CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Chuck Castleberry

Profile:
Newbie.. ??

I've been glancing around on the forum for a month or so now and finally decided to join up! I first started crossfit about a year ago but since this April of have been doing nothing else. And as of this past Monday I just started my own 30 day Paleo challenge and I had some questions. I am 23 yo 5'10" and on Monday I was 190lbs with around 15% (last time I had it checked was in January), I've already dropped about 5 lb. I thought that was a little much so I plugged a couple of days in fitday and came up with about 2000 cal a day give or take. My profile on there said to maintain I need to hit around 2800. Am I going to low? I don't have energy busting out the seams but I think that is mostly switching of grains and such, oh and my goals to get my bf % to right around 10 without losing any muscle then just enjoy the paleo lifestyle (was on a calorie restricted normal diet before this). Thanks in advance for any help
Old 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Daniel Quinn

Profile:
Re: Newbie.. ??

Hi, Chuck.

There are definitely others around who are better qualified than me, but I wanted to give you my $0.02.

I had a very similar thread that's on the 2nd page of the Nutrition page, called Fitday Activity Tab (WFS - http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=59484.)

It addresses some of what you're concerned about. Long story short, there are two ways you can work with FitDay. Either use it to track both your foods and activities, in which case it will likely say you need to eat MORE calories, or use FitDay to track your foods while you use the calculators on this site (WFS - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) to independently do your BMR & activity level (the Harris-Benedict Equation is the preferred one, using an activity factor of 1.55).

The latter will give you more of an average calorie count, and thus be a bit more conservative.

Also, folks around here generally recommend that if you are looking to shed weight, really go LOW with the carbs, especially pre- and post-workout. It will affect your performance in the short-term, but once you get to that sub-10% BF level, you can start chasing performance and adding carbs back in to the equation.

Robb Wolf . com has a great post on this ( WFS- http://*************/2009/07/01/post...h-or-low-carb/)

Just replace the **** with robb wolf . com, and it should get you there.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Chuck Castleberry

Profile:

Thanks Daniel, took a look at robb wolf's article and the other thread and I found some stuff on marks daily plate too. Looks like I'm gonna have to cut back on carbs next week after I finish eating all I bought for this week. I am avg. about 140g a day for now, I'm gonna try and shoot for half of that next week. Should I replace it with both proteins and fats? Thats gonna be a ton of protein to keep around. I'm eating 1g per lb of body weight already.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Daniel Quinn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Castleberry View Post
Thanks Daniel, took a look at robb wolf's article and the other thread and I found some stuff on marks daily plate too. Looks like I'm gonna have to cut back on carbs next week after I finish eating all I bought for this week. I am avg. about 140g a day for now, I'm gonna try and shoot for half of that next week. Should I replace it with both proteins and fats? Thats gonna be a ton of protein to keep around. I'm eating 1g per lb of body weight already.
For me, it's really tough to keep the carb intake under 100 grams. I've been averaging around 115, but it's all good carbs so I'm not that worried. I think you'd have to eat like a Tyrannosaurus Rex to be under 50.

Yes, replace the carbs w/ fats & protein. That's where FitDay is great because it gives you the breakdown of where your calories are coming from, in pie-chart form.

High quality whey protein works wonders (even though it's not truly paleo) for getting your protein intake in equilibrium with your Lean Body Mass (1 gram for every pound of LBM). Also, avocados/guacamole and coconut milk are really, really great ways to get a nice dose of healthy fats.

My breakdown has been 49% fats, 33% protein, 18% carbs, which seems pretty good for what my goals are at the moment (fat loss). But longer-term, I need to get more fresh fruits & veggies.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Chuck Castleberry

Profile:

Did my bodyfat with the handheld thingy today (not sure how accurate it is). Came in at 11%! Also did some muscle ups for the first time!!! Its been an awesome day overall! Still feeling pretty good but am definitely feeling tired right now. I'm keeping my carb intake right around 20% for the past couple days and I'm not used to it yet. Won't have to keep them down much longer though. Also ordered some rings. 30 muscle ups by this time next month!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Daniel Quinn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Castleberry View Post
Did my bodyfat with the handheld thingy today (not sure how accurate it is). Came in at 11%! Also did some muscle ups for the first time!!! Its been an awesome day overall! Still feeling pretty good but am definitely feeling tired right now. I'm keeping my carb intake right around 20% for the past couple days and I'm not used to it yet. Won't have to keep them down much longer though. Also ordered some rings. 30 muscle ups by this time next month!
Although hose hand-held things are notoriously unreliable, 11% is a really great number. I've had ton of difficulty and been unable to get below 13% over the past few years.

Muscle-ups are a sweet benchmark to hit. The few times I've been around rings I've given them a shot, but never really come close. I'm sure technique is a big reason why, but who cares? Congrats on that.