CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Michael Kelley

Profile:
Frustrating Programming

I used to work out at a box that was basically perfect. Great trainers, space, gear, and fellow clients. The programming was great, especially in that there was a heavy lift just about every day for 3/4 weeks, with 1/4 being a deload week with longer WODs. I bought a house and moved, and the nearby box is smaller, with less gear, a bit of an awkward space, and their "strength" program is bizarre. Two days out of five it consists of things like rope climbs and L-sits, or perhaps handstand holds. The other three weekdays are lifts, but they seem to be some variation on the snatch over 50% of the time. When I've mentioned the desire to do heavy lifts, I've been referred to their evening lift/competition classes that are offered two nights a week, run for about 2.5 to 3 hours, and are there because "crossfitters aren't strong enough to compete." Am I crazy in thinking this is an out of whack way to program? The box I came from was making people STRONG along with promoting all the other aspects of fitness crossfit promotes. This box just seems...well, odd. Am I missing the point?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:
Re: Frustrating Programming

If the box doesn't fit your needs find a new one, get a home gym, or join a globo and do ypur own thing.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Sounds really frustrating. I'd definitely check out other boxes in the area. Or you could approach them again and suggest you can come early or later to do lifts similar to your old program then join in for the WODs. But based on the tone of your orginal post, it sounds like they aren't very flexible.

If you got a rack and some weights, you could strength train at home and do WODs at the box, if there are no other boxes in your area.

As Daniel suggested, you can always train on your own, but working in a group can help in many ways too, hence my other suggestions.

Interested as to what their philosophy on a 2.5hour "weight" session twice a week does for you.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post

Interested as to what their philosophy on a 2.5hour "weight" session twice a week does for you.
Ya that's what I'm wondering as well.

I mean an o-lift session can go for a while, but I can't imagine a cf box putting a large group through something like that twice a week.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Are you not allowed to do your own training? Do you have to train in their groups?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Ben Norris

Profile:

Here is what I would do. Build your own garage gym. That way if you wake up and say to yourself "you know what I dont want to do L-Sit holds I want to deadlift" well you can go to your garage and do some deadlifting!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
Elizabeth Ruiz

Profile:

Is there another box in the area that you can try?

I have to agree with everyone else, if you want to lift heavy purchase some bumpers and a bar. Its one of the best purchases you can make.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I wouldn't go to a gym with that type of programming. Either find a different box, go to the globo (I went tonight), or start building your gym.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Mike Bolton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I wouldn't go to a gym with that type of programming. Either find a different box, go to the globo (I went tonight), or start building your gym.
This. In a few months you can put together a nice setup.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Yeah, I kind of figured that the home gym would be the best answer. I think that process will begin in December. The thing that has held me back from that is simply the initial investment (and I'll get over that) and that I want access to someone I can check in with to clean up my O-lifting form from time to time. I think I've figured that out as well. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't the one with an out of whack point of view on this.