CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Jason Needler

Profile:
Hi all, new to this stuff ... maybe I should clarify: by "this stuff", I mean crossfit. Im in the Army, have dabbled heavily in exercises, martial arts, capoeira, sports, etc. I stumbled on the "Olympic Body" article, http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/ and now here I am.

I am looking for advice on my workout plan.

I tried the CrossFit Test and got a 187 total, wasn't very happy with it: 6 pullups (ugh), 45 pushups, 76 situps, 60 squats. I think I could have got the 200 I was planning on, but for some reason I paused for a sec on the squats (still not sure why ... didn't intend to ... body sabotaged me! ;) I'm sure I could have pressed on and knocked out another 15-30, but I decided to call it since movement had ceased. I will redo in about 6-8 weeks and see how this is going.

I hesitate to post here, because I don't intend to follow crossfit exactly ... but I like a lot of the principles / theories Im reading and this website was a major motivator in me redesigning my fitness plan. I intend to focus almost solely on bodyweight exercises. I have made some small steps towards making my basement gym (no garage :-)); I made paralettes and have the wood for a 24" plyo-box (already had a pullup bar, but never used it ... did 6 pullups give it away?).

Today I did 3 rounds of:
crunches x25
divebomb pushup x15
pullup x5
squat x35

Times were 4:12, 3:46, and 4:51, with 1 to 2 minutes rest between rounds. Last set of pullups were all jumping pullups.

Tomorrow I plan to do:
wall ball x25
tuck chin up (palms toward face) x5
wall ball x50
wall ball x25

If anyone has a better 'pulling / crunching' exercise than the tuck chins, Im all ears. I just picked it because it seems to complement the wallball.

So, thanks for bothering to read the whole thing! I'm looking forward to sucking, err, picking the brains of the 'elites' here.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Are pullups part of army fitness tests?

Anyway, I'd start at the FAQ and scaled WOD's from there... I'd suggest doing the WOD over your workouts, without exterior motivation we tend to pick those workouts we like the most... Today's WOD is all bodyweight exercises, try it with less reps.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Jason Needler

Profile:
No, pullups arent part of the Army PT test, a big reason I had been ignoring them. Fixing that now.

Yes, read the FAQ, read "What is Fitness," and lots of other items. I saw the WOD and will do it, but I had already planned / executed my own when I saw todays WOD. I just know I can't rely on the WODs because the majority rely on lifts. Not that thats wrong, obviously, but I haven't gotten into lifting yet. Thats why Im trying to use crossfit principles to come up with effective bodyweight routines, but I will definitely use crossfit WODs that are bodyweight. And yes, I would definitely have to scale todays WOD.

A different subject ... I read the "Home Gym" article, got all motivated, went out and bought wood to make a plyo-box. When I went through a month of archived WODs, not a single one used the box. :-( I plan to use it, but first I need to build it (duh), and maybe I ought to get a mat before I use it. Jumping down on the hard concrete floor might not be the best thing for my kees.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Jason Needler

Profile:
Oh-my-gawd!!!!!

I had no idea those wallballs could be so punishing.
My hands are shaking as I type this ... I LOVE IT!!!!! I did my

wall ball x25
wall ball x50
wall ball x25
My total time was 7:25; the ball was 14-15 lbs. I know, because it said "14-15 lb" right on the ball... I guess it couldn't make up it's mind. It certainly felt like it got heavier towards the end! :wink:

Tomorrow is a self-prescribed rest day. I will recover and plan at least for Saturday's workout.

Still welcoming thoughts / comments / advice.

(Message edited by jneedler on March 08, 2007)
Old 03-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
Jason,
take a look at the program I wrote for the norwigian policeman. mix sprints, jumps, towing, hitting, slamming things in your bodyweight exercises , do all movements technical correct (video exercises on main page)
Do it faster next time, have fun doing it and you will get far.
my .02 C
Old 03-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Jason Needler

Profile:
Johan, what is the link to your program? I'll look at it.

This is what I did yesterday - 3 rounds for time:
400m Run
5x Pullups
50m Bear Crawl

Time was 11:08. Metcon effect was tremendous, not so much for muscle development (mostly core muscles). I think I could have done under 10:00 if I had pushed my self harder / hadn't stopped (two breaks, was really sucking wind).
Old 03-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Jason,

Out of curiosity, where did you see the reference to the Crossfit test? It seems like a easy, quick self-testing mechanism.

Thanks...

howard
Old 03-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Jason Needler

Profile:
Howard, the thread starts here:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/37056.html

Basically, it suggests doing max reps of pullups, pushups, situps, and squats, then adding up all your reps for a score. No rest in between, move straight from one to the next. I liked it as a 'benchmark' of current fitness (much easier than administering an Army Physical Fitness Test to myself). There is also a thread discussing a similar idea using weights; I think it was called the CrossFit Skill Test (CFST). I'm sure you can find it with the search function.

Good luck to you!