CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
James Darden

Profile:
Frequency of lifts (how often do you do them?)

Prior to Crossfit, I'd back squat on the average of once/week using a 4-week progression where the max was on the 3rd week and the 4th was very light. Now with all the other different movements involved with crossfit and my schedule, I find hard to fit that in. Especially when I'd like to work on Front Squats, OH Squats, Snatch, double unders, burpees etc. Well let's just say everything I can within the limits of a globo gym.

I've been finding that I go for more than a month before I revisit the back squat and other heavy lifts where I do 5x5, 5x3 or 5x1. I've still managed to hit PR loads but it's becoming more of a challenge. Probably due to not hitting them often enough.

I can't train more than once/day. I'm curious how many times per month others do those strength lifts to maintain progress? Any suggestions without me having to be at the gym all night? I like how I can do one heavy lift and a metcon and be out without being there all night like when I was doing 3-4 exercises per body part...yada yada yada.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Frequency of lifts (how often do you do them?)

I used to have a more traditional approach where I did the same core lifts for several months before making changes. This was good for tracking progress, but then things would stall, so I'd mix something up until it stalled again, but then some progress on the previous focuses would be lost.

After coming to Crossfit and at first questioning their constantly varied model and then reading and eventually adapting a Westside/Conjugate model for strength, I feel that it seems a better fit for the body preventing mental stalling with lifts as well as less physical stalling. I think frequent changing might slow the increases in weights down, but in the long run the gains might keep coming longer.

Instead of thinking of specific exercises, I focus more on push/pull/(hips/legs). If my current push/pull/(hips/legs) are going up, then overall my strength is going up and hopefully it will transfer to other lifts. Basically, I have 4 strength days--Lower Body Max Effor/Upper Body Max Effort/Dynamic Lower Body and Dynamic Upper Body. In addition I due 3-5 metcons a week.

I change main exercises on the max effort days every 1-3 weeks and change the dynamic exercises every 3-4 weeks. For lower body it might be each for 1-2 weeks: squat/trap bar deadlift/front squat/higher rep squat/deadlift

My initial fear with adapting this type of program is that I'd lose the groove on lifts, this has not occured and I'd say I feel more fresh with exercises then when you get towards the end of a cycle where you were doing the same lifts for several weeks/months.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

train a strength lift before your metcon
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you want to keep getting stronger once a month won't cut it as soon as you pass complete novice phase. You'll need to be lifting heavy several times a week. These don't have to be dedicated strength workouts--they can just be a 3x5 or something similar before your conditioning workout, like Veronica said. There are plenty of programs where you can hit the major lifts once or twice a week each in addition to doing CF-style conditioning workouts.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Vince Mannella

Profile:

I pick a major lift (front squat, back squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, ect) to do a 3x5 before doing a metcon. I try to vary it and end up hitting squats at least once a week. Not ideal but not horrible.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Before I effed up my back, I'd do a heavy lift 4-5x a week before whatever metcon was being done at our box that day.

With my back out of commission for a while, I bench press and do weighted pullups about 4 times a week. Yes, I'm an involuntary meathead.

That said, in the past 2-3 weeks, my bench has gone from 225# to 285# and my weighted pullup went from 85# to 135#. I'm 170#, for the record.

No, I don't recommend doing any lift that many times a week but I must admit, I'm very satisfied with the results, even if they're kind of against my will. Getting both those lifts up that much will help me out in some way when I can get back to regular lifting... hopefully... maybe wishful thinking... I don't really care. =]
Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Currently back squat 2 times a week, although I will occasionally swap one of these for a front squat. I power clean and dead lift heavy once a week. 3-5 met cons in addition. On squat days I keep the met cons under 12min.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
With my back out of commission for a while, I bench press and do weighted pullups about 4 times a week. Yes, I'm an involuntary meathead.

consider balancing horizontal push with horizontal pull and vertical pull with vertical push, if that's possible.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
Currently back squat 2 times a week, although I will occasionally swap one of these for a front squat. I power clean and dead lift heavy once a week. 3-5 met cons in addition. On squat days I keep the met cons under 12min.
Ian, do you mean you do PC & DL heavy once a week, each? or one of them once a week?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
Harish Shetty

Profile:

I do wsb 3 day split . with 2 days of xfit wod, but have to be very careful what movements i pick as i dont want it to hinder in my next strength day training.

even one can do strength training n follow it by small met-con.

robert how do u manage 4-5 metcon bro ?????