CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
David McKercher

Profile:
More than WOD...

What else do y'all do besides the WOD? I know this has come up before, I read the threads, But i didn't find any substantial answer other than it is enough, or add additional workouts such as the HSPU, rope climbs, GHD etc... But there is no way Khalipa gets to 400lb front squats doing WOD's and GHD situps. there is no way Froning can do 100 75lb push press's without breaking by doing WOD's. So what else are these elite athletes doing? Incorporating Crossfit exercises into there workouts on their own? is their any substantial information on supplementing your workout when you know you should be doing more training? I have not gone one day only doing a WOD, and im starting to feel like i need more direction and structure when i start to build on my program beyond the WOD. any tips? direction? Im basically doing to WOD's a session, and one or two heavy isolation moves to build strength, plus A LOT of working on my OLY lifting form...

Thanks in advance... BTW, New to crossfit, not new to lifting/athletics, best thing i have found yet. Only getting stronger where i was weak, and finding strength where i thought i had plateaued... Loving it. Dead lift and squat have improved by 80lbs where i can now dead and squat 305 for 5 reps with ease, each in less than a two months! I was stagnate with both for two years with other programs. love it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: More than WOD...

Easy--you do programming that fits your specific goals.

If your goals are GPP with minimal time invested, do CF.com and call it a day. If you want to get up to Games-level numbers, you'll have to do some dedicated strength and skill work to supplement your GPP and conditioning.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
David McKercher

Profile:

My goals are to be a beast who can run a mile in under 5 minutes, front kick a man through a wall, and rip a tree out from its roots with my bare hands. Soooo....
I was kind of thinking the same thing as what you said, about the specific training and targeting. I mean, im capable of inserting exercises into my programs after or before a WOD, and i know enough to know what i need to work on. I guess i was looking for a little bit more direction and structure. Been Combining Crossfit.com WOD with workouts from CFFB and Mikes gym, and just listening to my body. I worry though, about incorporating heavy squats into a WOD one day for strength training then getting the WOD for the next day and have it be lower body. I'll keep my eyes open for more info though...
Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McKercher View Post
My goals are to be a beast who can run a mile in under 5 minutes, front kick a man through a wall, and rip a tree out from its roots with my bare hands. Soooo....
I was kind of thinking the same thing as what you said, about the specific training and targeting. I mean, im capable of inserting exercises into my programs after or before a WOD, and i know enough to know what i need to work on. I guess i was looking for a little bit more direction and structure. Been Combining Crossfit.com WOD with workouts from CFFB and Mikes gym, and just listening to my body. I worry though, about incorporating heavy squats into a WOD one day for strength training then getting the WOD for the next day and have it be lower body. I'll keep my eyes open for more info though...
More direction and structure requires more specific goals...no different than if you called me saying you were on I-95 and wanted to know whether you should be going north or south. It would depend on whether you're trying to get to FL or NY. Running a 5 minute mile is a concrete, quantifiable goal...the other two you listed, not really.

Once you've got specific goals, pick a program that addresses them and follow it to the letter. If you want to focus on getting stronger while still doing some conditioning, do something like CFFB's offseason program or 5/3/1 with metcons. If you want to focus on the Oly lifts while still working on conditioning, something like Catalyst Athletics might be the best bet.

The way you address the issue of doing heavy squats one day then having to do 100 air squats the next day is by not doing random programming, or by not mixing and matching two different programs.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
My goals are to be a beast who can run a mile in under 5 minutes, front kick a man through a wall, and rip a tree out from its roots with my bare hands.
Practice running.
Work on your form and leg strength for the front kick. You may have to scale down to kicking children and dogs at first.
Work your way up to trees. You'll probably have to start by pulling weeds, then move on to bushes, and save the tree pulling for max-effort days.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Barry Sheets

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Practice running.
Work on your form and leg strength for the front kick. You may have to scale down to kicking children and dogs at first.
Work your way up to trees. You'll probably have to start by pulling weeds, then move on to bushes, and save the tree pulling for max-effort days.
Awesome!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Jesse Newman-Barnhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Practice running.

Starting in a couple weeks after I finish doing strictly strength work I'll be doing a program that I set up for myself. 3 on 1 off WODs with morning or evening strength work based on whether I'm on duty or not. Every morning will be alternating going for a run or double under work followed by gymnastics skill practice. I'll be checking the main site WOD and if the workout happens to line up with what I would program myself then I'll do that. If not, I'm not too bad at programming for myself. Oh yeah, daily MobilityWOD as well.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
A simple solution to "getting" a WOD the next day that doesn't work well since you did a similar lift the previous day would be to let yourself fall behind the main site WODs by a few days. Then you can see what is coming. I did Sunday's WOD yesterday, and I added a 3x5 bench session to the front squat WOD from Sunday, knowing that there wasn't an upper body push exercise coming in the next few days.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Erik Glynn

Profile:

As a rower, I need to spend more time on the rower.

So, usually 3+ hours before/after the WOD I'll spend about an hour on the rower doing a separate workout (www.crossfitendurance.com has great ideas). Then I'll round off my fitness with the crossfit WOD later.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Simon Skov

Profile:

I have found that doing longer skill/technique training before the WOD works well with the shorter WOD's.
So a WOD like: 5x5 Power Clean would most often start with a long warm up with mobility training and then Clean technique (not only the power clean but working with all of the different lift in that class).
Then the WOD and afterwards some cooldown exercises that would still compliment the WOD.

For the long WOD's (HERO's) I just do a short warm up and then fight to finish.