CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
James Robert Smith

Profile:  
Hello, my name is James Smith. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a 23 year old strongman competitior/powerlifter. I currently weigh 315lbs and I am 6 feet tall.

I am making the switch to Crossfit and bodyweight training because I am interested in being not only very strong but also as healthy as I can be. I want to have loads of endurance while still having alot of power. I want to increase my tendon and ligament strength as I have had several minor injuries in the past and am just overcoming one at the moment.

I would like to get down to a bodyweight of about 250lbs if that is possible. I am not sure if I will be able to loose that much weight while maintaining a healthy bodyfat %. I am going to do as much reading as possible but I was hoping that the members who read this post could please give me their input on this change in training and let me know if you think a powerlifter can make the switch with sucess. My ultimate goal is to get involved in martial arts as well and get into Pride Fighting and MMA. I look forward to reading your replys and if anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Jay Ashman

Profile:
I did the same thing, you are making the right step.

You can still incorporate SM/PL training with Crossfit, a lot of people here do that.

Look at some of the older posts for information.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
James,
Do a search from the main page on "ME Black Box". Coach Rut devised a program wherein on the middle day of each 3 day WOD cycle, you're doing Max effort power or Olympic movements. The others you're doing the WOD.

John Hackleman uses Crossfit for his fighters and believes it to be the best conditioning program for MMA. Think it's worked for Chuck Liddell?

I want to have loads of endurance while still having alot of power
You're in the right place. Welcome.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
James Robert Smith

Profile:  
Thanks guys, I will definately check out the sources you suggested and put them to use. Please keep the advice coming, I can really use it.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
James Robert Smith

Profile:  
Finally got off my big *** and ran today. I ran 1/2 a mile, walked 1 mile, ran another 1/2 mile, then finished it up with another 1/4 mile of walking.

This was not easy for me at my current level of cardiovascular fitness and body weight. Like I said I am just starting to make the switch from powerlifting to Crossfit. I did sled pulling for my powerlifting GPP but only in runs of like 200 feet and then 1 minute rest.

In short, in my opinion I am weak and out of shape to boot, this is a situation that I must do something about fast because I do not like myself at all at the moment.

From now on this will be my training journal, I will post everything I do in this freaking thing. I need to make some major changes in my life. Any input would be appreciated guys, until then, later.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
Hey James,
I do not like myself at all at the moment.
IMO, the first thing you need to work-on is your attitude. Not being satisfied is one thing, not liking yourself is another. If the former is what you meant, be careful with your internal language; you do process it and can make that your reality. The past is the past. Regardless of whether or not you're where you'd like to be in regards your fitness, you're are working on improving it today. Self-loathing is not part of improving. Ditch it and replace it with excitement. You've found the path to fitness; focus on that instead.

Also, daily posts should be posted in the WOD forum. BTW, check out Anthony B.'s journal entries in the WOD forum. There might be some useful stuff in there for you.

Best,
Old 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Jay Ashman

Profile:
ME Black Box.... I have the jist of that I think.

So this is it basically...

WOD 1, Max Effort, WOD 3? Repeat?

Missing anything?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
Jay, you're missing the rest day: day 1 WOD, day 2 Black box/max effort on 1 or 2 lifts, day 3 WOD, day 4 rest

Thre is a certain logic/method in the blackbox, but I've not lokked into this yet. I can tell from Anthony B's training logbook it works very good.

Have fun, Johan
Old 05-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:
Jay,
There's actually a fair bit more. I would recommend getting Issue 3 of The Performance Menu.
http://www.performancemenu.com/backi...ssues&start=10
It breaks down the specifics of the ME days and is only $5. Money well spent.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
James,
welcome to CF and I suggest you get in touch with Kurtis Bowler of Rainier CF. He is a strongman competitor and CF athlete, and owner of Rainier CF near Tacoma, WA. I was there last Sat. and the Sat w/o was 4 rounds of run 400 meters, ropeclimb, then shoulder a large lifting stone 5- 10 times, depending on the size stone. Kurtis did 5 reps with a 200# granite stone each round. Kurtis is about 6'1" and 235#, very solid - looks like a pre-steroids NFL linebacker. Later that day, Kurtis had a test run of pulling a large, old double decker English bus in a local parking lot. hey will be doing a strongman fundraising event later this summer (I think).

Kurtis would be a great source for questions on how to mix CF and strongman.

Tom