CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
Zach Davis

Profile:
So,

I'm almost always a weekend athlete... I'm a climber, backcountry snowboarder, etc...

90% of my weekends involve 2 long days of full-body endurance.

Perhaps I;m not seeing a larger picture, but I have trouble imagining myself doing the WOD on the same day that I've just been hiking and snowboarding for 8 hours... at least not effectively.

Is there anyone else out there on a similar schedule? And, if so, how are you managing to incorporate the Crossfit program into it, without missing out on portions of the training?

Zach
Old 04-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Remember that that 3 day on, 1 day off schedule on the main-page is just one manifestation of Crossfit programming. If you need weekends free, try the 5 day on 2 day off giving you Saturday and Sunday. Better yet, throw in a bit of periodization that allows you to back off on Friday and Monday for recovery, then crank up the intensity on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. So a possible schedule might be:
Monday- Light Met-con: Rowing, Running, Swimming. perhaps throw in some gymnastics techniques training.
Tuesday- Fran
Wednesday- Max-Effort Lift: Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Press, Clean and Jerk. Handstand and L-sit training
Thursday- Longer bodyweight Met-con- Mary, Cindy etc.
Friday- Light Met-con, 400m tempo runs or 20-30min trail run
Sat/Sun- climb, ski, hike etc.

Depending on your overall recovery strategy (sleep, diet, stress-levels) you can play around with the intensity that you can sustain on such a program. You might be able to crank it up a notch, or switch around the days a bit to vary the stimulus. Just a couple of ideas that might work. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Zach,
I would consider a day of intense snowboarding (or insert other fun physical sport here) as my crossfit w/o. I would insert a rest day to follow two hard days of it. I would pick-up the WOD the rest of the week and start again. I do not beleive missing some of the WOD will be a problem. I miss portions of the crossfit week due to my call schedule and need to sometimes work for >24hrs straight at a time then try to get sleep in order. I just remain "flexible" and move on. I would much rather be boarding or climbing, but I get by.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The reason your training so hard is...to do your weekend sports better, faster, stronger, longer! Don't worry about missing WODs, if your doing your sport. You may want to restructure days off so you get 4 workouts in Mon - Fri (Mon,Tue - Thurs, Fri). Then with the two weekend "real world" workouts, you are sticking with a 6 workouts a week schedule. See how that impacts your weekend and adjust as necessary.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Zach Davis

Profile:
Been doing some more looking around...

I don't know why this didn't occur to me before; I can pick a month out of the archives, then follow the 3-day cycles on Tue-Thurs. Saturday and Sunday are sport days, unless I'm at home (like this weekend), in which case I can throw in some WODs and some hiking, cycling, etc...

Monday or Friday can be catch-up days if I'm looking to improve a specific area, or to continue rehab on injuries. I could also take either of these days or both as pure rest days.

I'll post back to let you know how it goes.

Zach
Old 04-17-2006, 05:59 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Zach, sounds good. Don't cherry pick workouts you are good at. As a matter of fact, you should hit workouts which you know you will suck at!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

I'm in the same thing. I motocross 1-2 weekends a month and practice the other weekend days. I think your plan, of Tues-Thurs WOD, and Monday & Fridays off or light work will work out well. Thats pretty much what I am doing now. Some weekends I will double up with a WOD and some practice riding, but honesty I thnk its to much. You want to be at your best even when you practice your sport. That old saying "you play like you practice" I thnk has some merit.