CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Bent out of shape letter

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, read what the letter says carefully please. It is, you will see, a criticism of all involved. I'm bent.

If you see fit to do so, please send the letter to anyone and everyone you know. It has already been sent to my state's reps ((I suggest you do the same) and to many other folks I know around the country.
================================================

<Moderators note:

Frank's message to his legislators discussed the current economic crisis.

Yeah, it passes as "political" (and hence has been deleted), although only barely so. I'm taking a harder line here, mostly because of where discussion of it would go, rather than the specific content of Frank's message (which was about 99% acceptable).

Look, the ban of political discussion is to have one place where we're NOT badgered by that subject. There are about a billion (give or take a few hundred million) sites on the Web where you can have those discussions. (Heck, you can have that discussion on the CF main page comments, if you want.)

Similarly with religious issues, if you feel the need to talk about your beliefs (or lack of them) in God.

The fundamental philosophy informing this ban is that these choices (particularly religious, but to some degree political) are intensely personal, and, in our experience, not subject to rational discussion. They tend to devolve very quickly into slander, insults, appeals to unverifiable divine sources, and general futility. I have very rarely ever seen a discussion of these points actually change anyone's mind.

It is likewise extraordinarily rare for any such discussions to stay within the AUP: "We require a high level of respect to be shown at all times to other users of the board" (observe the rest-day discussions if you want evidence), and I don't have time to police the resulting discussions carefully.

Folks who want to know what Frank wrote, please send him a PM.

And, lest people believe that the ban on discussion (which I enforce and support, here) implies non-activity: please allow me to encourage everyone to be as involved as possible in the political processes of their community and country. I work about 60-80 hours a week at what amounts to my own business, and I still give very vigorously of my time and money to the candidates and causes I believe in. I'd urge everyone to do the same, and I'd similarly urge people to actually put into action whatever faith(s) they (claim to) hold to.

Moderator out. Sorry, Frank. >>>

Last edited by David Wood : 09-25-2008 at 06:16 AM.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #2
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Re: Bent out of shape letter

I think this falls under political and is therefor a nono? So uncharacteristically I'll behave.

But I have this to offer, I am great with money and real estate. Credit card companies pay me. I have never paid a dime of interest. I made 70 grand in all this mess instead of losing my shirt. I am lucky I have a great job and secure environment (2 homes paid for) but I worked hard to get it. If anybody needs real estate loan help, money management suggestions advice to help straighten your life out financially, all you have to do is ask. I am amazed at my college educated friends that handle their money so poorly. And no I'm not charging, offering services breaking the rules, just offering to help because like you I would like to see people cope with their own mistakes. It can be done.
If my ex (a dolt) can go from owning only a blown up truck he was paying for the third time, to owning two homes and a business mostly from what he learned from me - anybody can do it.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Larry Cook

Profile:

Ya .. political stuff generally a no-no here.

However, Skip Chase has a video on his blog today that I think you should see

http://www.mtbakercrossfit.com/

It is work/family safe, < Larry's next post acknowleges some modest profanity in the clip (thanks, Larry!)>.

Jill, congrats on your situation.

Last edited by David Wood : 09-25-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
Larry Cook

Profile:

Actually, there is some modest profanity in the clip.

Depending on where you are, you may want to plug your head phones in

Closed Thread