CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Larry Bruce

Profile:
10 week plan - sounds good?

This isn't Crossfit per se but these are my objectives (in order of importance to me):

1) Improved mile time
2) Bodyfat loss ( 3+ pounds)
3) Muscle loss minimization (or gain if you believe in miracles)
4) Enjoy and improve tennis game
5) Improve gymnastic strength & skills

Da plan:

1) 400m (6-8) repeats 2x week @ mile goal pace

Will walk or jog 400m between repeats, gradually reducing to 200m over time. Sprints tend to not impair muscle protein synthesis.

2) Eat at a 300 cal deficit (incl activity burn) 5-6 days per week

Keeping the deficit small due to activity level and to minimize hunger and muscle mass loss.

3) upper body/core workout 2x/week + sled walks 1-2x week

Mostly upper body/core for muscle maintenance.

Sled walks improve aerobic capacity of fast twitch fibres, which should help speed endurance.

I incorporate gymnastic training from O.G. and BtGB in the upper body/core workout.

4) tennis 1-2x week

For enjoyment and competition.

5) rest 1-2 days / week depending on how feeling

Will eat at maintenance or slight surplus these days. Gotta live!

------------------

Will test mile time weekly or every other week, perhaps before an upper body workout.

Typically for longer distances LSD is built up first and then speed is layered on. But at a mile I think it's important to get the speed and then layer in extra endurance as needed. Plus, I already have the endurance to run over 6 miles albeit slowly! When my mile time stops improving I can substitute an LSD day of 5 miles for something else.

I generally don't like to eat at a deficit while being very active, but I think the workouts are short enough, around an hour, that it shouldn't be a huge issue. I need to lose some of my 50 year old babyfat, and it's not coming off through exercise alone.

My main concern is, is this too much for the legs? Can cut out sled walks, tennis or even 1 day of running if they don't recovery. R&R is key.

Also concerned I'm trying for too many things at once. However, they seem to be generally supportive of each other, synergistic in other words.

Another option is joining a Crossfit box for 3 months and following their programming 3-4x/ week, except for tennis, and seeing where it gets me. Any thoughts as to which way might be more effective?

Thanks!

Last edited by Larry Bruce : 06-24-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Larry Bruce

Profile:
Re: 10 week plan - sounds good?

Should have said up front, wondering if the above would be more effective achieving the stated goals, or if joining a crossfit gym would and following their pseudo-random programming 3-4x week for 10 weeks would be, tennis excepted?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

It is better to start off with less and add as needed. I learned the hard way recently when I was on a calorie deficit, working out 4 days a week, and playing soccer. When on a cut, 3 days a week strength training is enough. Use the other two days for the running and tennis. If you join a CrossFit gym, I'd go 3 days a week on non-consecutive days (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday).

What is your current mile time and what is your goal?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

I'd cut calories harder if you're trying to lose fat. Doing mini-deficits is a great way to end up spinning your wheels, and it'll take forever to lose any appreciable amount of fat. You could lose at more than 2 times that rate without muscle loss (unless you're like 8% BF, then maybe not) if you followed a specific cutting program.

I'd go for 25% below maintenance on off days with high protein, and maintenance or slightly above on carb refeeds and you should be fine.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

What types of foods are you eating? I think you will see greater gains with high quality foods and balanced macros.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
It is better to start off with less and add as needed. I learned the hard way recently when I was on a calorie deficit, working out 4 days a week, and playing soccer. When on a cut, 3 days a week strength training is enough. Use the other two days for the running and tennis. If you join a CrossFit gym, I'd go 3 days a week on non-consecutive days (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday).

What is your current mile time and what is your goal?
I basically agree but I'd be more apt to run 2x week, strength train 2x week and tennis 1x week. Running 1x week is not going to do anything, where as strength training 2x should be good enough stimulus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
I'd cut calories harder if you're trying to lose fat. Doing mini-deficits is a great way to end up spinning your wheels, and it'll take forever to lose any appreciable amount of fat. You could lose at more than 2 times that rate without muscle loss (unless you're like 8% BF, then maybe not) if you followed a specific cutting program.

I'd go for 25% below maintenance on off days with high protein, and maintenance or slightly above on carb refeeds and you should be fine.
Hear you and would agree, if fat loss was my main priority. But as it isn't I wouldn't want to not run. And I couldn't run and play tennis at a 25% deficit, I feel. I've messed around with leangains before with just a few large 1000 cal deficits a week and maintaining a high activity level the other days, but didn't get anywhere.

Granted I was thinkning of doing a 25-30% deficit for a month and cutting back on everything except weight training, but it's like suicide.
Tracking a 300cal deficit accurately is tricky which goes towards the last answer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
What types of foods are you eating? I think you will see greater gains with high quality foods and balanced macros.
I do agree. I generally eat high quality foods, very little junk.

Dinner: Home made meals. Don't eat out much. Lean meat 3-4x week, fish 1-2x, maybe a few veggie meals, beans. Buckwheat/quinoa. Salad. Rice, pasta noodles. Some veggies but not every day. No soda or candy.

Lunch: Varies. Leftovers. Tuna. Salmon. Beans. Fiber crackers. Cottage cheese.

Breakfast: Occassionally fresh juice for breakfast. Cereal with milk/fruit maybe 5x/week; pancakes, waffles other days.

Whey supplement maybe 25-35g protein per day.

Probably eat around 20-25% protein, 55-65% carb and 20-25% fat calories.
Oh, and alcohol maybe 3-4%, but not every week.

So really if I increased the veggies, decreased the starches and skipped dessert more often, I would probably knock out 300 cals a day.

However, would want to keep carbs up to 50%.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Correction: breakfast has a few scrabled eggs w extra whites a 2x a week, oatmeal 1-2x, cereal 2-3x, pancakes, waffles or blintzes 1x usually.

Snacks - few healthy / day (fruit, few nuts, cottage)

Supplements include whey, fish oil, vitamin D, HMB (trying - seems good to me)

Last edited by Larry Bruce : 06-24-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Should have said up front, wondering if the above would be more effective achieving the stated goals, or if joining a crossfit gym would and following their pseudo-random programming 3-4x week for 10 weeks would be, tennis excepted?
i don't either of these options is best for your goals. also, what is your goal more specific in terms of mile, i.e, what is your current time and what is your goal time? regardless i would advise at least one heavy lifting day for lower body.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i don't either of these options is best for your goals. also, what is your goal more specific in terms of mile, i.e, what is your current time and what is your goal time? regardless i would advise at least one heavy lifting day for lower body.
Actually Andrew, I didn't ask what the best is. I asked which might be better?

I'm not interested in doing heavy lifting at this time, squats or deadlifts. I would consider lighter more explosive lifting, walking lunges, etc.
Heavy lifting fries my inner thighs and/or lower back and leaves them useless for several days, and that won't work at this time.
But thanks for the thought.

Would estimate mile time as 7:30 but it was on a treadmill (1.5% grade). Need to do a track test to say for sure.
As much improvement as possible is desired, but say 7 minute for the sake of having a hard number. Keep in mind I'm over 50.
Have been working out in one for or the over 4-5x week for the past 18 months; 3x for several years prior to that.

There really isn't a "best" workout actually. It's what works for an individual, and that will vary. One needs to
attempt, examine results and then modify. I believe there is ample evidence for attempting this type of workout.
But I will hear you out. What would you suggest given the goals and desire to combine them?

Last edited by Larry Bruce : 06-25-2012 at 05:24 PM.