CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Simon Bowley

Profile:
SS for skinny blokes

In my second week of SS. Weights for the exercises have been shockingly low; used to do triathlons so lots of cardio but realise I'm very weak. Working on technique currently, esecially cleans.

Squat 132
Bench 99
Dead 154
Press 73
Clean 90

Been honest with these weights, although slightly embarrasing! Yes, they are in pounds....

Is there anyone out there who started "light" and really improved? Especially those on the lighter side. I need to increase the milk intake even though I quite like it it's hard work!

Looking forward to my first cert in Manchester UK and trying to get into better shape for it!

Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Aaron Trent

Profile:
Re: SS for skinny blokes

When I did my first CFT in Dec 2006 I Deadlifted 155lbs. My current 1RM is 265lbs at 132lbs bwt. I should be pulling that for reps in a few weeks! I am an endurance athlete, I race bicycles but I still manage a day or 2 of heavy (for me) lifting each week.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bowley View Post

Is there anyone out there who started "light" and really improved? Especially those on the lighter side. I need to increase the milk intake even though I quite like it it's hard work!
Simon, starting weights and over all strength are relative.

Follow the program to a T, eat more food, drink you milk, sleep more then you think you need---End of Story......................

Good job going to cert, but strength or a certain fitness level is required or even needed, just a burning passion to learn and hang out with like minded people.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Simon Bowley

Profile:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jay, did you mean strength and a certain level of fitness ISN'T required or even needed? I hope so....!!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Simon,

It is Starting Strength. It's specifically for novice lifters, and you'll be likely to see greater relative gains on this program than someone who is stronger from past lifting experience. Give it a shot, as rx'd.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Tom Fetter

Profile:

February a year ago, I was a couch potato. I found the CF website, and swiftly decided to do a SS cycle before starting into daily WODs. Did 3 months, got distracted a bit, then started WODs in earnest on July 1.

I broke from daily WODs in early Feb this year, for another 7 week SS cycle - am now back at WODs again.

First squat workout in my first SS cycle, I squatted #135. I'm now squatting #310.

It works.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Simon Bowley

Profile:

Tom - awesome! And inspiring! Thanks for that...
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Steven Quadros

Profile:

You look like goliath compared to my starting numbers:

95 lb squat, 135 dead lift, 95 bench (yes, same as my chicken legs squat), and 55 lb OHP.

This week will be the end of my second month (8 weeks), and I'll be squatting 225 (if everything goes well with 215 tomorrow), DL 245, Benching around 175, and OHP 105-110. Once the form comes and you start grooving the movement, you learn to push yourself to places you're not necessarily used to going, at least lifting wise. Being a triathlete you are probably familiar with the mental aspect, which, for me, can be difficult to overcome. I've become so intense about not missing my reps on the squat that I push through that voice that, while I'm huffing away for breath on rep 3, tell me to rack it and give up on it. I'd rather miss onto the safety than just not attempt it.

Hmmm, long story short, I gave myself time and a low enough starting weight to get form down and then powered through. You'll do fine, probably much better than, considering I had no conditioning or athletic background before.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bowley View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Jay, did you mean strength and a certain level of fitness ISN'T required or even needed? I hope so....!!
Correct, Isn't needed.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #10
Simon Bowley

Profile:

Thanks Jay, makes me feel better!

Pretty wiped out from yesterday's squat/bench/dead SS workout. Every workout increasing 2.5kg per lift which is nice. It would be an idea to get hold of some smaller plates as progression will probably slow at some point in the future?