CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
So I've been practicing my Clean and have finally figured out that the bar actually comes in contact with the thigh at the "explosion point". I practiced extensively today and my thighs are going to be mighty bruised tomorrow. This normal?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Matt Schwartz

Profile:

It's been normal for me but I'm no expert.
Matt
Old 01-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
It doesn't happen to me, but then my second pull is weak; my hang clean pull is lagging behind my clean pull from the floor. Here is one good thread on bruises and o-lifts:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/2229.html

Maybe some of the real OL guys will chime in to deliver a verdict on this.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The bar should brush the thighs, not bruise them. Some lifters will have more contact than others, but have someone watch the bar path from the side. If you get a big loop at the top of the "S" shaped bar path with the bar going forward of the starting position, then you are swinging the bar. Too much horizontal hip movement into the bar, probably due to early knee extension/late hip extension.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
chris muscarella

Profile:

Curious. A lot of the more 'old-school' o-lifting coaches I've spoken with (think American and coming up in the 50s and 60s) really emphasize the double-dip and some contact with the bar at the hip.

Some of the younger guys don't even really mention it all. Anybody else have a similar experience?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
That would be odd, since more lifters back in the day used a single knee bend due to the rule prohibiting contact with the thighs. (Changed in the early '60s, I believe.)

But you can't coach a lifter to think about the double knee bend. As soon as he starts thinking, bad things happen. It has to come more naturally than consciously thinking about rebending the knees.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
chris muscarella

Profile:

Lincoln, I think I may be a little off in my history and that the people who really emphasized the double knee bend--that I've spoken to--aren't really old enough to have been lifting in the 50s. The late 60s and 70s would be more accurate.

What is your take on the double knee bend?

Mine is not very pronounced, but the way it was always described to me and the way I experience it the bar would sort of hitch on the thigh just before the second pull and pop up--not slam during the second pull.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
lisa taylor

Profile:
Re: The Clean and bruises

Old thread, I know. But I figgured it would be more appropriate than starting a new one.

I did Power Cleans for the first time on the 5th. Yesterday I noticed some bruising on my chest just below the collar bones. I'm told bruising with power cleans is normal, and mine are not particularly painful but....

1: There are two bruises, right and left, below the collar bones and towards the center of my chest.

2: The one on the left is noticably larger and more distinct than the one on the right.

I was going pretty light (55-85lbs, I weigh 170).

Is there a known problem in form associated with this, or is it just 'one of those things'?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

This will happen if your elbows aren't pushed up enough for the weight to land on your shoulders. Elbows up, upper arm should be parallel with the ground for the catch, then the only point of impact is shoulders. Maybe shoulders will bruise (less likely), but it shouldn't be your chest.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Ryan Norman

Profile:

I bruise my chest sometimes too. Like Aaron said, it is because the elbows aren't high enough. That has always been a big problem for me. It not only leaves my chest bruised, but hurts my wrists and does not allow me to go as heavy as I otherwise would be able to.