CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Steven Becker

Profile:
Just finished Murph for the 2nd time at 45:00. Looked up my last time and it was 53:26 - w0w. I did all pullups, then pushups, then squats as I believe the workout is intended. Partitioning the work I did 5 pullups where I would usually do 10 or try for 12 and it worked out faster. Same with the pushups (10 rep sets) and squats (30 rep sets). Any comments on breakdown and how short sets and rest helps or hurts? How does it effect power output to break things up and rest a little - 10 pushups 10 breaths, etc...
OR would it be better to do as many reps till failure again and again till finished
Old 12-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Power = work/time. Regardless of whether you're doing all the pullups, pushups and squats in a block manner or whether you're breaking them into rounds (like Cindy) the formula holds true. The amount of work does not change...it's always a total of 100 pullups, 200 pushups and 300 squats. Assuming good form, anything you're doing to reduce the amount of time the workout takes results in a greater power output.

That said, there are reasons (good ones) to work in a block manner. There are also some workouts that call specifically for this (Angie). There always seems to be debate on the precise method of doing Murph and what exactly is meant by "partition". It would be good to get official clarification. I have done it using both methods.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:20 AM   #3
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Hey! A Matt G. sighting!

Steven, were you breaking the reps up during the course of completing the block of the pullups, etc., or were you cycling it like Cindy (i.e., 5-10 pullups, 10 pushups, 20 squats, etc.)?

My experience with the second method(mostly from talking to others)is that it results in faster times. I would suspect it is a combination of allowing specific muscles to recover slightly in between efforts and improving the second mile time.

As far as breaking things up while completing the block of one exercise, you are better off breaking it up into manageable chunks, and not killing yourself to failure every set. You'll maintain a much better pace.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Brad Davis

Profile:
Sorry for the semi-hijack, but today's (12/9/06) WoD is 3 rounds of 400m run, 12 snatches, and 21 pull-ups, and I have a similar question.

I don't know which is worse, to ask the question here, or to ask a very similar question right beside this thread on the main screen.

If I do the workout in that precise order, I'll have to break up the pull-ups into a massive bunch of singles starting about halfway through the second round. Whenever I do this, my heartrate and breathing return to almost normal and I don't think I get much of a metcon workout.

Is it acceptable in this case to redefine a "round" as follows?

400m run
3 snatches
6 pullups
3 snatches
6 pullups
3 snatches
6 pullups
3 snatches
3 pullups

I think I could keep going at an intense pace for much longer if I did that and the number of reps would be unchanged. I don't understand the philosophy behind the block sizes, so I don't know if this defeats some purpose. How does one know when it is NOT ok to do this?

Thanks in advance.
DBD
Old 12-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Brad,
You can do what you want, but you will not be doing the prescribed workout, and you can't take credit for doing the prescribed workout.

That said, you did *a* workout, and you can record it as such.

How do you know when it's not ok? It's always "OK" but it's not the WOD. Do it, note what you did, and drive on. But don't compare your time/effort to people who did it as prescribed.

The WODs, as noted in the FAQ, are very literal. If it says rounds of 21-15-9, you do all 21 of one exercise, all 21 of the next, etc. Then all 15, then all 9. In many (most) of the WODs it's expected that you'll be partitioning the work, but the partitions are within the exercise. So for 21 pullups, you might have to do 3 sets of 7. Or 7 sets of 3. Obviously, the more you can do, the faster your time.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Brad Davis

Profile:
Lynne:

Thanks for the reply. I don't care about comparing to others because I'm scaling most of the WoD anyway and am so slow that it would be demoralizing!

I'm just trying to figure out how to get a better MetCon workout. Take the WoD from two days ago for example. It was thrusters and pullups. I barely broke a sweat and wasn't huffing and puffing at all because I ended up doing so many pullup singles, separated by 5-10 seconds each. I started doing singles after getting to about 20-25 in the first round and was doing singles pretty much the whole time after that. I think I could reduce that by switching back and forth between the exercises more times.

With that logic, does it make sense for me to redefine the "round" as I proposed? I don't care if it's the Official WoD and I'll record it in my log exactly as it was performed.

Thank you.
DBD
Old 12-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Charles Applin

Profile:
Just note how you did it. Personally, I like to be a bit more detailed when I post my results. Reason is I'll be comparing it against myself later on down the road.

Don't be demoralized by slow times. You're not going to run faster than a car, lift more than a crane or do more pull-ups than a chimpanzee; so why be demoralized being slower than someone in better shape? Get pumped up at the idea of how you'll do much better the next time this exercise comes around. Compete against yourself, not others.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
Brad Davis

Profile:
Thanks Charles. I'm doing as you recommended in your second paragraph. It only took me a week or two to figure out that I was starting in sorry shape, LOL! I keep beating my old scores and that's all I care about at the moment.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
Luis Munoz

Profile:
Brad,

It's totally up to you. Try your modified workout out. I would suggest trying it both ways. Do either the prescribed WOD or your modified version today and then try the other one in a couple of days/weeks and see which way you prefer. Although there are great benefits to be had by performing the WOD in the manner prescribed on the main page, modifying it in the manner you described could be advantageous for someone who is looking to maintain a higher pace in the workout. In the end it's your workout and there is nothing wrong with trying out new modifications. As Lynne stated, you won't be doing the posted WOD but you'll still get a great workout.

Take it easy.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
Brad Davis

Profile:
Thanks Luis.