tell me. She named it "Captain CrossFit-The Essay"

https://www.facebook.com/notes/laure...63560360336672YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

I would write mine several days later titled "Captain CrossFit -The Essay (The Non-Fiction Version).

https://www.facebook.com/notes/josep...36751696368212YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Compare the two...mine is still incomplete...as much more has happened and was discovered in the past year.

Very soon after, sI found out from inside HQ she was demanding Greg to pull my affiliation. Just for explaining the story. He told her to pound sand and that she brought it on herself.

Look, I live here. We have families that one spouse and kids trains with us and the other spouse trains there. Straight up, people gossip. Her place is a sieve. As well, I let her 'train' people out of my facility for several months as we were ramping up. I saw her disdain for people and the pure terror women expressed to me about her attitude, demeanor, oggling, and inappropriate attire. I saw her squeeze Greg to make CrossFit Inc. pay for the building, renovations, and equipment because she couldn't get a line of credit. We were completely caught off guard by the tactics and later what we would find out to be lies about their whole relationship. Lauren and my arguments were based off of her behavior I can assure you the motivations are spite. We were blessed she was not actually there for the most month we were. As a matter of fact we were blessed to be let go before our clients linked her behavior and reputation to us.

Everything to do with her affiliate turned out to be spite. Spite at Coach and to prove to the world she could actually be something other than a client of, then be the girlfriend of, and then be the wife of the man who started/conceptualized CrossFit. It is jealousy that he gets the fanfare and credit. The sad truth is, Crossfit didn't begin its meteoric rise until Lauren got out of the way over 3 years ago. This action with Anthos is no different. She feels entitled will screw everyone else to get at Greg. Bank on it.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #225
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Well, no. YOU can make a decision about whether or not you want the status quo or new ownership that will invariably change things. That is what it boils down to.
Lauren Glassman did state this in her Facebook message:

"I approached several alternatives for CrossFit, as it has long been my contention that CrossFit is in need of more professional management, corporate structure and accountability. I have heard from many of you that you feel the same."

I don't think this is all about outward changes in CrossFit.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #226
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Powell View Post
https://www.facebook.com/notes/laure...63560360336672YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.
Despite all those years involved with CrossFit, she doesn't seem to have mastered any of the lingo.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #227
Steve Loeding

Profile:

As an affiliate owner of a very small CrossFit gym, I will say that I certainly appreciate everything Greg aka Coach has done and not done - he has given me the opportunity to open an affiliate at a small yearly cost and through that I have had the chance to change peoples' lives, make fantastic friends, and gotten great conditioning and learned to love the Oly lifts. He has not forced me to sell a certain product, buy from a certain retailer, nor has he told me how to run my gym and program for my athletes. I will stand by him - and if it means ending my affiliation and starting anew under a different brand name with him running the show, I will do that.

Keep up the good fight Coach -we are behind you.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #228
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Lauren Glassman did state this in her Facebook message:

"I approached several alternatives for CrossFit, as it has long been my contention that CrossFit is in need of more professional management, corporate structure and accountability. I have heard from many of you that you feel the same."

I don't think this is all about outward changes in CrossFit.
You know, when you think about it, CrossFit is a total phenomenon. It has blown up amazingly. To suggest it has been poorly run flies in the face of the reality of what it has done and become.

More proof to me this is vindictive behavior, but who knows?

What I DO know is which side I support in this matter.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #229
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
So what is YOUR position?

As to the discussions etc., yes change is inevitable with growth, but adding a private equity firm at 50% ownership certainly INCREASES the chances of dramatic change.
My position? I don't have one, really. I don't own an affiliate. I don't care whether the one I train at has a Crossfit sign over the door or not, and trust the owner to make the decisions that work for his business and the way he wants to train people.

Katherine
Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #230
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I would say bad guess (that part about the bid - I agree with the 1st part). 50% of CrossFit is easily worth $20 million. Glassman could easily get funding for such a buyout. His wife clearly does NOT want to sell any percentage of her ownership to him. It's called being vindictive. Happens a lot in divorce...

Now, as you said in an earlier post, we don't have much, if any of the facts, but I would bet my bottom dollar based upon what is out there that what I said above has some degree of truth (about Mrs. Glassman not wanting to sell to him).
It's also not beyond the realm of possibility that he is balking at the suggestion that he should pay *her* for clear ownership of *his* company. That happens in divorces, too.

Katherine