CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Alexis Troianos

Profile:
Sticking Point - Back Squat

I'm trying to improve my 1RM on my back squat and having real trouble with my sticking point. I can't get out of it for the life of me! I think it's partially psychological (I'm afraid of bailing?) and partially technical.

I know everyone has different issues and it'll be hard to critique this, but just looking for some general pointers.... I'm getting stuck at the just before parallel point. I feel like I get on my toes and then this fear of buckling just screws me up.

Thanks for any pointers!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: Sticking Point - Back Squat

You should post a video for us to see and critique otherwise we're kind of taking a shot in the dark.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Alex Romero

Profile:

Just curious, what's your fear of bailing? I can see it being a concern if you're using metal plates and aren't in a squat cage, but if you're using bumpers in an open space then what makes you think you can't bail out safely?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Romero View Post
if you're using bumpers in an open space then what makes you think you can't bail out safely?
This is EXTREMELY unsafe. I know lots of people do it but think of the worst case scenario if things don't go as "planned." We are talking catastrophic here.

If he is already possible mental about bailing out and then you combine that with "getting on the toes and fear of buckling" then this means he is weak in his core - possibly because of an actual weak core but also breathing/tightness (or both.) As for posture, he is leaning forward and his head is moving towards the floor.

The only time it is safe to Back Squat at weights where there is a chance of failure without safety bars/in a rack is if you are in control of your body enough that you can try and stand up and simply squat back down if you fail. Then you just throw the bar off your back, jump or shift forward and no harm, no foul. O-lifters do it all the time and so do Crossfitters I know but I've seen many push to failure (weight or rep) and instinct kicks in. Hips drive, butt drives into the air and the leverage point puts the bar in a "point of no return." You aren't "bailing" out of that one.

Otherwise, I've seen it too many times and was thankful for safety bars. A failed Squat with excessive forward lean or due to core strength/tightness means the bar just comes down on you...and your neck..

Morale of the story. Keep at it, post video and take the advice and just keep grinding away but know you have safety bars to catch your mistake/failed rep. It does wonders for the mental comfort thing if you know you have a back-up.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Keep in mind just coming out of the hole is a common sticking point. Your turning around the weight that's going down and just got it moving up.

Sometimes this is a sticking point, but we'd need to see what it looks like. If your mechanics are good and this is where you get stuck it might mean you just need to get stronger all around in this lift.

So if you are tipped way forward, may be a core issue. But if you abs are locked in, back neutral and hips below you supporting you it just might be needing the time under the bar and consistent work.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You can try squatting off pins or negatives to dropping it on the safety bars as well.

Another would be just overloading the bar with beyond your max BS and doing partials. Supercompensation.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:08 AM   #7
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Another tool to put in your arsenal is to just reduce the weight and practice bailing out and dumping it. Learn what it feels like to need to bail and gain confidence you can do so if it becomes necessary when you are actually about to fail. If you practice it then it is not hard to bail even if the weight starts to move forward on you some--just make sure you don't wait too long.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #8
Alexis Troianos

Profile:

Thanks for the pointers guys! My coach has had me practice bailing with lighter weight as he is confident that my form is good. He also suggested working on partial squats: starting at my sticking point and going up from there. I'll get a video on here soon and see what you have to say then.

Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Post vid to help you better.