CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston

Profile:
Vibrams Five Fingers

I just bought my first pair of Vibram Five Finger Bikilas after I saw a personal trainer wearing them last week in a crossfit class. I love them! I ran for the first time with them about 1 1/2 miles ( ok, let me clarify run/walk) and I expected to be sore in the ankles but I wasn't. I decided to buy them because I was looking to get shoes that I could use for crossfit and work. I am on my feet most of the day and my feet (particularly my heels) get sore at the end of the day. I'm always wishing that I could take my shoes off and work barefoot!

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Vibram models?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Jeff Rice

Profile:
Re: Vibrams Five Fingers

I have several pair and have been wearing them for a little over a year now. I have Classics, KSO, KSO Trek, and Bikilas. Really like them all, but I have to say that I like the Bikilas the best. Extremely comfortable and they just seem to "hug" your foot the best. I wear the Bikilas for all running and I wear the KSOs for CrossFit WODs.

Not sure if any of that is helpful, or what you were looking for. If you have any specific questions, let me know!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston

Profile:

I'm curious if anyone wears them for anything other than working out, (not talking about a fashion statement) but for work. Are they designed for all day wear?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Jeansonne Johnston View Post
I'm curious if anyone wears them for anything other than working out, (not talking about a fashion statement) but for work. Are they designed for all day wear?
I have two pairs Lisa, one for the gym and a pair of Treks that I alternate day to day wear with a pair of vivobarefoot shoes. Aside from the standard comments from co-workers they're great for all day wear.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Robbie Cooper

Profile:

I have 6 pair now and it's almost all I ever wear for every situation that calls for footwear (other than when riding my motorcycles, I always wear my boots, but keep a pair of VFF Classics in my saddle bags to switch into):

Smartwool Classics: what I wear in the office everyday, and usually out and about when shopping, going out to eat, etc.

Classics (2 pair): do all of my non-trail running in my Classics. My favorite pair by far. Wear them for yardwork, walking the dogs, working in the garage, etc. My go to pair, as I can slip them on without using my hands, and much prefer to being as close to barefoot as possible.

KSOs (2 pair) --- My CrossFit shoes. Some running.

KSO Trek Sports --- Most comfortable pair for fitness, and use them for all of my trailruns. Feels less "barefoot" than any of my other pair.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Brian O'Laughlin

Profile:

I'm curious if folks have experienced any variation in running performance when wearing the VFFs (vs 'regular' shoes)? For example, is your 5K time faster or slower?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
John Billone

Profile:

I think wearing mine contributed to the achillies rupture I had while doing box jumps, deadlifts and sprints. The tendon rip happened during box jumps. Maybe a bit of too much too soon. Only symptom I had was a sore achillies when I got up in the morning the odd time.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Jeff Rice

Profile:

@John - Yikes! That really sucks!! You definitely have to ease into using VFF for running. It took me about 3-4 months to get to the point where my achilles wasn't sore after running in them. As with anything, that time will vary from person to person.

As for my 5K time, it was slower for a while as I got used to the VFF and to POSE running in general, but it has subsequently improved. I PR'd a couple times this summer on 5Ks. Can't say I'd attribute all that to the shoes, or specifically to POSE running. Just as likely due to doing lots of CFE workouts. However, the POSE running has helped my knees and hips, and the VFF help keep me in good POSE form.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I just can't get used to my VFF's for running. I wear vivo barefoot's Dharma's to work every day. I've had my VFF's for about 2 years and been forefoot running that whole time. When I run in them I am a gauranteed 1-2min slower per mile. The balls of my feet hurt and sometimes the tops of them feel like stress fractures.

Last week I jogged a light mile in the morning in my Vibrams...time around 9:30 and feeling a noticeable limp. That afternoon I tried to jog again at the same pace in my pumas...time about 8:30 without trying to be faster and no pain.

I have a friend who wears them and gets huge blisters on the ball of his feet. My wife sometimes gets stress fracture like feelings as well from time to time.

I'm not trying to be the chicken little of VFF's. I like wearing mine for some things. I think I might benefit from a model with slightly more padding at the ball of the foot though, like the Trek Sports perhaps.

But if I can run faster in a pair of Puma's and still run on my forefoot with no pain afterwards I think my VFF Sprints are getting shelved. If you have to wear them every day and run in them every other day to get them to feel ok then it's not worth it to me.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian O'Laughlin View Post
I'm curious if folks have experienced any variation in running performance when wearing the VFFs (vs 'regular' shoes)? For example, is your 5K time faster or slower?

Thanks!

Most of the vlogs / blogs / articles / journals I've seen coming from runners who made the switch reported that their times were slower as their body adjusted.

My experience probably doesn't count because I got into VFFs only a few weeks after I started to run again -- so I saw steady improvements.