CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #21
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Re: I See Old People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Garner View Post
I'd love to swap training strategies with others who are working around age-related hurdles.
I may not be the best person to swap with, but I'll tell you my plan anyway.

I don't want to spend too much time working out, so I've embraced the short CF workouts. I typically work out by myself, and my workouts tend to be in the 10-15 minute range (not including warm-up).

I aim to do CF workouts 2-3 days a week, plus I workout with the affiliate on Saturday mornings. In addition, I'll mix in fun activities like an 8-10 mile bike ride, an ocean swim, or surfing. I'd prefer to just surf twice a week, but the waves, wind, and tides don't always cooperate with my schedule, so it's kind of hit or miss.

I rest whenever I feel like it to avoid burn-out or injury. My wrists are prone to injury, so I often have to back off of doing lots of push-ups or pull-ups.

Avoiding injuries is a main goal. I don't want to get injuries that then prevent me from doing the sports that I love. So, I'm not pushing myself 100%. It's just not worth an injury.

I sound kind of wimpy, I guess. Maybe I am. But, in 2 months, I've lost a few pounds and have lost body fat. And I am not trying to lose weight. In fact, I have to be careful that I don't get too thin. For the first time in my life, I have arm muscles and leg muscles! I feel really strong!

I've also been dialing in my diet...tons of fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, fish, and I just started eating other meats too. Eliminated most of the bread and pasta and rice and other not-great carbs.

I'm sure that if I worked out more, or worked out harder with more weights involved, I'd get even leaner and meaner. But I'm ok on the healthy, yet moderate path I've chosen.

whew...long winded...
Old 10-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
Diane Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Carey View Post
I hear you! There have been some newer folks and yes I am ahead of them for now! Got to keep going! Nancy I am running a 5k on Thanksgiving which I would like to win for my age group.I have been toying with 2cd and 3rd places for a couple of years now.Hopefully all this metcon work will help me run faster!

T
Terry - The metcon work will definitely help you run faster! I ran in my first 5K on July 4 and finished second in my age group (46-50 yo class - me being 49.6 yo). I had been running for fun (speed and distance at my whim, ergo not very fast) but since I took up CF in Oct 2006, the speed just started happening. Oddly enough, I think I was always capable of running faster, but I had this ingrained notion that if I was "winded" while running for distance, I was running too fast. Since CF, I'm accustomed to breathing heavier and faster than I ever have in my life, so running faster has become so much easier. In the July 4 5K, I beat quite a few women who were younger and were race veterans. Needless to say, next year I plan to finish first in my age group, with a goal of finishing in the top 5 of all racers in my age group, including men. Turned 50 last Sunday and feeling fabulous!!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #23
James Russo

Profile:  

Hi guys--turning 41 on Saturday. Been doing crossfit on and off for about 2 years. Right now doing a lot of kettlebell work--swings, clean and press, turk getups, etc.

I was in the best shape of my life in my early 30's doing Mark Delisle's Navy Seal workout and running 3 miles every other day. Got off track of that--I'm thinking of going back to it but keeping the Kb work and maybe trying a little clubbell work too.

Anyway--good luck all.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #24
Terry Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Dennis View Post
Terry - The metcon work will definitely help you run faster! I ran in my first 5K on July 4 and finished second in my age group (46-50 yo class - me being 49.6 yo). I had been running for fun (speed and distance at my whim, ergo not very fast) but since I took up CF in Oct 2006, the speed just started happening. Oddly enough, I think I was always capable of running faster, but I had this ingrained notion that if I was "winded" while running for distance, I was running too fast. Since CF, I'm accustomed to breathing heavier and faster than I ever have in my life, so running faster has become so much easier. In the July 4 5K, I beat quite a few women who were younger and were race veterans. Needless to say, next year I plan to finish first in my age group, with a goal of finishing in the top 5 of all racers in my age group, including men. Turned 50 last Sunday and feeling fabulous!!
Congrats on your 5k! That's awesome! I think I will do better this time as well.I am getting used to going all out for it it in the CF WOD's so I am thinking it will definatly help.I think in this particular race I need to do a 24 or less.My best time ever was a 23:37 but that was years ago and I haven't come really too close to that.

Also Happy Birthday welcome to 50 and fabulous!

T
Old 10-16-2008, 04:25 AM   #25
Brad Thompson

Profile:

Hi all!

I'm 44 next month. Started this in earnest last January.

Before and after pics posted here. (wfs)

Anyone who's middle aged, sedentary and thinks it's too late - it isn't.

I follow the WOD pretty closely. I rest when my body tells me (and it does!) I scale a lot, but am working towards rx'd on many.

3-2-1-GO!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #26
Frank M Needham

Profile:

I'm 54.
I've been a fitness freak most of my life.
I've got problem.
With your help I can deal with it.
It all started when blah blah blah
Whew, I feel so much better now.
Thank you all for letting me share.

Now that I've gotten that over with: I've been doing CF (lots of modified) and SS, switching back and forth for the last two years making steady gains and feeling great. I feel better than I have in years.

For an interesting snapshot on someone that is well beyond anyone's posted age on this board (so far) check this guy out:
http://www.esquire.com/features/don-wildman-0508
Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #27
Peter Queen

Profile:

Hey, I like this thread. I can see from reading all the post that I have lots of kindred spirits. Anyway, I'm 47 and still kicking butt as a volunteer fire fighter. Last month I completed my second duathlon along with my 17 year old.....cool! It feels great to still be able to get around. I can still stand to tighten up a few areas but I can still hang with the youngsters and CF has definately helped to keep me in great shape overall in the past several years. I would have continued to struggle through my usual routines had I not found CF. It has helped me to dramatically recharge my overall fitness and I have not looked back. I get a kick out of seeing my daughters faces and comments when they see that I can still run and jump around like a 20 something. They definately see a big difference between me and their friends dads.
It's funny how my kids complain about getting up at 6am for school...6..."Ha, you don't know what early is!" I say. By the time they get up, I have already run 2 miles, got in my CF workout for the day, showered and dressed for work...sweet!

Keep up the good work everybody...you are all very inspiring.

Age is just a number!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #28
Bill Pontius

Profile:

Can't resist! I came across this slide show on aging runners this morning and it's inspirational--at least to me. Hope you all enjoy it!

http://masterstrack.com/blog/002848.htm

( Oops--Sorry--the link's not working. Go to masterstrack.com and click on the blog. Video should appear near the top.I think it's worth it. --Bill)

Last edited by Bill Pontius : 10-16-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #29
Marc Tower

Profile:

I'll jump in on this thread!

I'm 48 and have been CF'ing for a little over six months. So far I'm trading fat for muscle at a 3/1 ratio - I've lost 21lbs of unsightly fat and put on 7 solid pounds. I'll take that any day of the week.

I train at an affiliate 4 days a week when I'm not traveling and try to run (3-5 miles) 2 days. Sometimes I only run one day. Sometimes none.

Traveling is challenging, but I have had the opportunity to visit affiliates for WOD's, which has been fun.

I have been a runner on and off forever and I'm really enjoying the strength work.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #30
James Reynolds

Profile:

I'm "only" 35, but a life of football, jumping out of planes in the middle of the night for Uncle Sam, and racing motocross, I always have a sore joint somewhere. Iíve hung up my combat boots and motocross helmet, but the toll they took is another story.

-My Achilles tendons are usually sore/tight every morning when I wake up, and have been for years. Stretching, PT, Motrin Ė nothing has really worked. They are ok after a few hours, so I go to my affiliate in the afternoon.

-I wake up some days with no knee pain, yet sometimes itís there and feels sprained for a week or two. No idea what causes it, or what makes it go away besides time.

-My left ankle has less flexibility than the right. If Iím sitting, feet flat on the floor, with heels on the ground, my right toes can nearly double the distance from the floor as my left, with no pain. Left side, my ankle hurts at the 10 oíclock (if my toes are 12) in a very acute place. I wish I knew WHY this is the case.

Thereís more from time to time, but I just keep on keeping onÖ