CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-18-2003, 11:19 AM   #1
wells

Profile:  
Hello everyone, over the past month and half my experience with paleo eating has been nothing short of amazing. I'm down to 190 lbs, started off at 205 or so. I don't think I've lost any muscle(at least I hope not!). At first I started pretty simply, but I've kept reading alot of material on different foods, vitamins, etc.. and I have run across a few perplexing things that hopefully some of you could shed some light on.

My first question regards grass-fed meat. I take a cod-fish oil supplement, but in order to get to the 2:1 or 1:1 ratio that we evidently evolved eating, I figure eating as much "natural" meat is the best way to go. There is a pretty large natural foods grocery store near me(called "whole foods" in case anyone has one near them) and I can find the range-fed meat there. The bad thing is that the beef there is only range fed for 2/3 of its life(i guess 2/3 is better than nothing). Would that 1/3 of its life make a bit deal, or do you think that is the time they fatten the beef right before they slaughter it? The range-fed chicken there is rediculously expensive, so I stay away from it. They have completely range fed lamb and pork there, and I buy it in the ground form(like ground beef) and just make pork and lambburgers with it. Are range fed pork and lamb just as good for you as range fed chicken and beef? if not, does anyone know what the differences are?
My next question is about multi-vitamins. I have no idea if I get enough vitamins+minerals, so I try to take a multi-vitamin every day. My multi is an el cheapo brand, however. I remember reading a post that said magnesium was not readily absorbable if it was magnesium oxide, which is what this product contains. If the magnesium isn't in a good form, I'm sure the rest of the minerals aren't in a good form for your body. Can anyone suggest what form other major minerals should be in? My current one has its calcium contained in Dibasic Calcium Phospate, it's pottasium in Pottasium Chloride, also has magnesium stearate although its farther down the list, and has other stuff like manganese sulfate in it. Or could you reccomend a specific brand that has what I'm looking for? I don't want iron in it, since I'm sure I get enough of that(and it becomes toxic), and vitamin A is also not a concern because codfish oil is loaded with it.
My next question regards coconut oil, over at the Weston A. Price site they can't seem to say enough about it. It sounds like a nice addition to ones diet, and if I found some i'd like to use it instead of salad dressing. The problem is I haven't seen coconut oil sold anywhere, anyone have suggestions for where I could find it? I'm not big on mail ordering stuff. Also, is it really as great as they say it is? Loren Cordain's work seemed to show that hunter-gatherers ingested significantly less saturated fat than us, yet the Weston A. Price people say we need to eat more of it. Maybe I misread Loren Cordain's work(forgot which specific article), but I think its just a clash of ideologies, and while coconut oil sounds like a nice addition, I don't know if it really is.
Anyway, sorry for the long post, and thanks so much for any advice given!
-Wells
Old 09-18-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Wells-

Regarding the range fed beef at whole foods...it is far better than most comercial meat but the fatty acid profile is damaged with the grain finishing. All of the nifty stuff like alpha lipoic acid and conjugated linoleic acid are virtually gone. The n3/n6 pool is not idsrupted as quickly. If you are eating fish you will likely be fine in the long run.

If you are eating a good paleo diet you are likely getting adequate vitamins and minerals. If you do suplement dont worry to much about the magnesium oxide...the dietary sources of magnesium will be fine. if you do add Mg make it a chelated form (malate, citrate etc.).

Coconut oil seems to have some amazing properties. It is a saturated fat but it is a medium chain triglyceride so it is transported via the albumin and not LDL thus it does not present the problems other sat fats can have. When you look at the paleo diet it is less the overall amount of sat fat but more the ratio of sat to mono's and pufa's. Spectrum and Omega make some pretty good coconut oils. These companys are available through wholefoods. Tyler knows of a company which has incredibly good coconut oil...only avail via mail however.

I think that is it! If I missed something, let me know.
Robb
Old 09-19-2003, 07:58 PM   #3
wells

Profile:  
Thanks Rob! You know your stuff:-)

Only thing left that I was wondering about is the quality of fully range-fed lamb and pork, which whole foods has, and in the ground form its pretty cost effective. Is the lipid profile for fully range fed lamb and pork good? I would guess yes, but they are not really as commonly eaten as beef and chicken(lamb especially).
I don't eat much fish, because the only mechanism I have to cook with is a george foreman grill, and it doesn't seem like fish would do well in there, although i think I will give it a try now that you mention it. The fish they have in the dining hall at lunch is usually deep fried which I avoid.
Thanks again for such a good response.
-wells
Old 09-20-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
Keith

Profile:

Wells, the Foreman grill works perfectly with fish. Salmon, tuna, swordfish whatever. Obviously whole fish aren't practicle but steaks or fillets are both good.

Keith