CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:
Weighted vest questions

You guys might think this is funny, but back when I was younger, I was a big fan of Dragonball and it made me want to do like they do: Wear heavy clothes (they wear body vest, wrist and ankles bands), 20lbs each if I remember correctly, all the time. I was actually hoping it would make me stronger/faster. Anyways fast forward to now, ever since I started doing Crossfit, I've started considering the idea again (at least with a body vest for a start) and I had a question for you guys.

What are the real benefits of wearing a body vest when you do every WOD with it? (assuming it's not bad to do every WOD with a body vest). How much can it increase my time/performance/strength in the different WOD?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Weighted vest questions

Benefits is it's a scale-up which means it makes it harder. Maybe even significantly harder, lol.

Like any scale up, it will make the workout without the vest much easier and similarly if the same kinetic chains are used in other workouts they will be easier as well. Kinetic chain being your posterior chain, pushing, pulling, etc. So doing 100 squats with the 20 lbs weight vest will probably help your box jumps because both are posterior chain but will probably not help your pullups.. since it's posterior vs. pulling in that case.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:

ok ok I get it, thanks for the info. However I have two more questions that I forgot to ask. Let's say I always do Chin-Ups with a 20lbs weighted vest, would this increase my 1RM on Chin-Ups faster than if I didn't?

Do I need a minimal level of conditioning before using the vest? Assuming I can do 15 rounds on Cindy, but then with the vest I can barely do 3-4... Would I still be better off using the vest? or in this case I'd be better without?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Personally I think you'd get a better benefit from doing WODs like Cindy as rx'd rather than with added weight -- particularly if it's dropping you from 15 rounds to 4 rounds. You might get a decent strength workout with it, but I have a feeling you'd be losing a lot of the benefits of a solid metcon workout.

There are other WODs though, like Murph that you can definitely add that vest to. Personally if I had a vest, I probably wouldn't use it in the WODs that are "for time" until I could really get proficient with it.

There's probably more benefit to doing a solid metcon workout as rx'd than to doing only half of one with added weight. Eventually if you incorporate the vest into other WODs, or into your CFWU (maybe not such a bad idea, actually), you'll get better with it and then can eventually start adding it into your WODs to the point where it doesn't compromise the metcon aspect to such a degree.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Nicolas
A drop from 15 to 3 rounds is too much of a decrease. Once you can do a workout with constant work at a consistent pace, add more weight. Until that point, you still have more improvements you can do with the Rx'd. As Elliot suggested, you may want to begin with any extra weight in the warm-up.

Just be sure you get a vest that fits snugly and won't break.

Edit: Forgot to mention... When I first used my weighted vest at the school's weight room, at least three people told me it was like DBZ, and I had had thought too. Hahahah. http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1...onwackobz7.gif
Old 12-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:

It depends on where you are at, and what your goals are. Eg for exercises where you are over 20 or so consecutive reps you need to add weight for the exercise to be a strength training exercise. If your goal is stamina in the exercise then you wouldn't want to add weight. Of course to be CrossFit you want to mix it up and work it both ways. What's better Squatting 250 for 5 reps or squatting 100 for 30. That depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I wear a weight vest pretty regularly for bodyweight type exercises. My primary goal in these is strength for my gymnastics work.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

If you want to add strength days you can add weighted pullup days or squats or whatever you want to add to the CF schedule.

As it is I wouldn't add anything especially if you're decreasing that much like others said.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you want to add strength days you can add weighted pullup days or squats or whatever you want to add to the CF schedule.

As it is I wouldn't add anything especially if you're decreasing that much like others said.
Oh I'm not decreasing I don't even have a vest it was just hypothetical
Old 12-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Oh this is all hypothetical? In that case, who needs fitness when you can just unleash a Kamehameha on your foes.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #10
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I second the idea of weighted pull-ups. How else are you going to increase your potential endurance for kipping pull-ups?