CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Ken Mindoro

Profile:
Hi, I am just barely starting crossfit and am very interested in taking the blackbox ME approach. I have a free gym membership through my wife's work and would like to continue using it. I don't have a garage for an olympic weight set/bumper plates. Deadlifts and squats will be no problem, but I have no where to do the olympic lifts. What exercises would you guys suggest I do in place of the olympic lifts? I basically can't do any exercises that would require me to dump the weight on the floor.

I know that any other exercise substitutions will not be optimal but currently can't afford to pay for a crossfit membership.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I say dump the weights and apologize afterwards ;) Seriously though, you can get away with doing all of the Oly lifts without dumping if you dont go all the way up to a really heavy set that you might have to dump. That is a downside but at least you can do the movements. I did the oly lifts at the LA Fat gym and although I did have to dump a couple of times, it happened infrequently enough to not be a problem.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Jerry Berg

Profile:

If you're worried about losing the weight, you could always break up the lifts into different sections.

i.e. DLs, front squat, hang cleans/power cleans, push press/jerk and overhead squats.

i don't have enough rubber weight at home to really challenge myself with the oly lifts, so i do what i have at home, making sure to work on form/technique and then do the lifts i listed above with iron in the gym.

now granted, by taking a segmented approach in lift, you'll miss out on some of the benefits of the oly lifts, but all in all it's way better than not doing them at all.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Chris Honnon

Profile:
I haven't had to dump yet, it will be interesting to see what the reaction is when the day comes that I have to. There are no bumper plates in the house, just 110% steel hitting the floor. Gonna be loud!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
What Jerry and Nick said.