CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Stephen Flamm

Profile:
Level 2 Certification

I'm considering signing up for the next Level II Cert available, at CF One World at the beginning of September. I have been CFing for a full year, received my Level I at the end of March, and have been training others with the CF movements/protocol for about 6 months (this has only been very part-time, though, as I was predominantly coaching a small group of friends while working elsewhere). I have been approved for affiliation, and I am planning on opening my doors in late September.

Essentially, I'm wondering if I should do the L II Cert now to further solidify my CF knowledge and experience, or if I should wait until my doors have been open for a few months and I gain even more hands-on training and affiliate/business experience. I feel that I'm ready, but I'd like to hear from others who have experienced the L II, at what stage in their CF life they attended, and whether they wish they could have gone sooner or later.

Last edited by Stephen Flamm : 07-23-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Adam Head

Profile:
Re: Level 2 Certification

From what I hear, the level 2 has a very high failure rate. Don't know if that's true or not. But, if you have any question concerning your ability to take a group of inexperienced crossfitters and teach them the 9 basic movements, or be able to explain the principles of CrossFit to somebody who doesn't know anything about it, I would say wait a while and get more experience.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Tom Brose

Profile:

Go now!

The pass rate is not that high because they have set a very high standard. If you are only in it to be able to say you are Level 2, then don't go (actually ever, because you would be missing the point). I'll assume thats not the case though.

At the Level 2 you will be put on the spot, and you will need to be confident and precise. What you will get is very detailed feedback on your strengths as well as weak points, and an idea of how to progress. It will make you a better trainer immediately, and help you on the path to excellence. I went to the Level 2 in VA beach last spring, and got great feedback, both complimentary and critical. I passed, and feel its WAY more legit than being L2 just because I had assisted at other certs. Actually more than half of the class I was in did NOT pass, yet I believe walked away encouraged. One of my friends didn't pass, but thought it was worthwhile. He was not that experienced at teaching a group, but has improved hugely after the experience.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
Adrian Bozman

Profile:

Big +1 to eveything Tom just said.

If you are attending the L2 for the piece of paper at the end, it probably isn't the course for you (ever). If you are attending because you genuinely want to up your coaching game, then you are ready anytime!

-Boz
Old 07-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Can't wait to attend one. After Rip's and Robb Wolf's in september - will be shooting to sign up for one in oct-november. Very excited!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Cris Miller

Profile:

Stephan-
I'm in a similar boat. I've been CFing for 13 months and got my Level 1 in September of 07. I was out of the country for 6 months but was able to do CF by myself. Since I've been back I've hooked up with a local affiliate and am training all fitness levels but it hasn't been long. I just registered yesterday for the Level 2 in September! I say DO IT because Level 2s are fewer and fill up fast. Whatever happens you know you'll benefit! Hope to see you in CA in September! Until then I'm buried in the journals and Starting Strength...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brose View Post
Go now!

The pass rate is not that high because they have set a very high standard. If you are only in it to be able to say you are Level 2, then don't go (actually ever, because you would be missing the point). I'll assume thats not the case though.

At the Level 2 you will be put on the spot, and you will need to be confident and precise. What you will get is very detailed feedback on your strengths as well as weak points, and an idea of how to progress. It will make you a better trainer immediately, and help you on the path to excellence. I went to the Level 2 in VA beach last spring, and got great feedback, both complimentary and critical. I passed, and feel its WAY more legit than being L2 just because I had assisted at other certs. Actually more than half of the class I was in did NOT pass, yet I believe walked away encouraged. One of my friends didn't pass, but thought it was worthwhile. He was not that experienced at teaching a group, but has improved hugely after the experience.
Well said Tom,

Even if you do not pass, the feedback you will gain regarding your strengths and weaknesses will be well worth it.

DO IT NOW!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Thank you all for the guidance and push; I'm doing this improve my skills, not for the actual paper certificate, so I think the answer is clear. Looking for flight info now...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Cris,

Another Level II just appeared in September, also at Union City. Which one are you doing?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Cris Miller

Profile:

Stephan,
I registered for Sept 4 and 5. Any gouge on where to stay? I still haven't booked my flight but will soon. I emailed Freddy C. @ Crossfit One World to get some info and I'll pass it on to you if I hear anything.
Cris