CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
I often go fairly heavy on back squats (my new PR is 445, and I'm working toward 500). I've noticed a problem that I often have that I've never seen mentioned before. The area where the bar rests on my back and shoulders, just below the base of my neck, gets very sore. Occasionally I even get visible bruising there.

I've tried the padded sleeves that some people wrap around the bar, but at least the last time I used one of those I felt like it took away some of my control over the bar. And when I have 400+ pounds balanced on my back control is something I place a pretty high premium on.

I can live with this - it's more annoying than anything else - but is there a better way?
Old 01-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Paul,

When I first started lifting (and had no traps) I tried everything I could think of to reduce the pain of heavy squatting - the padded sleeve, Manta Ray, multiple sweatshirts and towels - and you are right, each one took away some degree of bar control.

During my competitive powerlifting years, I lived with skin tears and bruising where the bar rested on my back. Since I couldn't compete with any padding, I didn't use any.

Ironmind has a cambered Buffalo Bar that helps distribute the bar weight more evenly across your back and shoulders (and takes some of the stress out of your shoulders and wrists); some folks have said it helps reduce bruising. I have an ancient standard plate Buffalo Bar - it does reduce wear and tear on my joints, but I still tear and bruise. I just have wimpy skin.

My answer would be to enjoy the battle scars - not everyone has the desire to overcome and endure!

Old 01-23-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Thanks, Kelly. I had a feeling the answer was likely to be "tough it out."