CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:
reverse hyperextension

Here's a reference to a "reverse hyperextension" machine that intrigued me -- I don't think I'm familiar with this:

Quote:
#6) Reverse Hyperextensions – The reverse hyperextension machine was made popular in this country by powerlifting guru Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell in Columbus, Ohio. He has a patent on the original reverse hyper model. This is the one we have at our facility and it’s probably the most frequently used machine in our gym. Why is this, you ask? Because the friggin’ thing works! We don’t know of any other machine that works pure hip extension in such a synchronized manner – hitting the hamstrings, glutes, and spinal erectors all during the course of one rep. It also works as traction for the low back during the lowering of the weight. The bottom line is that if you want to run fast and jump high, then you should have one of these in your gym. We can’t say enough about this machine. All of our athletes use it – no matter what their sport, age, or training goal.
From here, WFS: http://www.strengthcats.com/JDfabulous15.htm

Can someone comment on the value of this... dare I say it... machine...

(was it Robb Wolf or one of the Everetts who coined that phrase, "God made machines to keep the losers off the barbells"?)
Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: reverse hyperextension

Kirez,

Search for "reverse hyper" and you'll find several recent threads. Also check out the two threads with "Louie Simmons" that will show up in your reverse hyper search

My YMCA has one and I didn't really know what it was before reading up on Louie Simmons in these threads and his site. SS, 2nd Addition, Rippetoe states "this is one of the few machine exercises that can make a significant contribution to functional back strength". He also points out that it provides a safer alternative to GHR's because the spine is supported by the table, thus it is a very good alternative for rehab.

I've been working them into my SS routine as assistance exercises and really like them.

I've been
Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Thank you, Scott -- apologies for not searching, I realized I'd overlooked that just after I posted (I'd found the link above in a search I was doing on another topic.)
Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirez Reynolds View Post
Thank you, Scott -- apologies for not searching, I realized I'd overlooked that just after I posted (I'd found the link above in a search I was doing on another topic.)
No problem. I wasn't chastising you; I just didn't want to post a half dozen links.