CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
Oly lifting coach

From what I've seen numerous people on these boards say, it seems like everyone who is serious about olifting has a coach.
However I'm going to college in a month and will train at my universities gym ( has bumpers and platforms)), so I won't be able to meet with a coach.

That being said does anyone know any online coaches that can design an olifting program for me. ( Greg everrett charges 500 for 4 weeks), but imlooking for something cheaper.

If not can anyone point me in the direction of a good pre made plan. I saw the Queensland weighting programs which seemed alright, but I'm not preping for comp and I feel like if I do a 12 week cycle my 1rm during the first week may not be sufficient enough to ellict gains during the ,say 7th ish, week due to gains over the course of the program.

Sorry for wordiness, and any responses from experienced olifters or coaches would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:
Re: Oly lifting coach

Look at some of the cyles on http://performancemenu.com (wfs)

http://performancemenu.com/daily/cycles.php (wfs)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Renee Lee

Profile:

dr. hartman has an 8 week comp prep program for free on his website.

http://www.doctorhartmanblog.com/p/f...ng-course.html (sfw)

Glenn Pendlay has beginner templates on his forums.

http://www.pendlay.com/A-Training-Sy...ers_df_90.html (sfw)

Besides that, check out catalyst athletics' cycles from http://performancemenu.com/ (sfw, though it may be blocked)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
dr. hartman has an 8 week comp prep program for free on his website.

http://www.doctorhartmanblog.com/p/f...ng-course.html (sfw)

Glenn Pendlay has beginner templates on his forums.

http://www.pendlay.com/A-Training-Sy...ers_df_90.html (sfw)

Besides that, check out catalyst athletics' cycles from http://performancemenu.com/ (sfw, though it may be blocked)
Renee, im interested in the dr.hartman program you posted(just read about it). however i just signed up for it and the link his site sent with the program download won't open on my computer.
would it be possible if you can copy/paste the program in a pm to me please?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Dave Hancock

Profile:

The link is to a pdf file. I don't know that it can be cut and pasted.

Do you have a google account and are you signed in? I was able to get to the file after signing into my google account.

Last edited by Dave Hancock; 08-01-2011 at 08:23 AM..
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
However I'm going to college in a month and will train at my universities gym ( has bumpers and platforms)), so I won't be able to meet with a coach.
University gyms usually have coaches. Have you researched what might be available to you when you go to school? Somebody is teaching those student athletes how to use those platforms and bumper plates.

As far as programing goes don't over think it. Use any of the mentioned beginner programs for 8 to 12 weeks and you will have a much better understanding of what you need to work on.

Beginners make the mistake of over thinking their first program. The time for heavy thinking is later. Right now you just need something simple you can understand and follow.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
University gyms usually have coaches. Have you researched what might be available to you when you go to school? Somebody is teaching those student athletes how to use those platforms and bumper plates.

As far as programing goes don't over think it. Use any of the mentioned beginner programs for 8 to 12 weeks and you will have a much better understanding of what you need to work on.

Beginners make the mistake of over thinking their first program. The time for heavy thinking is later. Right now you just need something simple you can understand and follow.
This.

Given your current situation the specific program you follow is about 1% as important as getting your technique nailed down from the beginning. A personalized program would be a waste of money since any novice OLing program will have you doing essentially the same things--working reps at particular percentages of your 1RMs along with heavy squatting and pulling to get stronger, which will benefit you quite a bit based on the numbers you posted in your other threads.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

your right eric, ill deff forgo getting a custom plan until I've exhausted all other options/ gained more experience.

for now i think that dr. hartman program fits all the criteria I've wanted for the most part so ill try it out.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Robert Schenck

Profile:

Without a coach, you simply will not be successful.

The lifts are technically too difficult and complex to learn by yourself, and you need an experienced outside observer.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

i learned the lifts from a coach already. but i can't train with one. I'm confident enough in my form (have videoed a lot of sessions and sent them to the coach to get form checks) that i can train on my own.
and I'm sure i can do fine without a coach for now