CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Ron Murray

Profile:
telephone solutions?

Outside of ordering a land-line or actually listing personal cellphone numbers, what are some of you guys doing for phone call handling?

I was looking into Ring Central, I like the idea of obtaining a vanity number and having it forwarded to two or three cell phones I already have, but the pricing plan has me a bit confused and worried about minutes usage.Plus there are a lot of features I just wont need.

Any suggestion insight or alternatives?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: telephone solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Murray View Post
Outside of ordering a land-line or actually listing personal cellphone numbers, what are some of you guys doing for phone call handling?

I was looking into Ring Central, I like the idea of obtaining a vanity number and having it forwarded to two or three cell phones I already have, but the pricing plan has me a bit confused and worried about minutes usage.Plus there are a lot of features I just wont need.

Any suggestion insight or alternatives?

If it's a business, treat it as such...it comes with expenses. Keep them low, but know where to cut them. You could probably get a package with phone, internet for under $300. We have 2 lines w/ 2 rollover lines and a fax line. You don't need all that to start, but you NEED an easy convenient way for people interested to contact you.

I give my cell phone out to anyone too, but I want a land line.

What if you lose the cell phone, or you're in an area with bad service while on a call in which they thought you were talking to them on your landline at your business?
What if you decide to change your cell #, carrier? You wouldn't be able to forward calls from one to the other, and all your previous marketing with your phone number wouldn't do you any good.

My 2c...get a land line, find somewhere else to save alittle money.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Ron Murray

Profile:

I appreciate the view point Brian, thank you. To rephrase, I'm not looking to be cheap, I'm just not looking to spend $300 a month on a full bore business phone setup that I wont need. I really only need a number, good VM and some rollover/forwarding to additional numbers as to NOT miss that important call. I just want to ensure that I am getting what I need and none of the frill I don't.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Jonathan Kinnick

Profile:

Ron,
Have you looked into Google Voice?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kinnick View Post
Ron,
Have you looked into Google Voice?
no, I haven't. Work pretty well to accomplish rollover to additional lines? I know their VM services and call-handling work well. I might check into that, thanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Didn't mean for it to come across like that. I know there are several options that are pretty cheap, I don't know too many of them.

However, I wouldn't suggest getting a phone system set up through the internet. When your internet is not working, neither is the phone.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Murray View Post
I appreciate the view point Brian, thank you. To rephrase, I'm not looking to be cheap, I'm just not looking to spend $300 a month on a full bore business phone setup that I wont need. I really only need a number, good VM and some rollover/forwarding to additional numbers as to NOT miss that important call. I just want to ensure that I am getting what I need and none of the frill I don't.
All of those services are available with a low-end landline, and landlines still beat both cell and VOIP for both reliability and sound quality.

I would definitely suggest *not* using your personal cell as your main business line. Sometimes you *want* business calls to drop to voice mail.

Katherine
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Didn't mean for it to come across like that. I know there are several options that are pretty cheap, I don't know too many of them.

However, I wouldn't suggest getting a phone system set up through the internet. When your internet is not working, neither is the phone.

no worries at all, I didn't take your reply as acrimonious, I understood you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
All of those services are available with a low-end landline, and landlines still beat both cell and VOIP for both reliability and sound quality.

I would definitely suggest *not* using your personal cell as your main business line. Sometimes you *want* business calls to drop to voice mail.

Katherine
I haven't had land-line service in so long (or ever with regards to business) so I will do some checking with them on their features.

muchas gracias.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
John Michael Jones

Profile:

We use Google Voice - you select a phone number for the business, and calls to that number can be forwarded to any number you want. You can choose to have google voice manage your voicemail or let your normal provider manage it, either way it's been very reliable for us and is a free service. I would start there and change if/when you need to - we have ~200 members and still only get 1-3 calls per day, 95% of our prospective and current member communications are via email.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Good use of the word "acrimonious." We don't use it enough.
+1 for google voice. It has easy simple call forwarding and voice mail. Unsure of how fax works with it, but I'm sure Google has found a way.....