CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-04-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
Michael A. Malloy

Profile:  
We have a Versa Climber and a pool. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Do you have a barbell?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:57 PM   #3
Michael A. Malloy

Profile:  
Yep, we also have a seated row machine. The WOD for tommorow is 2000m row, feed me some ideas. Mike
Old 03-04-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Michael,

I've done high pulls with just the bar as an equivalent for rowing in past workouts (this may be what Lincoln is alluding to). IMO, it approximates a rowing machine pretty closely. Works the shoulders more, and maybe the abs slightly less.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 03-05-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
Mike Sasin

Profile:

So what would be the high pull equivalent of a 2 km row? In addition to a barbell, I have all sorts of kettlebells and I also have a treadmill if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Kris Freeman

Profile:
I've never thought about alternatives before, but if you could get some kind of band or tubing try using that. I envision anchoring the tubing to something sturdy, like a squat rack, and place your feet against something like they would be anchored while rowing. You could put a skateboard or anything that rolls under you to sit on to replicate the sliding part of rowing.
I would guess you would continue this for about 8-9 minutes, that seems about the average time for most crossfitters to do a 2K.
Somebody's mentioned something similar to this before I think for a homemade rower.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:44 PM   #7
Mike Sasin

Profile:

Kris,

Thanks. I was thinking of the same thing - just go 8-9 minutes, which seems to be the average time for most people. I think I'll go with the high pull option since I enjoy doing Olympic lifts and their variations.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:11 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I think 8 to 9 minutes of ANY aerobic activity is RXed for subsitution for 8 - 9 minutes of rowing. I think the trick is, figure out the time it takes to complete the prescribed activity and complete the same amount of time on your alternate method. So try to kill yourself on the versaclimber for about 8:30 and you should be good.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:40 AM   #9
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I had a coach in college who anchored some rubber tubing to the walls attached a handle and sat on a skateboard. Your mind is the limit any of these substitutes will do. Just remember to work hard, none of this is supposed to "feel good".
Old 03-06-2004, 10:03 AM   #10
Craig Nelson

Profile:  
I have taken much the same tack as Larry: often when the WOD calls for rowing, I do four legged travel--lizard crawls, crab walks, bear walks. I think these are at least as good whole body exercises as rowing, and are actually far more different from the barbell/etc exercises than is rowing. Far less expensive, too.